U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 PM
'M'
 
Location: Glendale Country Club
1,417 posts, read 1,400,047 times
Reputation: 1890
Default Letting go as you scale down for retirement

Recently, I've been looking at the need for scaling down my possessions, which suddenly seem like just too much to deal with. For example, why have 7 or 8 boxes of Christmas decorations and tree ornaments? Having so much means I need to have room to store it all.

As I've looked at everything I have, most of which is excessive, I'm finding that it won't be so bad to let go of at least 1/2 of these things, and I will still have all that I need.

Somehow I managed to fill every nook and cranny of the incredible amount of storage space I had in my last home. Probably will never have that much storage again. I've been astounded at how much has been accumulated due to this stuff, this clutter.

Now, due to a shortage of storage space, I'm taking a long, hard look at my "stuff". Some is being given away, some is being taken to the thrift stores.

I'm curious...as you people have neared your retirement transition....Have you noticed that what once was so very important is now of no importance to you? What changes have you noticed in yourself that you never thought would change? Did you accumulate things when you were younger and now can't believe that at one time you believed that they were so important?

This strange craving for moving my stuff around and out has led me to read Feng Shui books to help me sort out what is important and not-so-important. It will be interesting to read about other people's retirement epiphanies in this thread. Perhaps yours has nothing to do with clutter and stuff...but something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 PM
GLS
 
1,990 posts, read 3,369,864 times
Reputation: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Recently, I've been looking at the need for scaling down my possessions, which suddenly seem like just too much to deal with. For example, why have 7 or 8 boxes of Christmas decorations and tree ornaments? Having so much means I need to have room to store it all.

As I've looked at everything I have, most of which is excessive, I'm finding that it won't be so bad to let go of at least 1/2 of these things, and I will still have all that I need.

Somehow I managed to fill every nook and cranny of the incredible amount of storage space I had in my last home. Probably will never have that much storage again. I've been astounded at how much has been accumulated due to this stuff, this clutter.

Now, due to a shortage of storage space, I'm taking a long, hard look at my "stuff". Some is being given away, some is being taken to the thrift stores.

I'm curious...as you people have neared your retirement transition....Have you noticed that what once was so very important is now of no importance to you? What changes have you noticed in yourself that you never thought would change? Did you accumulate things when you were younger and now can't believe that at one time you believed that they were so important?

This strange craving for moving my stuff around and out has led me to read Feng Shui books to help me sort out what is important and not-so-important. It will be interesting to read about other people's retirement epiphanies in this thread. Perhaps yours has nothing to do with clutter and stuff...but something else.
I would be the first to admit that my wife has too much stuff. Actually, we all do, but a lot of that stuff sparks a memory of past trips, nostalgic gifts, etc. If I can't remember where I got something, when I last used it, or why I need it, it probably should be tossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN
5,309 posts, read 3,648,167 times
Reputation: 11745
I've been doing this for many years now - each time I did a sweep, it was painful at the time but after it was gone, I was glad.

I also have many boxes of Xmas stuff - have weeded it down some but need to get serious. This is tough because I'm extremly sentimental and have had this stuff for many many years -some purchased and some given to me. I have 30 Dept 56 Christmas houses - loved putting that all together at Xmas. It was my New England village. May have to keep those.

Clothes - another thing I have trouble parting with. I bought quality clothes and may never be able to do a lot of that going forward so I have a hard time letting anything go. The only stuff that gets worn out are the jeans & t-shirts I've been wearing since I retired.

Many on this board say get rid of all of it and buy second hand at the new location. Can't quite buy this - get rid of your own good stuff and buy someone else's questionable stuff?

I recently went through my kitchen and managed to trim it down considerably. That old second crockpot that was kept "just in case". That old electric fry pan - old baking sheets, etc...I felt liberated. I guess it depends on what it is I'm getting rid of.

It gets easier though with each sweep through that you do. Depends on your mood at the moment.

I have a hugh movie collection (about 500) and actually went through and picked out movies I didn't really care for that much and they went in the garage sale pile. Never thought I would do that.

Good luck with your downsizing! I'll be intersted in how you are doing with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 10:46 PM
 
9,956 posts, read 13,550,607 times
Reputation: 9874
I've never had a lot of stuff, having lived in multiple studio apartments until age 39. Then I moved into a 750 sq.ft. house, which seemed huge. Now I have a 1250 sq.ft. house. My basement has three dog crates and a shovel in it.
I think moving does wonders for getting rid of stuff. Living in a small place does wonders for not getting stuff in the first place.
I admit, with my current (dream) house, I have too many books. But it would certainly be easy to donate them to the biannual library sale if I wanted to.
I'm not frugal. I've just never liked having things that don't feel "alive" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 PM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 8,468,807 times
Reputation: 1991
Me too. I'm looking at my accumulated detrius of my life and realize that I only actually use about 1/4 of it. My rule is if I haven't seen or used it in 20 years (or maybe 10), then I really don't need it.

I donated 100s of good quality office clothes. I don't need it any more. I figure about 3 of that stuff will be all I will ever use again. Somebody may as well get some use out of them. It feels good to lighten my load. But there's still tons left to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 11:25 PM
GLS
 
1,990 posts, read 3,369,864 times
Reputation: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
......I donated 100s of good quality office clothes. I don't need it any more. .
I'm thinking about keeping a few of my dress shirts. I want to see the look on people's faces when I arrive at one of my wife's field trial events in a marshy pasture, wearing a monogrammed shirt with french cuffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 AM
 
28,611 posts, read 24,557,160 times
Reputation: 15999
hey your all forgetting THE ONE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 04:16 AM
 
755 posts, read 700,411 times
Reputation: 718
If I won't fit in the RV, I don't think I want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 06:13 AM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 8,468,807 times
Reputation: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
hey your all forgetting THE ONE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS!
Seriously not. I'm enjoying being retired way too much. I don't want to work longer to support an aquisition habit in a vain attempt to impress the neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:01 AM
 
18,957 posts, read 21,379,460 times
Reputation: 26512
I'm hoping I can convince Mrs. Tek of my philosophy when we make that retirement move.

Throw it away!! Sell it!! Don't pay to move it!!

Keep the minimum it takes to make you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top