U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-10-2010, 01:52 PM
 
380 posts, read 1,083,358 times
Reputation: 205

Advertisements

I work at UPS and my pension kicks in after 5 years. is what I was told.... and I cant get it until im 55, is there anyway I could take a penalty hit If I were to quit after 5 years? anyone know
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2010, 02:39 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 19,850,813 times
Reputation: 6215
do you mean you are vested after 5 years? Our pension plan is a pure pension plan, you are vested after 7 years meaning the pension is always there for you even if you no longer work there, but you can't access the money until the company retirment age of 55. i think until you reach the company retirment age, the money is technically the companies only set aside to cover pensions for all covered people, but not actually your money. But if you have a 401k and such, thats your money.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
1,802 posts, read 7,294,033 times
Reputation: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
do you mean you are vested after 5 years? Our pension plan is a pure pension plan, you are vested after 7 years meaning the pension is always there for you even if you no longer work there, but you can't access the money until the company retirment age of 55. i think until you reach the company retirment age, the money is technically the companies only set aside to cover pensions for all covered people, but not actually your money. But if you have a 401k and such, thats your money.
This is similar to the plan that my employer provided. You were vested after 5 years but if you left before 30 years you would have to wait until normal retirement age of 62 before you could collect. If you have a full 30 years of service there is no age requirement. And the pension amount for only 5 years of service is very minimal - you certainly couldn't live on it. The more years of service you have the higher the pension.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 17,696,359 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
I work at UPS and my pension kicks in after 5 years. is what I was told.... and I cant get it until im 55, is there anyway I could take a penalty hit If I were to quit after 5 years? anyone know
Why are you asking this question here......the wrong place to ask.

UPS is union with the Teamsters being the union that represents the workers. Ask your union shop rep or inquire at the union hall. If that doesn't satisfy you then ask at your companies Human Relations department.

C-D IS THE WRONG PLACE TO ASK.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
 
380 posts, read 1,083,358 times
Reputation: 205
I figured that there were some fellow UPS workers on here I could ask. Sorry If I offended you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 07:39 AM
 
8,191 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Reputation: 17964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Why are you asking this question here......the wrong place to ask.

UPS is union with the Teamsters being the union that represents the workers. Ask your union shop rep or inquire at the union hall. If that doesn't satisfy you then ask at your companies Human Relations department.

C-D IS THE WRONG PLACE TO ASK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
I figured that there were some fellow UPS workers on here I could ask. Sorry If I offended you.
There was nothing wrong with your question, and your logic for asking it here is sound. Conversely, there was no reason for the sarcastic response you received from the previous poster.

It's at times like this that I wish C-D had an "anti-rep" button so that we could express our disapproval with a post just as we can rep one we like.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 17,696,359 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
I figured that there were some fellow UPS workers on here I could ask. Sorry If I offended you.
You didn't offend me at all. However, THE best place to get this kind of info is where I suggested that you ask. It's your future isn't it? If it were me I'd want exact info from the very people that have first hand knowledge of your pension plan/rights.

I'd rather inform in a blunt , but direct ,manner to get the OP's attention so that no real harm is done with bad or half baked opinions so common on net boards. Some folks see that as sarcatic but it's not. Not at all.........
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM
 
1,662 posts, read 4,006,795 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
I work at UPS and my pension kicks in after 5 years. is what I was told.... and I cant get it until im 55, is there anyway I could take a penalty hit If I were to quit after 5 years? anyone know
Go to your HR or union rep and ask for a "Summary Plan Description".

They are required to give you one if you ask. This should explain your plan, how it works, how your benefit grows, when you can retire, etc. in layman's terms.

You also have the right to receive annually a personal statement of benefits from the plan administrator. If they are not already providing this, ask about it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 06:39 AM
 
8,191 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Reputation: 17964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Why are you asking this question here......the wrong place to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I'd rather inform in a blunt , but direct ,manner to get the OP's attention so that no real harm is done with bad or half baked opinions so common on net boards. Some folks see that as sarcatic but it's not. Not at all.........
The reason that some folks see that as sarcastic is that you used an emoticon to specifically indicate that you were being sarcastic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 17,696,359 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The reason that some folks see that as sarcastic is that you used an emoticon to specifically indicate that you were being sarcastic.
This is sarcastic,pal....
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top