Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 09:32 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times

Advertisements

MN2CO - I don't know how recent/updated this page is, but it might give you an idea for pricing?

Vintage Machines

And then there's the e-Bay Guide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 11:11 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
MN2CO - I don't know how recent/updated this page is, but it might give you an idea for pricing?

Vintage Machines

And then there's the e-Bay Guide
Thanks!

Old 06-20-2010, 01:43 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
The first thing I'll probably do right after retirement is pare down my clothes accumulation. I can easily get rid of half and still have plenty to wear.

But I'm not likely to get rid of much otherwise.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:53 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
OK, so I have my grandmother's peddle sewing machine - the kind you have to work a peddle with your foot to make it sew. I also have a Bernina REAL sewing machine.

The antique sewing machine is HEAVY - due to the machine itself mostly and it's all about weight when you move. I want to pull the sewing machine out and throw it out. I've put all the sentimental stuff to rest - use to watch her for hours using that thing - I've had it for 20 years and haven't ever used it - why would I?

So, if I just throw it out, I don't want anyone saying - "You fool, that was an antique and you could have made some money on it had you bothered to sell it". I want the cabinet though.

So, what's the verdict?
Haha....this makes me remember how my mother had an antique pedal sewing machine in a beautiful wood cabinet with drawers, lovely. It was her father's, who was an upholsterer. I stored the cabinet in a friend's cellar one year when moving cross country and took the heavy iron machine part with me. When moving back the friend mysteriosly had "lost" the cabinet and I had to tell my mother who was furious with me over this for the rest of her life. I never lived it down. Finally I realized that the machine without the cabinet wasn't worth much so I let that go. I ahve regretted losing this wonderful piece ever since. The drawers were carved, it was lovely. But...what would I do with it today? I don't sew anymore, and none of my kids would want it....so I would have to give it away otherwise it would be just a @#$%& heavy piece for display in a room that I would have to move!

PS The cabinet without the machine would not be worth too much, but you could put a marble or glass top on it and use it as a nice table. (PS: hevv-vy...)

Last edited by RiverBird; 06-20-2010 at 07:02 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
TV Trays Wood - Amazon

Target also has them.
Oh thank you!!!!!! I've called a dozen stores and no luck. I'll try target and A,azon.

On another note, project today: looking at a large heavy crockpot that could feed an army. i've held onto it "because it will be useful some day." I looked at it a very long time on my kitchen counter. I moved it out, I moved it back. I looked at it again. I haven't used it in 10 yrs. I finally moved it out onto the porch for takeaway. Same with a box of dozens of decrepit (sp?) flashlights ("just in case"). OUT. It's funny how the practical useful stuff for one stage of life becomes a liability later. I will however keep two high quality flashlites one that is a crank type (no battery needed). These decisions are TOUGH

Old 06-20-2010, 08:43 AM

492 posts, read 1,397,534 times
I agree with newenglandgirl, my wife has her Grandmothers old Singer cabinet. She uses it for a make up table, or whatever it's called. A lot of times I catch her just sitting there thinking about the days with her Family. I'm glad we keep hers...

Old 06-20-2010, 09:28 AM

13 posts, read 33,376 times
This has been on the plus side of aging for me. When I had my house under contract for sale, I moved everything I didn't need for day to day living into 3 storage units until the house closing. I found that I loved the simplicity and uncluttered feeling and later sold or gave away most of what was stored. I no longer live in that ridiculous 5 bathroom house either. The main purchase I make these days is food.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
TV Trays Wood - Amazon

Target also has them.
I got the folding wooden tables (4 to a set) from Target today. They are real wood, blond color, $39 for all with the rack. Made in Vietnam, very well made. I cannot wait for my son to come over and take all the heavy maple tables. Then I'm on my way to light living. The only heavy pieces I have left are a mission style wooden bed frame with mattress and a contemp maple dining table. I have to really think about these pieces. What I really want is a platform bed and a lightweight mattress do deal with. The table was pricey so it may be hard to part with that, but I am 99% committed to lightweight furntiure I can move aside with one or both hands easily. I checked out Ikea, there's some nice things there.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:10 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I got the folding wooden tables (4 to a set) from Target today. They are real wood, blond color, $39 for all with the rack. Made in Vietnam, very well made. I cannot wait for my son to come over and take all the heavy maple tables. Then I'm on my way to light living. The only heavy pieces I have left are a mission style wooden bed frame with mattress and a contemp maple dining table. I have to really think about these pieces. What I really want is a platform bed and a lightweight mattress do deal with. The table was pricey so it may be hard to part with that, but I am 99% committed to lightweight furntiure I can move aside with one or both hands easily. I checked out Ikea, there's some nice things there.
A woman on a mission!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:41 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
NEG -

Overstock.com has several platform beds for $250 and less. With free shipping. I'm sure your son could put it together for you

Yes - I am a closet on-line window shopper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement