Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:21 PM

106,529 posts, read 108,647,625 times

Advertisements

contrary to the myth unless that 12 gauge has an extremely short barrel , in the confines of ones home leverage isnt your friend...

its very easy to disarm anyone with a long arm in close proximity once the barrell is grabbed. the spread on a shotgun at close range is also very slight . it needs space to spread out so you dont have to aim.... its also to penetrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,668,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I agree but since there is a touch of bravado here let the OP find out what it's like to look someone in the eye then kill them. Most people don't have the sand and will die in that split second they hesitate.

If the OP is really serious then they should carry a 12 ga shotgun ,with the shortest legal barrel, to "impress" the neighbors to stay clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
contrary to the myth unless that 12 gauge has an extremely short barrel , in the confines of ones home leverage isnt your friend...

its very easy to disarm anyone with a long arm in close proximity once the barrell is grabbed. the spread on a shotgun at close range is also very slight . it needs space to spread out so you dont have to aim.... its also to penetrating.
The reason I suggested a 12 ga was to point out how ridiculous the idea of carrying a gun was in the first place is for 99.99% of the people. What folk's don't know is that to prove self defense outside of your home is very tough to do.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:00 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,673,896 times
Thanks, I will look at revolvers and the Kel-Tec. I am alone in sketchy neighborhoods at times and it is my legal right to carry with a permit. A water pistol will not protect me from a meth freak trying to hijack my car or mug me. A shotgun is pretty impractical. I have not been an advocate of carrying in the past and so I do tolerate smart-A remarks. S-T happens, however and I think the good guys should be the survivors when it does. I like to believe I am in that group.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,796,278 times
Squirl:

I have been involved in police firearms training for many years. A high quality compact revolver would best suit your needs as you've described them. Either a S&W series "J-frame" handgun (there are several five shot revolvers in that frame size offered by that company) or the newer five shot Ruger lightweight revolver.

I urge you to seek out training.

Best of luck,

Rich

Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 PM

795 posts, read 2,297,645 times
Talking carry nuff bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
So, I have obtained my CHL (concealed handgun license). I have very small hands. I am also left-handed with somewhat weak hands due to a touch of arthritis. Any suggestions on the kind of handgun I should get?
Boberg Arms
The Boberg XR9 series of pistols are the only guns on the planet that give you the power of a full-sized 9mm/9mm+P pistol in a pocket-sized form. The XR9's revolutionary patent-pending design puts a full-sized barrel in an easily concealable gun, generating ~25% more muzzle energy than any other same-caliber pocket pistol in the world!

Boberg XR9-S/ Shorty Recoil / Controllability During Rapid-Fire.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:55 PM

795 posts, read 2,297,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
So, I have obtained my CHL (concealed handgun license). I have very small hands. I am also left-handed with somewhat weak hands due to a touch of arthritis. Any suggestions on the kind of handgun I should get?

YouTube - Boberg XR-9 9mm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFcnm...eature=related

Old 03-26-2010, 06:03 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,124,890 times
Try a stun gun. In most states they too require the same permit as a handgun.

If not then a small handgun such as a .380 may work if you use a concealed shoulder holster.

The best way is to go to a gun show and try them on for size. Handle the guns and see what works best for you.

Good luck and have fun at the range.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:41 AM

106,529 posts, read 108,647,625 times
a semi auto is really not for un-untrained retiree.. to many issues to remember.. between the safety, the jamming factor , the one left in the chamber when you drop the magazine are all to complex...

another factor with the s&w hammerless 640 series is you can have it in your pocket ready to go and even shoot without ever pulling it out if you have to... thats a big plus..

Old 04-02-2010, 06:57 AM

240 posts, read 537,164 times
Check out the S&W Bodyguard series, using .38 Special +P loads. The revolver is small, light weight and designed for concealed carry. It can be carried in your pants pocket without being noticed.

Remember, practice using whatever handgun you decide on. Spend plenty of range time with your purchase, familiarizing yourself with the weapon and the ammo you'll be carrying. Practice firing mainly at the 15 and 7 yard line, as most self defense incidents occur at or close to this distance.

As others here said, a semi-auto pistol is not a beginner's handgun, and does require hand strength to pull the slide back. A revolver sounds like your best option.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,673,896 times
Thanks all. I am definitely going to get more training and will focus on revolvers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement