Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
... Its funny how the desire to not work anymore will eliminate your materialistic tendancies. ...
You are so right, it becomes a different challenge now to AVOID having to work. I find myself saying "I guess I don't need that..."

Quote:
$35 cars? Sounds like a challenge.
No problem in my region, "abandoned vehicle auctions" (towing companies) sell over 500 / week. Many run fine, they were just parked in the wrong spot and PO can't afford to bail them out. I'll admit, they are not often 'cherry', but they usually come with some type of 'hidden treasure'. Caddies are frequent items due to local demographics. RV's usually don't even make minimum bid because they often are FULL of junk, and local dump rates are $100/ ton. Old School buses are a big hit with the homeless, especially if they have current license plates. (Oregon plates are good for 2 yrs, those bring a MUCH higher price, often over $100 )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:40 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
I have to agree with those of you who said that life has to be balanced.....balanced between enjoying the moment, and at the same time, saving for retirement.

But that's only a tangent of what i was initially trying to get at. My point was that most people don't need 70 or 80% of their before-retirement money to live comfortably......of course, having more won't hurt....but i've found that i can live 'comfortably' on 20-30% if my house is paid off and if i stick with the same life style. that's all i'm saying.

we don't have to KILL OURSELVES trying to get to that 70-80% mark if we could enjoy the "moment now" much more. what's the use of saving that extra money and find out in retirement that you didn't enjoy your younger, more energetic days and now, in your later years, when you have pain and more limitations, you have twice as much money as you would have had?

Cheers!
Actually wonder how high you lived when you were working? I planned for years that I needed more money in retirement than during my working life because I'd have more free hours to spend and things I never got around to having time for when I was working.

I figued I'd need about 120% of my spendable preretirement income in retirement~ turns out to be about right~ and I am really enjoying my retirement, although I'm still not spending as much as a lot of people I know~ and I do have a little set aside for emergencies!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Some things that you might want to do need to be done before you get older. For instance, my favorite (only) interest in travel is the Mountain West- I love driving, and finding a place to horseback ride for a week. I am aware that this might not be as feasible the older I get.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I retired young and I never paid much attention to all those folks shoveling doom and gloom. I think it's a plot designed to keep us in the workforce!

Seriously, all those 'experts' make a huge mistake ASSUMING we all want to retire and keep the exact same life we had when we were working. If we didn't want a change of pace, why retire?

I'm happy living on less. My expenses are a lot less too. I have a part time, fun job that's easy. My only hard and fast rule is to have a good time and do all the things I never had time for.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:52 AM

183 posts, read 352,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I retired young and I never paid much attention to all those folks shoveling doom and gloom. I think it's a plot designed to keep us in the workforce!
There are a lot of people that have an interest in keeping us working and spending money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Some things that you might want to do need to be done before you get older. For instance, my favorite (only) interest in travel is the Mountain West- I love driving, and finding a place to horseback ride for a week. I am aware that this might not be as feasible the older I get.
One of the best reasons to retire early. Who cares if you have a gazillion dollars if you're to old to enjoy it the way you would like. Certain things take a lot more energy than you realize and things that don't seem that hard to do when you're 30 become much harder as you age no matter what kind of shape you are in.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:47 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Discussions like this often become apples and oranges comparisons. Financial goals are more easily recognized by some. If a given area has an average income of 55K and 100K affords one a lifestyle well above average. The couple with a working income of 200K see their retirement income fall by 50 to 100K are obviously better off than the couple with a working income of 60K who retire on 80% or 48K.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:38 PM

92 posts, read 216,097 times
before there was social security, medicare, and 401k's people worked and retired. The need for a huge amount of retirement money is a myth fostered by idiots for the sake of the greedy. my folks retired at 55 a long time ago are on social security and medicare with a tiny pension and live rather well, but not extravagantly. I intend to do the same..best of luck..

Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
It's hard to let go of a good job even if you have plenty of money (or at least you think you do). Uncertainty can certainly hold you back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement