U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:35 PM

8 posts, read 21,929 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are 70 and 72 and are trying to decide whether to sell our house of 40 years and move into something smaller and easier to take care of or to just stay put. We live way out of town so we don't do much but work on the place. We are considering whether to move to another state in an actual town and try something new, stay where we are but get something smaller with no yard, or just stay here and do the best we can and maybe hire help sometimes. Any opinions from people who have done any of these options would be appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 04:48 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,340,170 times
I would sell that puppy and go do something you enjoy. Get a smaller home that's easy/no maintenance. I think it's a shame to say you are retired and do nothing but take care of a house. Your belongings should serve you, not the other way around.

This will probably end up happening anyway. Eventually one of you won't be up to this anymore and you will have to sell. Might as well do it now while you can still do some fun things.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:13 PM

206 posts, read 870,765 times
^^^ I agree w/ yellowsnow. Eventually you'll need a home w/ less maintanence, might as well move now and get settled in somewhere else to enjoy life!!!!! My dad was in the same situation, he ended up selling his house (older, he was always fixing or replacing something) and 5 acres and relocated to a brand new home on 2 acres.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:17 AM

8 posts, read 21,929 times
I know this is a boring question but has anybody ever regretted selling out and moving? Missed their stuff too much?

Old 06-11-2007, 05:42 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,340,170 times
That won't happen. It's just stuff.

My mom is in her 80's and still has all her marbles. I got rid of all the stuff she had been accumulating since before WWII. And I mean all of it. That frugal woman had been paying to move all that junk all over the place for years. She was a byproduct of the depression and would never pitch anything because you might need it some day. I got rid of my old diapers and clothes that were pre-war! My mom couldn't do this. She was absolutely paralysed when it came to dealing with her own things. I had to do it for her.

So now she is happily ensconced in a seniors development in Texas. Well guess what? She knows all the stuff is gone but there's never been anything she's actually missed. Everything important was still there. All the rest was just stuff. For the first time in her life, she lives in a non cluttered environment that's easy to keep clean. She loves it.

This is worth repeating. Your posessions should serve you. When that is no longer the case, it's time to get rid of it!

Old 06-14-2007, 03:52 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,589,085 times
I would worry about moving away from friends, family and social/safety network..

Old 06-14-2007, 04:15 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,817,529 times
As I see it the question is do you have an itch you want to scratch? In other words, would you be moving because you were always curious about a more urban lifestyle and at some level it appeals to you, or are people just telling you that you should downsize and simplify your life, and you assume they must be correct???

It really is easy to resolve. If you are happy where you are and have a network of family and friends, the question is do you really want to dump this and do something else? The answer is only yes if you have felt as though you are missing out on something in life.

Have you considered renting an apartment in the city you are considering, while still holding on to your home? If you can afford to do this, it may give you some additional insights as to what would make you happy without making too large a financial commitment.

Best of luck, there is no wrong answer here.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:27 AM

4,948 posts, read 16,531,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawson34 View Post
My husband and I are 70 and 72 and are trying to decide whether to sell our house of 40 years and move into something smaller and easier to take care of or to just stay put. We live way out of town so we don't do much but work on the place. We are considering whether to move to another state in an actual town and try something new, stay where we are but get something smaller with no yard, or just stay here and do the best we can and maybe hire help sometimes. Any opinions from people who have done any of these options would be appreciated.
Thanks
i would agree while you can put the house up for sale. Then when it sells put the money in a CD and decide would you rather stay in this area, ar go else where. Then if you wish to relocate rent for at least 6 months while your money will collect intrest. That should give you the feel of the area so you do not feel traped. You could even store your belonging and get a place with furniture. I moved to Fl from MA to a place where you do not do outside work. Now I think the time has come to relocate once again. I am thinking of a continuing care community located in Tenn. Something breaks you just call and say fix it you get sick, no problem, need a doctor you get driven in a Caddie. anyway I am single, and not getting any younger. Also I am not a mr fix it person.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 54,008,430 times
Quote:
I know this is a boring question but has anybody ever regretted selling out and moving? Missed their stuff too much?
Not the stuff so much but my In-laws downsized about 15 years ago when they only had one child left at home. They found a nice house with a great lot on a quite street then the kids started getting married and oops, there is no room for everyone . THEN the grandkids started coming and they quickly figured out they went too small. They found a great 2 story house with main floor living. They shut the upstairs off when no one is visiting but when everyone does come there is plenty of room.

When we moved last we were looking for a single story home with main floor living and 3 bedrooms in the basement thinking ahead to retirement but could not find one. I hoped to never move again but alas, we will move one more time I suspect.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM

34,694 posts, read 33,709,656 times
Quote:
Thanks
What do you want to do with your lives in your possible new location? Are you looking to move closer to people? Where are your friends and family? I'm asking the last question because maybe you want to move into something smaller but not so far away from friends or family.

If you decide to move, there is a good article in the July/August 2007 issue of Where To Retire magazine called "Take The Stress Out Of Moving" that you might want to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement