Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,074 times

Advertisements

New York
Best place to retire: Hudson Heights
---------------------------------------

lydia30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 AM

15 posts, read 38,765 times
Steel Man

My husband and I are looking for a small farm preferably about 45 acres. We are retirees and want to build a house on it and have a few cattle and alpacas. Do you know a good land agent and how much would this much land cost in San Antoine?

FarmerJo

Old 10-11-2008, 08:00 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,001 times
[QUOTE=Warren R. Bland, PhD, is a professor of geography at Cal State Univ-Northridge. He traveled extensively doing geographical research across North America. He uses 12 criteria (similar to "Cities Ranked and Rated") and awards up to 5 points for each criteria.

What are the 12 criteria he used to make his choices?

Old 10-11-2008, 07:58 PM

9,529 posts, read 16,510,276 times
[quote=katie45;5645277][quote=Warren R. Bland, PhD, is a professor of geography at Cal State Univ-Northridge. He traveled extensively doing geographical research across North America. He uses 12 criteria (similar to "Cities Ranked and Rated") and awards up to 5 points for each criteria.

What are the 12 criteria he used to make his choices?[/QUOTE]
I can't say I remember completely what exactly the criteria was on the locales selected. Some of the criteria was of course, Weather, cost of living, crime statistics. I do remember in the section on Tucson there was added information that stated how high crime was in that particular city. All I know is Mr Bland did try to write a book that gave out what he felt were practical choices for retirement locales. Some of his choices and information given was very good. I can't say I agree with him on all his locations, but again some were practical good choices. I know he ended up settling here in Portland after he visited all of the locales. I felt as I do with the majority of retirement publications that his book cated more to the retiree that had made some money in life.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:59 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,001 times
[quote=Jimrob1;5652665]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I can't say I remember completely what exactly the criteria was on the locales selected. Some of the criteria was of course, Weather, cost of living, crime statistics. I do remember in the section on Tucson there was added information that stated how high crime was in that particular city. All I know is Mr Bland did try to write a book that gave out what he felt were practical choices for retirement locales. Some of his choices and information given was very good. I can't say I agree with him on all his locations, but again some were practical good choices. I know he ended up settling here in Portland after he visited all of the locales. I felt as I do with the majority of retirement publications that his book cated more to the retiree that had made some money in life.
And as we know, it's relative to our own preferences and our financial status....and of course the type of weather we enjoy or don't enjoy. And it was 'his' book, and obviously what he preferred. He wasn't dictating to people 'where' to live, just what, in his opinion, were good places to live.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:18 PM

37 posts, read 169,111 times
1 Pawleys Island SC
2 Boulder CO
3 Townsend TN
4 Isle of Palms SC
5 Durango CO
6 Green Valley AZ
7 Bella Vista AR
8 Murrels Inlet SC
9 Key West FL $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
10 Lake Geveva WI

Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 PM

37 posts, read 169,111 times
11 Portland ME
12 Rutland VT

Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
chiboy, post your criteria, as I think you've taxed me out of retirement and COL in some of these places indicates a social status that I seem to have missed. Darn, all tho years 'work'n and still not RICH

Old 02-12-2009, 03:22 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,723,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy7 View Post
1 Pawleys Island SC
2 Boulder CO
3 Townsend TN
4 Isle of Palms SC
5 Durango CO
6 Green Valley AZ
7 Bella Vista AR
8 Murrels Inlet SC
9 Key West FL $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
10 Lake Geveva WI

Why do people want to retire out in the middle of nowhere??

No no no. I do not want to spend my post-working post-child raising years on a deck swing looking at the view.

I want to do things we could never do before, live in the fast lane where we did not want to raise children, I want to go here and go there--theatres and concerts and festivals and clubs and fun--places we never had the time or money for.

Places that have good public transit where you can stay out all night drinking and dancing and you don't need a car to get home. I don't want to retire to Porchville.

Where do high-stepping retirees go?

Old 02-12-2009, 03:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Where do high-stepping retirees go?

Anywhere they want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement