U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,458,974 times

Advertisements

most of my days consist right now of errands/housework/paperwork
cooking & projects .
My schedule is flexible and I can arrange my day most anyway I want to.
I have always wanted a good morning routine that gets me off to a good start
for the day.
I would love to have ideas.
I have to have coffee time(about 20 minutes) where I get my eyes open before anything.
I don't even like to shower until I have had my coffee time.
Anybody have neat morning routines??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,922,685 times
What's the matter with your current routine (coffee, then shower and get your day started)? Personally, I hate mornings....always have. I stay up late (hence, I'm writing this at 1:40 AM), and sleep as late as I can...sometimes 'til noon. I find if I get up early, I end up crashing in the afternoon and having to take a nap. I hate napping. I'd prefer to sleep in, stay up all day and most of the night! May not work for anyone else, but works for me.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:46 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,860,640 times
You could do some or none of these:

--dog-walking
--gym
--yoga
--visit the garden
--write
--check email
--library
--bike ride
--dance to some music

Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 PM

298 posts, read 602,557 times
I too am not a morning person but since retiring I get up about 9 a.m. and go to the local YMCA. There I exercise on land and in the pool for a couple of hours. It's been a great place to meet new friends, do something good for the body (which I'd NEVER do at home) and get my day started. I'm energized for the rest of the day and never nap unless sick. Usually up at night until midnight or later.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 AM

183 posts, read 312,821 times
I get up, take a shower, fire up the laptop, make a small breakfast and some coffee, then settle in and do some reading on the internet (forums, Fox News, whatever). When I feel like it, I get up and get going on projects or errands.

Of course, that is my typical weekend routine and I am not yet retired. 75 days and that will be my M-F routine too.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM

34,682 posts, read 33,681,492 times
Get up, read my e-mail news alerts, reply to e-mails, check the 10 day weather forecast on weather.com, read the Drudge Report, check out and post to City Data, take a shower.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:40 AM

12,689 posts, read 14,071,402 times
Three days a week I get up at 6 a.m.: On these days I have a slice of toast, meds and a cup of coffee; meditate for half and hour; do a set of streching exercises (how many varies with how warm the house is) followed by a couple of minutes of falun gong; then I go to the gym and use the treadmill for forty minutes.

On the days I do not go to the gym, I sleep as late as I like, and then I get up and do the same as above, except no gym.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:27 AM

433 posts, read 991,748 times
The night before, I put water and Quaker Oats in a covered bowl in the refrigerator.

In the morning I get up, dress in workout clothes, put the oatmeal in the microwave, and make coffee. I eat the oatmeal and drink the coffee while catching up on email, Facebook, and the New York Times online.

After I'm fully awake I do exercises while listening to NPR Morning Edition: leg exercises with ankle weights one day and upper body exercises with free weights the next. Later, depending on the weather I'll either take a brisk walk or work out to an aerobics video.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:10 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,816,010 times
We get up fairly early, 7 at the latest, earlier if the weather is warm, and go for a several mile walk. When we get home, we make breakfast, read the paper and watch the TV programs we recorded the night before.
If we have chores away from home, we map out the day and hit the road to get everything done early.
Beat the crowds to the grocery store, etc.
That leaves plenty of time for housework, working and playing on the computer, yard work, and plenty of time to enjoy our home and yard.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,545,104 times
I get up early, have a cup of coffee, maybe breakfast then meet a friend at 7 a.m. to walk for a half hour or 45 minutes. We were walking in the gym, now we're walking outside, woohoo!!!

I go to exercise classes every morning at the senior center. I never nap unless I have a sinus headache. I go to bed early, according to this group , but after sleeping 8 hrs. I'm raring to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or