U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:00 PM

20,896 posts, read 39,162,901 times

Advertisements

There is yet another "study" out on "best places." Seems we have as many of these studies as there are music award shows. Some studies need to be taken with a grain of salt. The latest one to come out is a book called "Retire in Style: 60 Outstanding Places Across the U.S.A. and Canada" by Warren Bland, who is one of many cashing in on the impending wave of retirees as the baby boom generation hangs it up. I'm a member, class of 1948.

Warren R. Bland, PhD, is a professor of geography at Cal State Univ-Northridge. He traveled extensively doing geographical research across North America. He uses 12 criteria (similar to "Cities Ranked and Rated") and awards up to 5 points for each criteria. Here are his top ratings and point scores for what he considers the best cities in the USA & Canada:

1 Victoria (52)
2 Boulder, Colo. (51)
3 London (51)
4 Portland, Ore. (51)
5 San Antonio, Tex. (50)
6 Asheville, N.C. (49)
7 Austin, Tex. (49)
8 Boca Raton, Fla. (49)
9 Chapel Hill, N.C. (48)
10 Colorado Springs, Colo. (48)
11 Fort Collins, Colo. (48)
12 Halifax (48)
13 Madison, Wis. (48)
14 Pittsburgh (48)
15 Stratford (48)
16 Gainesville, Fla. (47)
17 Hendersonville, N.C. (47)
18 Kingston (47)
19 Medford-Ashland, Ore. (47)
20 Oxford, Miss. (47)
21 Sarasota, Fla. (47)

I'm glad he focuses on real cities and not retirement mecca's like Lake Havasu City, Sun City or Tampa-St Pete (aka God's Waiting Room). Many of us are not ready for that kind of retirement living, we still want big-city pizazz and are willing to move to get it now that the main career is safely behind us. We cashed out of the DC area and came to Colorado a year ago, and are so glad we did.

After doing our own research and travel, my wife and I ended up retiring in Colorado Springs, number 10 on the list. The long version of how we choose to live here is at: Why Choose Colorado Springs?

Book reviews can be found on all the usual sites.

s/Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 07:30 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,247,596 times
Thanks for the information Mike from back East. Yes I think this is a better list then many I have seen. It's interesting that he includes Canada too.

I have to agree that I'm not ready for God's waiting room either. Some of us Baby Boomers are still somewhat active.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:36 PM

35 posts, read 207,499 times
I would be curious to know which one of these cities would have the mildest summers and winters. Weather is a very important factor to me. I don't mind rain but not in significant amounts and I sure don't like snow. A lot of humidity is not agreeable either. Which ones fit the best criteria for that kind of weather?

Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 PM

295 posts, read 529,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety
I would be curious to know which one of these cities would have the mildest summers and winters. Weather is a very important factor to me. I don't mind rain but not in significant amounts and I sure don't like snow. A lot of humidity is not agreeable either. Which ones fit the best criteria for that kind of weather?
19 Medford-Ashland, Ore.
1 Victoria [BC]
4 Portland, Ore.

and you might also like:
Bend/Redmond/Sisters OR
Sequim/Port Townsend/Oak Harbor WA
Santa Fe/Taos NM
Prescott AZ
Chelan WA

Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety
I am curious to know which of these cities has the mildest summers and winters. Weather is a very important factor to me. I don't mind rain but not in significant amounts and I sure don't like snow. A lot of humidity is not agreeable either. Which ones fit the best criteria for that kind of weather?
In addition to what Rod Farlee mentioned, those 3 cities in CO are very low humidity, one of the reasons we left the DC area and came here. We do not get blazing heat like the desert southwest (AZ, NV, NM, and parts of CA). It was 115 in Phoenix last week, etc.

There is a good deal of info on CO weather buried in the 100 postings that make up the main thread on Colorado Springs:
Why Choose Colorado Springs?

We get a small amount of rain along the Front Range (Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Castle Rock, Denver (et all), Fort Collins, and Boulder.

Here in Colorado Springs, we get some snow, but it melts out in a day or so, especially where the sun hits it. We get significant sunshine all year. The temps can get quite low during a cold snap, but most folks here need only lightweight winter jackets, until the sun goes down. It is indeed typical to see people jogging in shorts in January, etc. We have good breezes and once in a while a really gusty day. Many homes do not have air conditioning and it is livable here without A/C.

Colorado is a surprising state. The image most people have of our state is of the "high country" ski area's, up in the Rockies, where it DOES snow in tremendous quantities. But the Front Range is along the great plains and we have very mild weather as opposed to the mountainous area, which are lovely and only a two hour drive away anytime you want that.

s/Mike

Old 08-04-2006, 10:21 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,392,067 times
Mike (from back east) you really trip me out! They GOTTA hire you at the CS convention center/visitor's bureau!!!

I don't know why people would say Tampa is "god's waiting room"??? I've heard that expression for all of FL, but Tampa? Now mind you I've never been there, but know many who have. It has lots of U students & there are so many "famous" death metal bands from there!

I just looked - 325K people!!! Wow - bigger than I even thought!
And median age 34 (.7) !!! Younger than I even thought too!

(I have no "interest" in Tampa - just found the sentiment odd...)

Old 08-05-2006, 08:26 AM

We visited Tampa-St Petersburg many years ago and I recall tons of old-timers sitting around on park benches, it was amazing to us.

It may have been St Petersburg that I was thinking of, not Tampa, as they are often spoken of as one city (Tampa-St Pete).

Thank you for the correction.

s/Mike

Old 08-14-2006, 01:14 PM

956 posts, read 4,072,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum
Mike (from back east) you really trip me out! They GOTTA hire you at the CS convention center/visitor's bureau!!!

I don't know why people would say Tampa is "god's waiting room"??? I've heard that expression for all of FL, but Tampa? Now mind you I've never been there, but know many who have. It has lots of U students & there are so many "famous" death metal bands from there!

I just looked - 325K people!!! Wow - bigger than I even thought!
And median age 34 (.7) !!! Younger than I even thought too!

(I have no "interest" in Tampa - just found the sentiment odd...)
I think the reason one gets that impression, is that it is usually the RETIREES that you are almost smashing into on the roads...so it feels like they are everywhere.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:27 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,368,366 times
Default Best Place to Retire

Go for #5: San Antonio, TX

Or any place in Texas. It is so big, you have all types of areas to choose from!

Old 03-25-2007, 04:57 PM

942 posts, read 1,066,069 times
Anyone that visits florida would have to be blind not to see how many young people live there, St Petersburg included. I think that gods waiting room is from a era that has come and gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement