U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I wouldn't want to be young again. Been there done that. I don't mind looking 64 because I am 64. I don't need to be young again. I don't think I want to think as I did when I was 20. I was an idiot! As long as a person keeps growing mentally and emotionally, that will make life worthwhile despite the aches and wrinkles.

I do want to be as healthy as possible.
Well I think everyone knows what is meant by "young." I have sisters and friends our age who act and function "old." I don't think many of us want to actually turn back the clock. That's one problen with the English language, there are not very many precise words, the word "young" is a catch all word that doesn't leave much room for interpretation. I bet the Eskimos (with their 27 different words for snow) have a good word for what I mean by "young"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My exposure to people in their late teen to early thirties is pretty extensive nowadays, and based on that....and reading what these same age groups have to say in various internet forums, I would say their outlook is usually exactly that: inexperienced, narrowly focused, shallow roots in their cultural heritage, and - through no fault of their own necessarily - usually precious little life experience, which provides balance, sense of proportion, frame of reference, etc.
I think the Olympiad young people (ages 16-20s) are generally more mature and experiences than most adults. They come generally from privileged backgrounds of course, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Also a lot of youth who come from disadvatnaged backgrounds are mature and hardworking and I admire their outlook given that they weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Many are working their way through college, paying for it on their own, with no guarantee of a future. I feel for our youth, they do not have the opp's that our generation had (ie, plenty of jobs). In contrast I see a number of aging boomers whose behavior and values aren't terribly commendable....

Old 02-27-2010, 06:07 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,845,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
diet excercise keep some active hobbies. mercilessly attack scammers and social rip off artists that post on CDF. get a new car like this one.
Nice ride! I also like your house behind it.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:16 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well I think everyone knows what is meant by "young." I have sisters and friends our age who act and function "old." I don't think many of us want to actually turn back the clock. That's one problen with the English language, there are not very many precise words, the word "young" is a catch all word that doesn't leave much room for interpretation. I bet the Eskimos (with their 27 different words for snow) have a good word for what I mean by "young"!
True, I was thinking in terms of behavior. Many of the young people I know are much more unbending, uptight, judgemental and downright grumpy that many of the older people I know. And some of the older people are in better physical shape and health too.

I guess I just don't equate young or old with any particular characteristics. It's more about the individual and their outlook on life than their age.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
True, I was thinking in terms of behavior. Many of the young people I know are much more unbending, uptight, judgemental and downright grumpy that many of the older people I know. And some of the older people are in better physical shape and health too.

I guess I just don't equate young or old with any particular characteristics. It's more about the individual and their outlook on life than their age.
Yes, that's what I mean--outlook and behavior (I don't mean running around in a bikini at 60, unless one looks fabulous) that has been shown in studies to affect physical health in a very positive way. I notice that when I'm positive about something that othrs might be depressed over I feel young in terms of hope and possibility. That makes me stand up straighter and appreciate my life, and I do feel young. But I guess I misnamed this thread. I should have kept out the young, but for me, young is an important word. Does anyone know how to rename a thread?

Old 03-01-2010, 07:53 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,048,324 times
I think our generation over and mis-used the word to attack our elders and claim only the young were worthwhile people. It was one of the stupider ideas thrown out in the 60's (that idiotic mantra to never trust anyone over 30). Now that we are in that elder phase ourselves, many of us don't much like the reminder of the claim that only the young are worthwhile.

I much prefer the statement that I seek to be healthy and fit both in body and mind. I wouldn't go back to being young for anything. My wisdom (such as it is) was much too hard earned and I would not give that up for anything. Along with callow youth comes much foolishness that I have no desire to return to nor do I value that.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:01 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Quote:
Yes, that's what I mean--outlook and behavior (I don't mean running around in a bikini at 60, unless one looks fabulous) that has been shown in studies to affect physical health in a very positive way. I notice that when I'm positive about something that othrs might be depressed over I feel young in terms of hope and possibility. That makes me stand up straighter and appreciate my life, and I do feel young. But I guess I misnamed this thread. I should have kept out the young, but for me, young is an important word. Does anyone know how to rename a thread?
I understood exactly what you meant and think you named your thread correctly. Young at heart is what we are talking about about. You can clearly see the difference among older adults. Regardless of age, some act and think eons older while others are just more open & positive. I have a brother that had been 90 since he was 30. Not particularly responsible but very "old" thinking and behavior. Some never grow up.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:44 PM

I"m wondering about whether anyone is taking their health matters into their own hands and avoiding doctors. Mine cannot do much if anything for my health problems and there are really no meds to help. I'm self managing with my own regime and supplements and hanging in there, wondering if anyone else is doing same.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:43 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,031 times
Talking Yup

Quote:
I"m wondering about whether anyone is taking their health matters into their own hands and avoiding doctors. Mine cannot do much if anything for my health problems and there are really no meds to help. I'm self managing with my own regime and supplements and hanging in there, wondering if anyone else is doing same.
YES, that's exactly how I live So many of today's health issues are totally preventable and I need not list them, y'all know what I mean. I maintain good health without any prescribed drugs and don't mind bragging about it

Old 03-05-2010, 09:36 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,048,324 times
Quote:
Oh yes, me too. I would not hesitate to go to doctors and hospitals for emergency care and any ailment that is mechanical. They do wonders in those areas. But I am very careful with drugs or chronic problems. There are often better and safer alternative treatments for those. I research extensively for any of my problems to determine the best path to take. Unfortunately, I also have to weed thru a lot of lies and crap.

There is longevity statistics with an inverse correlation to the number of pills one takes. It seems like most doctors are drug pushers now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or