U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:45 PM

68 posts, read 206,265 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been considering retiring to Alaska. Went on the AK forum and received quite a bit of info. However, even though we want a small(2500 or less)town we would like to be near a VA hospital as my husband is a retired veteran. Someone on the AK forum said the VA hospital in Alaska isn't much. Where we now live, in northern NH, we are about an hour or so from the VA. We love snow and cold weather. Also, we are looking for a safe town where crime is really nonexistant and people can leave their doors unlocked. Drugs are starting to become a problem here lately. Does anybody have any suggestions? We don't need to be near o lot of ammenities--a good library or bookstore would be great. A small town where you can feel safe and people help each other out is what we would desire. Thanks for reading this novel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 04:49 PM

It's me again. I forgot to mention that we are looking for a town where housing isn't expensive. Home prices have jumped quite a bit here in our town.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:09 AM

1,848 posts, read 6,254,132 times
I'd suggest looking at the state of Maine. You'd probably need to go upstate or inland to get the inexpensive towns.

You can check here U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to see where Va clinics and hospitals are located.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:06 PM

13,906 posts, read 25,369,716 times
I can't even imagine retiring some place that cold. But, you can get plenty cold in Maine without having to isolate yourself completely. Housing is comparatively reasonable there too.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:19 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,929,453 times
I'd say Maine might work. Check out the forum. One of the posters in particular might be very helpful as I believe he may be a retired serviceman.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:09 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I guess I should have stated that we are looking to move west-not CA but WA, OR, ID, MT, WY. Again, a safe, small town(2500 or less) with cold winters and snow. Thanks

Old 06-09-2007, 04:32 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,929,453 times
I can't help on places in the West, but I do know if you check around some of the state forums you may find something that catches your attention.

Good luck.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:40 PM

13,906 posts, read 25,369,716 times
Lots of small towns close to Idaho Falls. You could still go there for major shopping. One of my favorites is actually south of Idaho Falls, Blackfoot. Home of the Eastern Idaho State Fair. The best fair on the planet!

And you CAN still grow tomatoes there. Lots of asparagus too.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:19 PM

942 posts, read 1,069,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosaire View Post
My husband and I have been considering retiring to Alaska. Went on the AK forum and received quite a bit of info. However, even though we want a small(2500 or less)town we would like to be near a VA hospital as my husband is a retired veteran. Someone on the AK forum said the VA hospital in Alaska isn't much. Where we now live, in northern NH, we are about an hour or so from the VA. We love snow and cold weather. Also, we are looking for a safe town where crime is really nonexistant and people can leave their doors unlocked. Drugs are starting to become a problem here lately. Does anybody have any suggestions? We don't need to be near o lot of ammenities--a good library or bookstore would be great. A small town where you can feel safe and people help each other out is what we would desire. Thanks for reading this novel.
I would say Maine also, but remember you will give up the no sales and income tax haven you have in NH. I am surprised there is not much more in the way of VA medical care in Alaska, with so many military that have spent time there. Im not sure if it is because it is so big and so sparsely populated, or that there is not a large enough veteran population there. I am retired from the VA, and as I look back, I can't even think of a time I heard anything about the VA in Alaska, of course I spent my time in Boston, so had no dealings with Alaska. I am thinking there is a VA clinic there probably attached with the military bases in Anchorage. You can look up on the net locations of VA hospitals and clinics by state. I probably will look it up and then enter in on here in a minute or two.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:02 PM

942 posts, read 1,069,499 times
Ok I looked up the VA offerings in Alaska. It was as I thought. VA care is actually done thru Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, at the base hospital. It is a nice base and had a nice hospital at least in 1980 when I was a patient there for a week with the flu. I was stationed at Elmendorf. Other care offered to veterans is done on what is called fee basis. That means veterans receive care at the local hospitals paid for completely by the VA. So there is care it is just that the veteran will not be going to a VA hospital for it. In Fairbanks there is a VA outpatient clinic, and also fee basis is offered there also. I imagine now you are using the VA hosptial in Manchester, or the White River Vt one, I don't know which one is closer to your home in NH. I would really give alot of consideration before retiring in Alaska though, it has such a far away feeling even in this day and age of quick flights to here and there. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement