Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 04:52 PM

139 posts, read 530,319 times

Advertisements

I am having trouble finding any seriously creative learning programs geared toward adults, especially Seniors. I can find plenty of "enrichment" programs, and universities with classes Seniors can audit or take for credit, but little that helps the Senior who is serious about creative work and works differently from younger people.
For example, in recent years I have started composing music again, after a many decade hiatus, and I need to improve my techniques. I will move almost anywhere in the country, but where?
With the grim reaper lurking in the wings, growing each day closer, I don't have any time to waste.
Does anyone else have this problem, and have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 06:07 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Checkout the Creative Retirement programs in Asheville NC...you may find something there...

Old 03-23-2010, 10:55 PM

There also seems to be a branch of the Creative Retirement program in Charleston, SC. I think it's more for people who need direction in what to do with their retirement but I will inquire. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 03-24-2010, 06:18 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Yes, the program can be a resource to seeking what you want...they are plugged into other programs and towns offering creative retirement options...

Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
I am having trouble finding any seriously creative learning programs geared toward adults, especially Seniors. I can find plenty of "enrichment" programs, and universities with classes Seniors can audit or take for credit, but little that helps the Senior who is serious about creative work and works differently from younger people.
For example, in recent years I have started composing music again, after a many decade hiatus, and I need to improve my techniques. I will move almost anywhere in the country, but where?
With the grim reaper lurking in the wings, growing each day closer, I don't have any time to waste.
When I was looking to move in retirement, I wanted to find a place where I could attend classes with other retirees but not take foo-foo classes meant just to keep older people busy. I found this list which is now old. Some of the links may be obsolete because these learning programs have new web addresses. My advice is to use the list, just to get the names and then do a web search on them to find the current website locations.

Academy of Senior Professionals at Eckerd College (http://www.eckerd.edu/aspec/ein/ilr_usa.html - broken link)

I picked my place because it was the only one that actually offered more hardcore science-oriented classes. I live in a science town. The primary occupations in town are scientists and engineers (government and government contractors). So, the retirees in town are primarily scientists and engineers. The instructors can be had from both the current science workforce community and the retiree science community. If you live in an artsy town (paintings, sculptures, pottery, etc.) expect more classes geared to painting, drawing, sculpting, ceramics. My advice is to look for a known music town if you want a bigger and better choice of music oriented retiree classes. People teach what they know.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:07 PM

You made a very good point. Place is important, and one type of creative environment may leave a different type of creative person out in the cold.
The list you mentioned looks interesting, and I am starting to work my way through it.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:14 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Default Here is another perspective

Quote:
I am a senior. I live in an area that has a 9,000 acre park district. This pd offers classes taught by qualified others, or you can teach you own class. The document they call the 'playbook' will be released next month. It lists all the classes. This is the most resident/vistor/guest focused entity to which I was ever exposed. It offers performing arts, classes, all sports, family enterainment, etc.. The list is long, in addition to an award winning zoo. The person I talked to said they have a large selection of classes for seniors. Right now they are getting ready for the Senior Olympics. It is not cup of tea at all. You can view the current Playbook on line. I think it is a rarther strange thing, but you can use the Escape button to get out of any page. Peoria Park District

Not far from the park is a university that has an exellent music program. There is also a nearby college, and another college a little farther, that also offer music education. What I am suggesting is that between the ballet, opera, symphony, and creative artists there is someone who can tutor, point or otherwise help you find what you need. For a smaller town it has an amazing array of resources. Before I forget, there is also a musicians union that is over a 100 years old. Local 26 - Peoria Federation of Musicians :: Official Website of the American Federation of Musicians .

It is not a bad place to live. I've had home here for nearly 70 years.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the information on Peoria. I think being in an atmosphere where people are serious about creative work is very important. Also, it has to be the right atmosphere, and one where a person feels able to function. As an example, I knew a very talented young musician as a child who just seemed to later drift around the U.S., never settling. After about a decade he went to South Africa and simply thrived. I feel tremendously inspired in Victoria, BC, although many people consider it a dull backwater. Alas, it's just too expensive for me to live in now.
I was born and raised in Portland, OR, and it was a wonderful place for music and drama as a child. But, I always feel a mental ceiling in Portland, and I had to leave. I am now living in Gilbert, AZ, and, although I know there are things going on here, such as a Bach chorale group, the place paralyzes me.
I had another friend, a pianist, who never could do anything until she found Boston. Other people were dead in the water with their careers until they took them to Europe.
My brother, who spent over 40 years as a professional musician, built up his career in California. When he moved back to Oregon it stopped dead, and he was never able to re-start it.
Place is important. Different types of people gather in different places.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information on Peoria. I think being in an atmosphere where people are serious about creative work is very important. ... When he moved back to Oregon it stopped dead, and he was never able to re-start it.
That is certainly true, and very interesting as I look at (and exist within) the current Portland culture. There are lots of culture offerings, and some very good talent, but for me it has never fit. I'm not sure I would fit back into the particular 'artsy' culture that I left in Colorado 28 yrs ago, but a small group I helped form is recording their 30th anniversary CD.. I am very happy for them, but I have not found a place for my own talents in the PNW . I bet it exists somewhere, but time is running out to find it

Old 03-27-2010, 03:17 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Peoria is a very old town with a very old history and culture. The university was founded before 1900. The summer theater group is the fourth oldest in the nation. The juried Art Fair is the oldest in Illinois, as is the park district. Peoria has the only active performing opera group in Illinois. outside of Chicago That isn't all. Peoria has all types of mustic from Chamber to jazz and from Orchestra to children's music workshops. Music is stressed K-12. We love music whether it is Greek or Polka, or Broadway or Barbershop or coomunity or great choirs, or bands or guitar. You find it inside our acustical buildings, amphitheater, and in the park, too.

I love music, I salute anyone who can create it. Peoria is a town of people helping people. It is upscale and downtown. It is highrise condo, elegant apartments, and single family homes in modest neighborhoods, It is small and big business. It is green. It is a mix of rolling hills and forested areas, green lawn and naturen. It is a community of colors and many talents and privated clubs and regional foods. Chances are if you come to visit and spend more than a day you'll find what you seek. And it is affordable. Our grocery tax is currently 1%. Our housing is mixed. You can find a nice apartment in a good neighborhood for less than $500, but if you don't have a set budget, the sky is the limit. I think it meets seniors needs quite well.

Quote:
Thanks for the information on Peoria. I think being in an atmosphere where people are serious about creative work is very important. Also, it has to be the right atmosphere, and one where a person feels able to function. As an example, I knew a very talented young musician as a child who just seemed to later drift around the U.S., never settling. After about a decade he went to South Africa and simply thrived. I feel tremendously inspired in Victoria, BC, although many people consider it a dull backwater. Alas, it's just too expensive for me to live in now.
I was born and raised in Portland, OR, and it was a wonderful place for music and drama as a child. But, I always feel a mental ceiling in Portland, and I had to leave. I am now living in Gilbert, AZ, and, although I know there are things going on here, such as a Bach chorale group, the place paralyzes me.
I had another friend, a pianist, who never could do anything until she found Boston. Other people were dead in the water with their careers until they took them to Europe.
My brother, who spent over 40 years as a professional musician, built up his career in California. When he moved back to Oregon it stopped dead, and he was never able to re-start it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement