U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:30 PM

68 posts, read 206,146 times

Advertisements

Oregonrain, thanks for your input. My husband and I have been thinking that maybe Alaska isn't very realistic. We've been thinking of moving closer to our children. Our son is a Marine and will be stationed in 29 palms Ca (from Leguene NC) in the fall. Our daughter and her family are stationed there also. We don't want to move to Ca but maybe ND, SD, MT, WY, ID,. Have any suggestions--ever been to the area? Thanks Oh, by the way, we go to White River Jct for the VA. It's about an hour and a quarter drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 10:27 PM

942 posts, read 1,067,584 times
I've been all over, Im like a walking travel log. Idaho is getting popular with retired people, alot leaving Calif for there. Its a fairly dry climate, not warm all year, has some snow, though I don't think alot. It seems fairly nice. I would not consider Oregon if I were you, its rather expensive, and seems to be more geared for affluent california retirees, Bend, Oregon to name one area, that is having lots of problems with affordable housing, alot of anger with the native Oregonians there over that matter. The rest of Oregon east of the cascades mountains is dryer, west of them like here in Portland is wetter than one could ever imagine, very strange weather patterns here. I would try Idaho, but the Boise area, at least u are not isolated from shopping and medical care there, and there is a VA hosptial in Boise. It has a strong economy if you want a part time job there you should be able to find one there. Montana is very cold and windy in the winter, it is beautiful, but a few retirees I have talked to, could not take it, or the isolation and left after a year or so. Wyoming except for Cheyenne and the proximity to Denver about 2 hours south, the rest of that state is so barren and sparsely populated, one would have to want that type of living to make it work. Dakotas just plain cold and not much there, unless that is what you want. I think you should take a look at Boise, its a smaller big city, they do alot to make it a nice place to live, alot of river walks and trails to walk on, and it seems rather clean, they have done some nice improvements on their downtown in the past couple of years. Also the airport has greatly expanded its air service to distant cities as of late, that really is important when you have family elsewhere and need to get there. Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 AM

64 posts, read 233,711 times
Rosaire, you could check out Newport, Washington. Just 30 miles from sandpoint, and right on the border of Idaho. plenty of snow in the winter, a small town of about 2,000. Not much in the way of amenities in town, a Safeway, and some restaurants, and other small town services. There is a VA hospital in Spokane, about 45 miles south. House prices are still pretty reasonable there. Most of the housing in town is older, but there should be something in the $120k-150k range. Plan on a 30-40 mile drive for all the big box stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement