U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:50 PM

4 posts, read 3,157 times

Advertisements

Don't be afraid to challenge your Doctors and health providers, they are human and can and do make mistakes, especially now that health care has become a business and doctors are regulated to so many minutes per person. Beware of services provided by free clinics, doctors and health providers are definitely over taxed, often receiving free sample medications and you become the guinea pig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 02:37 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,610,770 times
LISTEN TO YOUR BODY ! I recently self-diagnosed gluten intolerance and eliminating wheat/barley/rye from my food choices has made a huge difference in my well being !

Old 10-11-2011, 06:30 PM

570 posts, read 1,145,787 times
newenglandgirl, I just came across this thread. Just want to say thanks and that I enjoy and get a lot out of threads you have started! Always great questions/points that generate a lot of good discussion

Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,610,770 times
Default This is SO TRUE !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Trying To Be Fine View Post
Don't be afraid to challenge your Doctors and health providers, they are human and can and do make mistakes, especially now that health care has become a business and doctors are regulated to so many minutes per person. Beware of services provided by free clinics, doctors and health providers are definitely over taxed, often receiving free sample medications and you become the guinea pig.
I just noticed this post and must agree 100% !

All of us who have access to a computer should take advantage of it as a tool for educating ourselves on nutrition and health options, etc. After all, it is our bodies, our health and up to us to take control.

All over the news this week are reports of vitamins causing illness ???? ~~ the total opposite of what the medical profession has told us before ~ so who to trust ?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,040,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
All over the news this week are reports of vitamins causing illness ???? ~~ the total opposite of what the medical profession has told us before ~ so who to trust ?
Nothing I have read about these claims that vitamins are harmful specify who paid for the study, how it was designed, what form of Vitamin E, for example, was used, etc.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I haven't been tuned into this. Can you provide a link?

The pharmaceuticals have been trying to outlaw nutritional supplements for a long time now. It wouldn't surprise me if they're behind the latest effort.

OTOH, I can truly say I have never felt any better or healthier in connection with supplements--vitamins, minerals, fish oils, CQ10, amino acids, digestive enzymes, herbs of all kinds for all ailments and chronic problems, etc etc. I've probably spent a small fortune over the years. My mother lived without doctors or hospitals to 92, and never a capsule or pill passed her lips, other than aspirin. Sometimes I think that whatever we need we need to get with real foods (yes, I know about the quality of soil, etc). I just have never experienced any improvements from any supplement I've ever taken.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:28 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
I have had success with fish oil, CoQ10 and red rice yeast in lowering choelestrol. My doctors agree they have worked for me over the years.

But people must take caution with anything they ingest. Vitamin D is now being touted as the lastest vitamin dujour of cure-alls. However it can be deadly for people with some illnesses. The important thing to remember is that one size does not fit all and each person needs to research and determine what will be best for them.

Hooray for the Internet which gives us the opportunity to learn all we can about anything we need to know.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:38 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,874,356 times
From memory, the vitamin study was done on older women in a particular age group and the difference between the vitamin-takers and the non-takers in health was miniscule--about one-half of percentage point...I'm going to keep taking mine as I rarely eat dairy and am a believer in Vitamin C for cold prevention. YMMV.

I'm healthier than many in my age group so what the heck.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:03 PM

454 posts, read 602,364 times
A lot depends on your genes and just plain luck when considering health issues for those 55+. People at 90 can be as vibrant and illness-free as a 30 year old, or have the misfortune of multiple health problems. Gratefully, I am good health, take only vitamins and aspirin. Being active too is a must, again, depending on how much or how rigorous your body can do. Walking is excellent, also having lots of hobbies to keep you happy and interested in life.

Traveling is wonderful and doesn't have to be an around the world expensive vacation. Short day trips are always fun, and depending on one's budget/finances, you can save all year and take a week or so to some state that holds your interest. And don't be afraid to travel solo!! Sometimes our friends, family, ex co-workers can't or don't want to go with you, so just go yourself! Meet a lot of interesting people and bring back wonderful memories of your trip.

Basically just eat nutritiously, keep active, listen to your body and see a physician when necessary, and ENJOY this time of life free from freeway commutes, alarm clocks, staff meetings, office gossip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or