Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

We decided against St. George because of high housing costs compared to other locations we are looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Go with Nevada, no state income tax.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Hi...I realize this is an old post...but does anyone have new experience or opinions with St George or the new Sun City Mesquite Nevada location?
DW have a second home in Ivins which is a suburb of St. George. We've owned it for the last four years and hope to ultimately retire there. My wife becomes eligible for a retirement from her government job in less than five years. Most of the homes in our area are Spanish style stucco and are designed to fit it in next to the red rock bluffs and canyons we live next too. We have lawn, but our yard is planted with cactus, succulents, and other plants native to adjacent desert.

Others have pointed out that taxes are comparatively high here. I've lived in Utah most of my life and perhaps because of that I'm just used to the tax structure. It doesn't bother us. The St. George area or Washington County is a very nice area. Taxes are high for a reason. We have great infrastructure and services. We have very low violent crime. I spoke to a deputy sheriff once who told me that he had trouble thinking of a community in the area with a significant crime problem.

The area where we live has an endless assortment of walks and hiking trails. Since I love hiking this suits me very well. I am one mile from a state park. I'm about a mile and a half from a large outdoor theater that schedules major plays during the summer months and has a farmers market on Saturday, nine months a year. I live about five miles from a huge Indian petroglyph site. We have a large pool and aquatic center about 2 miles away. My wife is in to water aerobics and plans to make heavy use of this. A brand new public library is about three miles away.

One misconception though about the area is that winter is nonexistent. Winter does come here and during January, at least, there will be some amount of snow that falls. However, it doesn't last long. It is quite hot in the summer and temperatures can reach 110 degrees. I find that tolerable because I'm used to a dry climate and there is very little humidity in the area. St. George is just a little cooler than Las Vegas is. Make no mistake, the area around St. George is essentially desert. If you are looking for something else than this is probably not the place for you. I love the desert and this sort of climate.

The area is within one day's drive of the Los Angeles area. Its about one and one-half hours from Las Vegas. Its a little more than one hour away from Zion National Park.

One could choose to live in Mesquite, Nevada which is just 40 miles away. However, because taxes in Nevada are lower, the infrastructure in such places is worse. I also think because Utah doesn't allow gambling and the kind of activities that take place in Nevada that the people here are more well behaved and take better care of their property.

The cost of living in St. George maybe a little higher, but to us it is worth it. If you want more information about the area, don't hesitate to DM me. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Last edited by markg91359; 09-17-2013 at 06:41 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 08:30 AM

350 posts, read 709,800 times
Too cold.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfeathers View Post
Hi...I realize this is an old post...but does anyone have new experience or opinions with St George or the new Sun City Mesquite Nevada location?
We toured Sun City Mesquite last December. We thought it was a beautiful community. We spent 5 days total in Mesquite. I interviewed everyone I met there. Waitresses, small business owners etc. Everyone we met said they loved living in Mesquite. We met quite a few "snow birds" since we were there in December. Sun City seemed very affordable to us, but we live in San Diego so everything outside of California seems affordable. The grounds are really pretty, golf course, indoor pool, outdoor pool. The people that live there love it, it is a "lifestyle" etc.

Mesquite is a very clean town, new hospital less than one mile from Sun City, new Super Walmart, several restaurants, etc. One half of the town is newer, mainly master planned communities, golf courses. The other half of the town is older, older stores etc. but not run down.

St. George is about a 35 minute drive and has what Mesquite does not have a CostCo, Kohls, more Car Dealerships etc. I think Mesquite had 2 car dealerships.

Las Vegas is 75 miles south down Interstate 15. That is a plus to have access to their airport.

I would choose Mesquite due to no State Income tax. Utah taxes social security (I think) and has state income tax. Also St. George housing is quite a bit more expensive. Mesquite had a lot of churches to chose from. I felt Mesquite had everything we would need and if not St. George and Vegas are not too far.

What impressed me the most was that everyone told me how much they loved Mesquite and I felt like I had interviwed half the town. They did say the summers are hot (of course) but after the first year you start to adjust. Stay inside during the hottest hours etc.

We are going back during the summer to experience just how hot "hot" is to see if we could handle that because we live near the Bay and are used to "perfect" weather. Perfect weather is very expensive.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:24 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Others have pointed out that taxes are comparatively high here.
If I remember correctly, St George Utah is actually cheaper than Mesquite Nevada when it comes to sales tax!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 PM

105 posts, read 357,538 times
thank you all for taking the time to detail some information on St George Utah and on Mesquite. More helpful than you can know! I appreciate the help!
To add more to the discussion, I had done some research on taxes....here it is...seems like Nevada would be less expensive to live, but I would still need to research medical facilities, and support for special needs adults. Any knowledge of these two areas of concern?

UTAH

Sales Taxes

State Sales Tax: 4.70% (prescription drugs exempt); 1.75% on residential utilities; 2.75% on food and food ingredients; local option taxes may raise the total tax to 9.95%.
Gasoline Tax: 42.9 cents/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Diesel Fuel Tax: 48.9 cents/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Cigarette Tax: $1.70/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes

Tax Rate Range: Flat tax of 5%

NEVADA

Sales Taxes

State Sales Tax: 6.85% until June 2013 (food and prescription drugs exempt). Counties may add up to 1.25% additional.
Gasoline Tax: 51.5 cents/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Diesel Fuel Tax: 53.0 cents/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Cigarette Tax: 80 cents/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes

No state income tax
Retirement Income: Not taxed

Old 09-18-2013, 10:28 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
St. George is within the lone place in UT that has a low desert climate zone. That's Zone 12/13 for those who are familiar with the Sunset Western Garden Guide. What that means is, it almost never snows. Go up I-15 just a little, up to say, Cedar City, and you are definitely talking snow. Big difference over those few miles.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
DW have a second home in Ivins which is a suburb of St. George. We've owned it for the last four years and hope to ultimately retire there. My wife becomes eligible for a retirement from her government job in less than five years. Most of the homes in our area are Spanish style stucco and are designed to fit it in next to the red rock bluffs and canyons we live next too. We have lawn, but our yard is planted with cactus, succulents, and other plants native to adjacent desert.

Others have pointed out that taxes are comparatively high here. I've lived in Utah most of my life and perhaps because of that I'm just used to the tax structure. It doesn't bother us. The St. George area or Washington County is a very nice area. Taxes are high for a reason. We have great infrastructure and services. We have very low violent crime. I spoke to a deputy sheriff once who told me that he had trouble thinking of a community in the area with a significant crime problem.

The area where we live has an endless assortment of walks and hiking trails. Since I love hiking this suits me very well. I am one mile from a state park. I'm about a mile and a half from a large outdoor theater that schedules major plays during the summer months and has a farmers market on Saturday, nine months a year. I live about five miles from a huge Indian petroglyph site. We have a large pool and aquatic center about 2 miles away. My wife is in to water aerobics and plans to make heavy use of this. A brand new public library is about three miles away.

One misconception though about the area is that winter is nonexistent. Winter does come here and during January, at least, there will be some amount of snow that falls. However, it doesn't last long. It is quite hot in the summer and temperatures can reach 110 degrees. I find that tolerable because I'm used to a dry climate and there is very little humidity in the area. St. George is just a little cooler than Las Vegas is. Make no mistake, the area around St. George is essentially desert. If you are looking for something else than this is probably not the place for you. I love the desert and this sort of climate.

The area is within one day's drive of the Los Angeles area. Its about one and one-half hours from Las Vegas. Its a little more than one hour away from Zion National Park.

One could choose to live in Mesquite, Nevada which is just 40 miles away. However, because taxes in Nevada are lower, the infrastructure in such places is worse. I also think because Utah doesn't allow gambling and the kind of activities that take place in Nevada that the people here are more well behaved and take better care of their property.

The cost of living in St. George maybe a little higher, but to us it is worth it. If you want more information about the area, don't hesitate to DM me. I'll be happy to answer any questions.
Ivins is higher elevation than St. George proper if I recall correctly from my visits to area. There is very little snow in St. George proper. Compare with areas a mere 20 miles further up I-15 North.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,738 times
Here is the link to the hospital in Mesquite:

http://www.mesaviewhospital.com/About/Pages/About.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement