U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:13 PM

857 posts, read 4,471,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkeel1 View Post

We're in Huntsville, AL now and love it. Not retired yet - just hit AARP age - but in my line of work I've gotten to know several folks who decided this was the place to be in retirement. Most banked profits from other markets and bought smaller brick ranchers close to everything but have no mortgage. Worth a look; it's a vital community with heavy aerospace activity (NASA, Army).
I've heard good things about Huntsville but I ahven't had the chance to see it for myself. What is it that you like about it? I just hit AARP age myself, but I am trying to plan my escape to an area where I can still work a little and then live happily ever after in retirement. So far, I am considering Greenville, SC, but I am still doing my due diligence and would like to know what sold you on Huntsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 PM

706 posts, read 1,168,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
In addition to what Rod Farlee mentioned, those 3 cities in CO are very low humidity, one of the reasons we left the DC area and came here. We do not get blazing heat like the desert southwest (AZ, NV, NM, and parts of CA). It was 115 in Phoenix last week, etc.

There is a good deal of info on CO weather buried in the 100 postings that make up the main thread on Colorado Springs:
Why Choose Colorado Springs?

We get a small amount of rain along the Front Range (Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Castle Rock, Denver (et all), Fort Collins, and Boulder.

Here in Colorado Springs, we get some snow, but it melts out in a day or so, especially where the sun hits it. We get significant sunshine all year. The temps can get quite low during a cold snap, but most folks here need only lightweight winter jackets, until the sun goes down. It is indeed typical to see people jogging in shorts in January, etc. We have good breezes and once in a while a really gusty day. Many homes do not have air conditioning and it is livable here without A/C.

Colorado is a surprising state. The image most people have of our state is of the "high country" ski area's, up in the Rockies, where it DOES snow in tremendous quantities. But the Front Range is along the great plains and we have very mild weather as opposed to the mountainous area, which are lovely and only a two hour drive away anytime you want that.

s/Mike
Hi Mike, I remember a long time ago reading a story about the 3 best climates in America to live in if you enjoy 4 seasons. Colorado Springs and Flagstaff Az were 2 of them, can't remember the third!! Oldtimers kicking in!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:30 PM

706 posts, read 1,168,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy7 View Post
1 Pawleys Island SC
2 Boulder CO
3 Townsend TN
4 Isle of Palms SC
5 Durango CO
6 Green Valley AZ
7 Bella Vista AR
8 Murrels Inlet SC
9 Key West FL $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
10 Lake Geveva WI
Some surprises, Key West is definitely bring a lot of money. I know Lake Geneva well, a splendid town about 1 1/2 hour north of Chicago. Durango is beautiful but a long way from anywhere. Boulder is really nice. A lot of good choices. I don't know the Carolinas at all.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:17 AM

20,899 posts, read 39,168,910 times
Hello folks, been a while since I checked in on this old thread of mine.

I have to tell ya, Boulder, CO, at number 2 on ChiBoy7's list, is about the most pricey place along the entire Front Range of Colorado (aka the I-25 corridor). The city is nice in many ways, but is considered the most liberal town in CO and has very strong zoning laws that have kept home prices extremely high. There are town near Boulder that are excellent but w/out the high prices; see them listed in the subtitle of the Boulder thread we set up some time ago.

Number 7 on ChiBoy7's list is Durango, CO, an old-time railroad town that owes its inception to the silver mines in the area. It has the best tourist railroad in the nation and some of the best scenery to boot. It too is getting very pricey and is where lots of well-heeled retirees are heading. Durango is truly at the far corner of the state, a long ways from Denver or Phoenix, and can get some hellacious snows in the winter.

I suspect that ChiBoy7's list is that of the most expensive or glamourous places, which aren't for the most of us.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Hello folks, been a while since I checked in on this old thread of mine.

I suspect that ChiBoy7's list is that of the most expensive or glamourous places, which aren't for the most of us.
I would say there is a significant interpretation of "Best place to retire"

Monte Carlo, or some place nearby with great views, food, and reasonable COL; MINUS the huge crowds.

I would rather 'visit' Monte Carlo on rare occasion and when it is beneficial to me and 'live' where I can 'Abode' comfortably, as per my chosen lifestyle.

That would not be Durango or Boulder either, BUT I can find nice places for 60% less cost and 90% more conducive to me within an hour of each.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM

20,899 posts, read 39,168,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post

Monte Carlo, or some place nearby with great views, food, and reasonable COL; MINUS the huge crowds.

I would rather 'visit' Monte Carlo on rare occasion and when it is beneficial to me and 'live' where I can 'Abode' comfortably, as per my chosen lifestyle.

That would not be Durango or Boulder either, BUT I can find nice places for 60% less cost and 90% more conducive to me within an hour of each.
You said a mouthful there JanB. I visited some retirement "mecca" towns out in the middle of nowhere. There is some pretty scenery but not a lot to do. Doing the pool, card room and shuffleboard every day seems a bit boring. I don't golf, so moving to a golf resort out in the hinterlands is not a draw for me. Even if I did golf, if that's all there is in one of those faraway places, playing the same course several days a week would get old fast.

I like being in COLO SPGS, where there is so much to do right here. Further, Denver metro area is only 45 minutes north, downtown Denver and/or DIA are 60-75 minutes away. It's cool in that I can go 45 minutes north and be in Nordstrom's in Park Meadows or I can go 45 minutes west and be in Woodland Park, two totally different worlds, each within easy reach. I'm very surprised that we don't have genuine retirement communities here.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,486,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Interesting that you mention Monte Carlo. Marseilles, which is also on the Cote d'Azur, is one of my favorite cities and one I've said that if I had to retire outside the US, would be my #1 pic. To me, Marseilles is like Monte Carlo (in terms of scenery and weather) but with a bigger footprint and more "things to do."

Old 06-05-2009, 10:41 AM

My current top places to retire (strictly US) are:

1. Denver, CO (Boulder & Aurora included via metro)
2. Mt. Juliet, TN (Hendersonville & Franklin included via metro)
3. Alameda, CA ($$$$$$ = probably unrealistic)
4. Suwanee, GA
5. Chula Vista, CA (beautiful, but uneasy about crime)
6. St. Petersburg, FL
7. Louisville, KY
8. Fort Mill, SC
9. Peachtree City, GA
10. Kyle, TX

Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 AM

11. Ft. Lauderdale, FL
12. Chicago's North Side if global warming ups the winter temps

Old 06-10-2009, 04:47 AM

4,074 posts, read 6,416,683 times
There is a major flaw in all these "best place to retire" things. Most will take into account taxes and medical care resources, most eliminate snowy areas, and have lots of good eateries. However, all these studies do not account for the variations in retirement income. If you retire with a lot of resources you can just about retire anywhere. Most retirement communities sell their homes with a base price of $250k. There are mobile home communities that sell for $120k. The problem is that a recommendation for, let's say, Asheville NC may be great if you are able to purchase into a gated 55+ community. On the other hand, if you have limited retirement income you may assume because Asheville was recommended the surrounding area is also recommended. So you make the move, buying a house just outside Asheville that you can afford, only to find yourself in hillbilly heaven where all your neighbors are flying the confederate battle flag. These recommended retirement locations need to be income qualified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement