U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 09:24 AM

16 posts, read 54,766 times

Advertisements

My parents are 70 and 73 and in average health. They currently live in Texas in a big old house with 5 acres to take care of. They have expressed interest several times in moving "somewhere" into "something" smaller so they will have time and money left to enjoy life a little more. All they do now is work on the place just trying to keep everything up and they complain about it all the time. I live in Atlanta and I go down a couple of times a year to overhall flowerbeds etc. but that doesn't help enough. I desperately want them to have a better quality of life and they seem to want that also until it comes down to the nuts and bolts of getting rid of most of their stuff and selling the house. The job just seems so overwhelming to them they eventually just quit talking about it until the exhaustion and frustration builds up and the downsizing idea comes up again. Also, my dad is a "stuff" person and the idea of parting with ANYTHING is very traumatic for him. I have offered to find them a place close to me or anywhere else for that matter and go home for 4 or 5 months to help them get everything ready but they still are overwhelmed and don't know what to do. One day they want to do it and the next they panic and don't want to.

I am afraid of what will happen as they get older and are "forced" to leave. (two foot surgeries and a pacemaker already this year) I just don't know what to do to help and I don't want to see them be miserable for however many years they have left.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? Are most people who move and downsize happy with the decision or do they miss "home" and regret it? I certainly don't want to push them into something they don't want but most of the time when we talk about it THEY bring it up. HELP!!

Trying to be a good daughter.....

Last edited by bsnyder98; 06-08-2007 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 09:50 AM

5,128 posts, read 10,260,702 times
HI there :-).
I can't really help, except say to them that this is the time to make the move, while they are still doing ok healthwise and have time to look and make their own decisions. If they were forced to leave the big house later on and all the work that goes with it in a hurry, they wouldn't be able to chose the perfect place for them. An aunt of mine sold her single family home and moved into a townhouse with a patio and a garden out back. The yardwork is all included in the condo fee and she is happy as can be. She got rid of lots of "stuff" and doesn't miss it at all.
Best of luck to you all!

Old 06-08-2007, 02:06 PM

434 posts, read 1,589,116 times
Ditto Katz

Old 06-08-2007, 07:11 PM

30 posts, read 99,691 times
Condo is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or