Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times

Advertisements

"What kind of houses will be in demand among those 55 and older? According to a consumer survey conducted by the National Association of Home Builders, the most important design features that 55+ buyers want in their homes center on the practical."

And have the locations changed, too?

It's a two page article:

A quick peek at the retirement houses of tomorrow - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
The Nursing Homes of tomorrow will be cardboard boxes, Medicare is broke and Health Care died

Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
The not-priority list was interesting. Tells me that these folks still have their heads in the sand about what ageing is...and that because they have not thought ahead they will end up having to move out of their retirement homes to places where they can cope. Major denial.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,070 times
I expect to have to move again, if I live long enough. Sooner or later many of us will need some sort of assisted living or even more intensive care. Many of us also expect to live for many years in retirement before those accommodations are necessary.

I thought the preferences were reasonable. I am also not surprised about the decline of golf. There are already way too many retirement choices centered around golf. It seems to me that golf is a hobby of the previous generation and has been declining in popularity.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Fro what I see many of these things ahve been popualr for sometime in homes for those retiring. No surprises here really. How many years for example have we seen retireemnt communties with home built for the purpose and those special entery bath showers and tubs advertised on TV.We how see tranist fro these areas to shoppig areas being construted all over the country in the popular retirement areas of the country.One of the trends I see is small towns that formerly dies as people moved to be near the city to work ;now being revived because retirees do not ned to be near the city anymore.many arte booming but keeping their small down identity.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:44 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The not-priority list was interesting. Tells me that these folks still have their heads in the sand about what ageing is...and that because they have not thought ahead they will end up having to move out of their retirement homes to places where they can cope. Major denial.
I think you may have misread the list. Here are the non-priority items for older buyers:

A lot of the more popular features in new homes these days don't appeal all that much to older buyers:
  • Island work areas
  • Separate showers
  • Private toilet compartments
  • Sun rooms
  • Woodburning fireplaces
  • Exercise rooms
If you didn't misread it, I'd be interested to learn why you think they're in denial.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:50 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"What kind of houses will be in demand among those 55 and older? According to a consumer survey conducted by the National Association of Home Builders, the most important design features that 55+ buyers want in their homes center on the practical."

And have the locations changed, too?

It's a two page article:

A quick peek at the retirement houses of tomorrow - MarketWatch
I have a younger neighbor. He will have a slab in several states with electric and water/sewer hookups on lots he owns and will live in a RV and travel with multiple base slabs. Sounds sorta realistic.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:29 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Realistic for younger/healthier retirement. Sure wouldn't want to mess with an RV and no stable home with health problems or frail or whatever.
When I had my little house built (1250 sq.ft.) I had to have two stories due to town limits on the footprint- couldn't build a one-story of 1250sq.ft. I made sure nothing critical is on the second floor- it's a loft for the computer, guest area and guest bath. If I had to, I'd move the computer downstairs. I have a first-floor bedroom and full bath.
After all, anyone can twist an ankle. You don't have to be having terrible health problems to not want to go up a flight of steps every time you sleep/need a bathroom/want to get up for the day.
I knew a young woman who had a c-section. They had a lovely new house, three bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths. And she couldn't bathe on the first floor in the 1/2. A simple Home Depot tub/shower enclosure could make all the difference for first-floor living when older.
A lot of 55+ housing in my area is very high-end, way too big, and the only nod to aging is that kids aren't allowed.
I wish someone could afford to build new, small, one-story houses. The kind that are built in many 55+ areas (although not mine- land is too expensive). I love some of the designs I've seen. And they could certainly count as "starter homes" for younger people.
Where I live, as a rule those kinds of houses are 50+ years old (post-war) and might need wiring/roof/etc. update, if not everything updated.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Realistic for younger/healthier retirement. Sure wouldn't want to mess with an RV and no stable home with health problems or frail or whatever.
When I had my little house built (1250 sq.ft.) I had to have two stories due to town limits on the footprint- couldn't build a one-story of 1250sq.ft. I made sure nothing critical is on the second floor- it's a loft for the computer, guest area and guest bath. If I had to, I'd move the computer downstairs. I have a first-floor bedroom and full bath.
After all, anyone can twist an ankle. You don't have to be having terrible health problems to not want to go up a flight of steps every time you sleep/need a bathroom/want to get up for the day.
I knew a young woman who had a c-section. They had a lovely new house, three bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths. And she couldn't bathe on the first floor in the 1/2. A simple Home Depot tub/shower enclosure could make all the difference for first-floor living when older.
A lot of 55+ housing in my area is very high-end, way too big, and the only nod to aging is that kids aren't allowed.
I wish someone could afford to build new, small, one-story houses. The kind that are built in many 55+ areas (although not mine- land is too expensive). I love some of the designs I've seen. And they could certainly count as "starter homes" for younger people.
Where I live, as a rule those kinds of houses are 50+ years old (post-war) and might need wiring/roof/etc. update, if not everything updated.
We did the small retirement home in a 55+ until my son had to move in due to his health. I gave up on both, I need 2,200 sq ft. big enough for folks to visit. I happy to get away from 55+, too many cranky old people

Old 01-25-2010, 04:36 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I think you may have misread the list. ....If you didn't misread it, I'd be interested to learn why you think they're in denial.

I did misread it, I took the next section as things not wanted by older buyers, when in fact they were wanted.

It made no sense to me that the older interviewees should not see the advantages of grab bars, etc......that should have been my first clue to re-read.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement