U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'd be hard-pressed *not* to practice this; it's what I've always done without thinking about it. It's never had any effect on my weight that I can tell, ie I gained and lost weight through the years while doing it.

I finally shed my unwanted 20 lbs in 2007-08 and have kept if off for 2.5 years now. Along the way, I accidentally discovered the very simple trick that works for me: diet to lose the weight, exercise to keep it off.
What was your method to losing the 20 lb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
NEG ~ I'm a grazer, I eat about 5 times a day and my last consumption of food is around 6:30 PM. I usually eat a very healthy breakfast around 7 am !! I've maintained size 10 for most of my adult life
Size 10 I'm not far from that but I do have to watch eating dinners too late, must come from my European background of eating late...and not walking it off afterward. Many health/sci journals are citing this, more than overeating, as a culprit in weight retention. Now that I'm teaching mornings I think I'll start eating my last meal at 4 and see how that goes.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:33 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,867,988 times
Maybe this has already been mentioned, but take very good care of your teeth now! They are expensive to repair later.

We're in our 50's, both of us have good teeth, but really take extra good care now. We stepped up the cleaning to 4x/year (you don't need to just do what insurance pays for, we go to a dental school and get cleanings for $10), got a good sonicare brush, etc.

Once teeth start to go, they don't come back. They just get worse and worse, and many retirees don't have dental insurance. My aunt & uncle finally had to give up on their teeth, it cost too much to repair/replace them. Be especially good to your teeth now! You cna't afford not to

Old 08-11-2011, 08:07 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
Default The critical importance of dental health

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Maybe this has already been mentioned, but take very good care of your teeth now! They are expensive to repair later.

We're in our 50's, both of us have good teeth, but really take extra good care now. We stepped up the cleaning to 4x/year (you don't need to just do what insurance pays for, we go to a dental school and get cleanings for $10), got a good sonicare brush, etc.

Once teeth start to go, they don't come back. They just get worse and worse, and many retirees don't have dental insurance. My aunt & uncle finally had to give up on their teeth, it cost too much to repair/replace them. Be especially good to your teeth now! You cna't afford not to
I agree. There are studies which have established a correlation between oral health and the health of the rest of the body. The mouth is not walled off, but is part of the body. It is not an accident that the word "plaque" is used both for deposits inside our coronary arteries and deposits around the teeth at and just below the gum line. Dental plaque harbors bacteria and contributes to general bodily inflammation. In addition, if left unchecked, it results in gum problems resulting in bone loss and tooth loss. It is critically important to have a professional cleaning at least every six months, and more often if there are problems with excessive plaque. If one goes more than 36 hours or so without brushing or flossing, the plaque hardens and can no longer be removed by brushing or flossing. I, too, have adopted a schedule of every three months for professional cleaning (an ounce of prevention...).

Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 AM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What was your method to losing the 20 lb?
Everyone is different. South Beach diet works for me. The lbs just melt off.

I had done SB a couple of times before and had no problems losing the weight, but I regained it because I wasn't exercising enough.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:58 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,806,552 times
Tried all the different diets over the years. The only one that has ever worked is Weight Watchers.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:58 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
What works for me is taking control over my addictions (sugar & junk ) and making the choice between eating what I want, and eating what is truly healthy for my body !

Old 08-14-2011, 07:27 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,806,552 times
Well said; agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
What works for me is taking control over my addictions (sugar & junk ) and making the choice between eating what I want, and eating what is truly healthy for my body !

Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 AM

156 posts, read 110,556 times
Staying young is not an option but the staying healthy is a possibility for everyone.

I've always been fit and never had a weight problem. The one problem I have is, with the effect of 63 odd year's of gravity on my body. Bits are, as described by Dolly Parton, "saggin' and baggin'". But I suppose at this age ... who really cares?

I'm now reduced to very easy exercise, walking and slow (very!!) jogging on the beach, some cycling and playing golf, eating well ... and my few flabby bits.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 3,150 times
Nice reading all of the comments, definitely gave me a lift. Just returned home. I've survived spinal surgery and the terrible food served in rehab. I realize recovery is a process and much patience is required. Staying young and healthy during retirement definitiely relates to how well you take care of yourself. Keep up with physicals and exams, exercise regularly and stay positive, look forward to future possibilites rather than past couldas, shouldas, wouldas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or