U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:15 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times

Advertisements

My mom passed away March 2, 2010.

Social security check came in direct deposit on March 3, 2010.

Is this check for February's benefit? If so, great. If not, we have to return it, right?

I went on the SSA website; there was a question about this but it dealt with someone who died at the end of the month (April) and said the May check would have to be returned b/c she didn't live the whole month.

Well, my mom did live the whole month of February so she should be entitled to the March check, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 03:22 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,814,328 times
They pay a month behind, so you keep the money, but notify them immediately so no more checks will come

Old 03-07-2010, 03:28 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,225,721 times
Bette -

I'm pretty sure that's considered the March check.

But.

You need to call the SS anyway (1-800-772-1213) to notify them of the passing of your Mom, so you should probably ask them and only have to go thru the telephone hell-tree once.

You also need to tell the bank ("If monthly benefits were being paid via direct deposit, notify the bank or other financial institution of the beneficiary's death. Request that any funds received for the month of death and later be returned to Social Security as soon as possible.")

Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,573,689 times
If I can recall clearly, we returned my dad's check.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Why not just call social security? Its not like they are not going to miss it if it needs to be returned.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,541,988 times
A deposit in the beginning of March is not considered the March check. They pay a month behind not ahead, which makes sense. You don't need to return the check but as stated notify them so they don't send the payment for March.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,057,438 times
We just went through this. Mom died 12/27/09. The funeral home sent in notification to SSA right away. Shortly after the January direct deposits were credited to Mom's bank account, both SSA and VA retrieved those funds from the account automatically and later sent me notification they had done this. I would send a certified letter to SSA and they will likely have retrieved their money by the time the letter reaches them.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:21 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile This is correct - I called SSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
A deposit in the beginning of March is not considered the March check. They pay a month behind not ahead, which makes sense. You don't need to return the check but as stated notify them so they don't send the payment for March.
She passed away March 2, 2010 so keeping the March 3rd check was fine. All notified. Was a little surprised she doesn't get the death benefit of $255 but oh, well....wish I could turn the clock back 30 years.

She was a great mom back in the day

Old 03-10-2016, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,402 times
My dad just passed away on Feb 28th. A social security check went into his account & I thought "great, we can pay his last bills." Not. The social security administration just took it back yesterday. I still have his gas bill to pay & not enough money. If it is for the previous month, Feb, & dad died on Feb 28, why did they take it back? I've tried calling the social security twice already. Once was an hour & a half wait on phone so I decided to call back. Next time, a twenty min wait & they hung up on me after 10 minutes. I will try again tomorrow.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:33 PM

796 posts, read 776,271 times
This is my understanding ...

Social Security does not pro rate checks when someone dies. It doesn't matter what day of the month the person dies on, even if it is the last day of the month, there is no payment for that month. A person has to be alive for the ENTIRE month in order to keep a social security check.

On the other hand, when someone is eligible for their first social security check no matter when their birthday is during the month they will get a check for the full month's amount. For example, if they are eligible for social security when they turn 66 and their birthday is say June 25th, they will get a check for the FULL amount even though they didn't turn 66 until the 25th.

As some have already posted, Social Security checks received are for the PREVIOUS month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or