U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-18-2010, 02:08 PM

10,051 posts, read 13,843,270 times
I thnk most people who are significantly overweight have a disordered relationship with food. As a slender friend of mine said, "It shouldn't be hard to follow a diet." RIGHT-O It shouldn't be, but it is, for some of us.
I was never overweight when younger (and I lived in the city- rode a bike everywhere until a bad accident, walked, etc. No computers to plop in front of, and I didn't have a TV). I still, however, did often eat for entertainment reasons. It slowly caught up with me, and then, when I went to working nights full-time, bang. Food cravings, eating from boredom/tired/entertainment/reward, you name it.
I now eat very healthy stuff and occasionally some not-so, and will not lose the flub I gained until I get more strict about the "not-so" and, I think, stop working nights. It just shouldn't be so hard to eat like a normal person, but then, as one poster mentioned, some of us do not have a normal relationship to food.
I'm working on it. But a couple of times, when sick/upset/or on a medication, I didn't have to struggle with food and overeating and stuff. It felt like a real chemical difference. For that matter, on days off, when I've slept at night (some 15 hours of deep sleep), I have a normal relationship to food.
At least Dunkin' Donuts chocolate cream sugar things with the little chocolate floret no longer work as an anti-depressant so maybe there's hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 03:18 PM

12,013 posts, read 8,035,690 times
Is there something to be said for body frame? Are larger-framed people prone to keeping on the flesh? I notice that women my age who are very small frame/small boned are generally pretty thin. Today was in the 60s, beautiful here, and many joggers running past me as I walked. Most were large frame people hoping to lose weight or at least firm up. I think it may be much harder for them. A good time of year to do salads instead of cooked veg.s I am going to try bean sprouts again as they are supposed to have a lot of protein. I don't know what to do about the cream in coffee and ww muffins. (please don't suggest that awful soy cream!)

Old 03-21-2010, 09:20 AM

4,099 posts, read 7,536,156 times
When we retired we got a golden retriever puppy. We spent a good amount of time training her and make an effort to walk her two miles each day. Even in the cold, cold weather, as long as the wind isn't bad, we walk. The exercise is good for both of us.

We try to eat healthy, but after watching friends pass away, who were a lot healthier, thinner and more athletic than me, I decided I didn't want to be on my death bed and think, " I WISH I HAD that hot fudge sundae."

Everyday is a gift and we intend to live it to the fullest!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:34 PM

3,517 posts, read 8,560,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is there something to be said for body frame? Are larger-framed people prone to keeping on the flesh? I notice that women my age who are very small frame/small boned are generally pretty thin. Today was in the 60s, beautiful here, and many joggers running past me as I walked. Most were large frame people hoping to lose weight or at least firm up. I think it may be much harder for them. A good time of year to do salads instead of cooked veg.s I am going to try bean sprouts again as they are supposed to have a lot of protein. I don't know what to do about the cream in coffee and ww muffins. (please don't suggest that awful soy cream!)
There is no connection to body frame size and obesity. The obesity epidemic is only 30 years old. Prior to that overweight people were only 10-15% of the population. That fact alone points to the changes in the average life as being the cause. Body frames have not suddenly increased in 30 years.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:33 PM

1,208 posts, read 2,381,766 times
Default changes in thinking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
There is no connection to body frame size and obesity. The obesity epidemic is only 30 years old. Prior to that overweight people were only 10-15% of the population. That fact alone points to the changes in the average life as being the cause. Body frames have not suddenly increased in 30 years.
I agree with you, Tesaje and IMHO there appears to be a shift in "thinking" that it is healthy to be obese (against medical advice)~~ for example that woman who is purposely eating her way to qualify for the distinction of being the heaviest woman in the world

Old 03-21-2010, 08:01 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,249,240 times
I am tall but do have a small frame and have stayed within 20 lbs. of my ideal weight my whole life. The thing that helps me is that, for some reason, I can't eat large portions. If I go out to dinner and get an appetizer, I'm not hungry for the entree. Big huge plates of food turn me off. It might be because I had duodenal problems as a child (similar to ulcer). When you have an ulcer, it's recommended you eat smaller portions, more frequently. Whatever the reason, it has kept me slim for 60 years. If I do start gaining (I have a weakness for desserts), I just cut back on the calories and increase the exercise. Anyway, I guess I just wanted to "weigh in" on the obesity issue. Portion size and fried, fatty foods are really out-of-control in this country, IMO.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:52 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,249,240 times
Oh, and I forgot to say: At 60, my weight now (which is slim) is what I thought was my "fat" weight 30 years ago! I was way skinny then. Now, if I drop a few pounds, my face looks gaunt, which we can't afford as we get older, huh.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:48 AM

2,030 posts, read 1,916,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Oh, and I forgot to say: At 60, my weight now (which is slim) is what I thought was my "fat" weight 30 years ago! I was way skinny then. Now, if I drop a few pounds, my face looks gaunt, which we can't afford as we get older, huh.
At 58 my ideal weight has changed as well. If I got thin my face would look skeletal and the wrinkles would show.

Good thing I have so much trouble getting thin. I have a weakness for fatty food, sweets and a nice old beer or 2. I do exercise and will get outside for bike rides and hiking when it warms up. More enjoyable than my exercise bike and free weights.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM

7 posts, read 5,362 times
Hi every one !
i am new over here

Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 PM

12,013 posts, read 8,035,690 times
Welcome to staying "young" and healthy in retirement, all good suggestions and questions, comments appreciated

I have heard that lemon water is really good to drink, as well as olde New England tradition of apple cider vinegar in warm water, sometimes with honey. Other spring tonics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement