U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:54 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,646,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
diet excercise keep some active hobbies. mercilessly attack scammers and social rip off artists that post on CDF. get a new car like this one.
yes it is my car just bought it, (paid cash)
which is why i am eating beans tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 04:09 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
Rule#1-as you age never eat beans at night. It tends to discolor leather seats in your car.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:29 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Rule#1-as you age never eat beans at night. It tends to discolor leather seats in your car.
I'll try to remember this!

Old 03-06-2010, 05:21 AM

12,705 posts, read 14,089,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes it is my car just bought it, (paid cash)
which is why i am eating beans tonight.
You didn't think to get a methane-powered one as long as you were going to be reduced to this diet, did you?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Default Losing 20 pounds

I was watching the biggest loser on TV, really impressed with how people manage to lose so much weight. I could use to lose 20 lb. I'm vegetarian, eat whole grains and fish/eggs, take supplements, and to the best of my ability try to walk daily. I don't drink or smoke. I've had this same xtra 20 lb for the last 30 yrs. Now I'm trying lemon water and the suzanne somers thing of not combining grain foods with fat or sugars, keeping them separate (how do you have toast without some kind of fat or sugar such as no-sugar jelly???) Yes I've heard about having a slice of tomato on toast, that lasts about a week. Any suggestions??

Old 03-10-2010, 06:27 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,988,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I was watching the biggest loser on TV, really impressed with how people manage to lose so much weight. I could use to lose 20 lb. I'm vegetarian, eat whole grains and fish/eggs, take supplements, and to the best of my ability try to walk daily. I don't drink or smoke. I've had this same xtra 20 lb for the last 30 yrs. Now I'm trying lemon water and the suzanne somers thing of not combining grain foods with fat or sugars, keeping them separate (how do you have toast without some kind of fat or sugar such as no-sugar jelly???) Yes I've heard about having a slice of tomato on toast, that lasts about a week. Any suggestions??
I'm trying to lose the weight that I always put on when I travel and the pounds I needed to lose before that. Lost about 10 pounds in the last 6 or 7 weeks and still want to lose about 20 more.

I no longer go on special diets or do any counting, I just eat healthy and in moderation and exercise. I get occasional treats and an occasional glass of wine or beer. Beer and wine while travelling probably accounts for at least half the weight I gain.

Do you really need to lose 20 pounds to be healthy and fit, or to be slim? I've raised my goal weight to be more realistic and maintainable. I'm too old to be skinny - it doesn't look good on me and it's not necessary to be healthy. Yo-yo-ing weight is very unhealthy. Something I'm guilty of. Consistently being 20 pounds overweight is more healthy than what I do.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I'm trying to lose the weight that I always put on when I travel and the pounds I needed to lose before that. Lost about 10 pounds in the last 6 or 7 weeks and still want to lose about 20 more.

I no longer go on special diets or do any counting, I just eat healthy and in moderation and exercise. I get occasional treats and an occasional glass of wine or beer. Beer and wine while travelling probably accounts for at least half the weight I gain.

Do you really need to lose 20 pounds to be healthy and fit, or to be slim? I've raised my goal weight to be more realistic and maintainable. I'm too old to be skinny - it doesn't look good on me and it's not necessary to be healthy. Yo-yo-ing weight is very unhealthy. Something I'm guilty of. Consistently being 20 pounds overweight is more healthy than what I do.
For my vascular condition I should lose about 20 lb. I am not fat, just on the heavy side (as if that's any better!). These particular 20 lb. have seemed to want to hang around me since my younger years. I am tall, but I know that for my health (not vanity) I really should try to do this but no matter waht I do I cannot seem to shake the little habits that keep those same 20 lb. on!! They say that the less you ahve to lose the harder it is, and I believe that,. Would appreciate suggestions from those over 60

Old 03-11-2010, 09:00 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,609,307 times
Default newenglandgirl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
. Would appreciate suggestions from those over 60
My suggestion is this: You gotta wanna You have to give up something in order to get something. It's really very simple ~ to get the feminine figure you desire and improve your health simply give up the junk food.

Check out my blog for my lifestyle eating, maintaining a size 10

Old 03-11-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
My suggestion is this: You gotta wanna You have to give up something in order to get something. It's really very simple ~ to get the feminine figure you desire and improve your health simply give up the junk food.

Check out my blog for my lifestyle eating, maintaining a size 10
You may not believe this but I have never had junk food since age 25 and brought up my kids on really wholesome food. Low sodium, low or no refined sugars, whole grain everything, vegs, fruits, fish, no meat, etc. I know what it is. It is 3 cups of coffee per day with cream. Don't yell at me. I know the cream is the culprit (along with some cheese) but FCOL we have to have some pleasures in life. The exercise too. I was wondering if there are eating tips (more meals, less meals, of course less food) that might help without having to ramp up the exercise

Old 03-12-2010, 09:07 PM

433 posts, read 992,314 times
newenglandgirl, "the less you have to lose, the harder it is" is true! One thing that helped me was figuring out just how many calories I consumed and burned on a typical day. There are other web sites that will help with this; I used Fit Day. FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal You might want to try keeping track for a month or two, just to get an idea of portion sizes and so on.

Another thing I do is use small plates, bowls, and glasses. I never use a full-size dinner plate; I use a salad plate because it looks as if I have more food.

Every bit of exercise you get helps; take the stairs instead of using the elevator, run errands on foot, and so on.

Good luck! I gained several pounds over the holidays as I do every year (grrrrr) and I'm working on getting rid of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or