Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashia View Post
Why such big containers? How are you going to lift them?
For now, they are for garage sale items - stored in the garage & ready to be set up. When I move, they are perfect for blankets/pillows which are bulky but don't weigh much. Movers will do the final lifting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
TRosa, are you moving to the Southwest??

Yes, that's the problem about things. Now my house is perfectly pared down (except for the basement) and everything that I'd carefully chosen for each room looks so nice. There are no knicknacks, personal photos etc in case I decide to sell I want it to be clean of all nonessentials. But even the few things I now have seem to be "too much" in terms of a move. I admire those who just up and move with a backpack and small u-haul on the back of their car!
Latashia,

I'm moving back to Florida, I moved here to NC about a 18 months and will be headed back as soon as possible.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
Cool my story ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Recently, I've been looking at the need for scaling down my possessions, which suddenly seem like just too much to deal with. For example, why have 7 or 8 boxes of Christmas decorations and tree ornaments? Having so much means I need to have room to store it all.

As I've looked at everything I have, most of which is excessive, I'm finding that it won't be so bad to let go of at least 1/2 of these things, and I will still have all that I need.

Somehow I managed to fill every nook and cranny of the incredible amount of storage space I had in my last home. Probably will never have that much storage again. I've been astounded at how much has been accumulated due to this stuff, this clutter.

Now, due to a shortage of storage space, I'm taking a long, hard look at my "stuff". Some is being given away, some is being taken to the thrift stores.

I'm curious...as you people have neared your retirement transition....Have you noticed that what once was so very important is now of no importance to you? What changes have you noticed in yourself that you never thought would change? Did you accumulate things when you were younger and now can't believe that at one time you believed that they were so important?

This strange craving for moving my stuff around and out has led me to read Feng Shui books to help me sort out what is important and not-so-important. It will be interesting to read about other people's retirement epiphanies in this thread. Perhaps yours has nothing to do with clutter and stuff...but something else.
When I retired 10 years ago I got rid of 98% of my "stuff" and moved from the east coast to the west coast. Now ~~ I've accumulated about the same amount as before if not more The thought of moving again (which I will do eventually) is most daunting

Old 07-20-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
When I retired 10 years ago I got rid of 98% of my "stuff" and moved from the east coast to the west coast. Now ~~ I've accumulated about the same amount as before if not more The thought of moving again (which I will do eventually) is most daunting
Exactly why this next move, I'm going to feng shui it to the max. My next place will be so sparce people might want to bring their own chairs.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
My next place will be so sparce people might want to bring their own chairs.
My theory is that when we move, we should pack a suitcase and leave the rest. Our junk isn't that much different than the next guy's, and we can't find what we think we have when we need it anyway. Let the next person look through your junk for 'treasures'. I have bought 3 homes from retired folks and in the process took a lot of STUFF off their hands that I would love to pass off to some 'unsuspecting' 20 something (growing family)

Old 07-20-2010, 07:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Latashia,

I'm moving back to Florida, I moved here to NC about a 18 months and will be headed back as soon as possible.
Wow, Florida. People going and coming so fast to and from Florida, they are all going to crash into each other! I can't wait to hear about your new home!

UMBRIA, my brain is cooked from the heat ....where did you say you were moving??

Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
Wow, Florida. People going and coming so fast to and from Florida, they are all going to crash into each other! I can't wait to hear about your new home!

UMBRIA, my brain is cooked from the heat ....where did you say you were moving??
Rocky Mountain high~~~~~~~~~~~~~Colorado. Loveland (or area) or Colorado Springs. Plan to have a meetup whereever and whenever I land so save your pennies. Maybe you can catch a ride with Tesaje?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:25 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Since we have pretty much decided on our relo location, I decided to do away with much of the research and brochures I had accumulated over the last year while I considered many places across the southeast. Some info I will save because I'd like to visit those places again. Still more paperwork to dispose of but the file cabinet and drawers are becoming more empty....slowly.

It's easier and less emotional to get rid of paper than items which have memories tied to them. That will be a little later.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:30 PM

183 posts, read 351,998 times
I cleaned out our book case a few months back, but just got around to donating the five big boxes of books to our local library. They were thrilled. Then I found a place the takes any old computer and we got rid of the three computers we had taking up space, monitors and all. I'm on a charitable deduction spree!!!. Now that I am retired, I have all kinds of time to get to this stuff. Next is selling our old CD's (everything is on our computer and backed up two places, actually 5 if you count the iPods) and our DVD collection. The tide of battle is turning in the war to reclaim our media room from the clutter.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:42 PM

Well, I just started listing items on craigs list and seems like it might be working out. An hour after the ad went up, the emails started coming in. Not in droves, but off to a decent start. A lady is supposed to pick up some chairs after she gets off work in a little while.

Guess it's good I'm getting an early start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement