U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:18 PM

4,682 posts, read 3,253,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You've never just sat and daydreamed ? You've never just sat and people watched ?
It's very relaxing no matter where you are.

I so agree with you. If people judged my happiness/unhappiness by how I looked, they would think I lead a terrible life. Relaxing, watching people, etc. does not require a particular facial expression. I know at one time we were told to always have a smile on our faces, but how unrealistic is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 02:38 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,582,652 times
When I relax my face, I look angry.

So I try to smile

Old 05-19-2015, 08:50 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
I have been in many shopping malls over the past two weeks as we generally do NOT shop unless we are on vacation. I have not seen many sad, bored, lonely old men at the Shopping Mall.

What I do see are a lot of tired and impatient husbands wondering when the heck their wives are going to come out of the store. When my wife says, "I will be in that store for ten minutes. It is 1:30 pm and you can time me." Translated, that means, you have time to walk half way across the Mega-outlet mall, stop at Starbucks, wait ten minutes for them to do a "pour-over", walk back, arrive at 2:05 pm, find a seat, and take a rest. She will walk out at 2:15 pm and tell me "see, I told you that I would be back shortly."

I think that in every mall, they should convert one of the vacant stores into a mini sports bar with lounge chairs, several big screen TVs and a small bar. That way, women could drop off their husbands and take their good old time ...

Old 05-20-2015, 04:41 AM

4,849 posts, read 4,964,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I think that in every mall, they should convert one of the vacant stores into a mini sports bar with lounge chairs, several big screen TVs and a small bar. That way, women could drop off their husbands and take their good old time ...
That's a good idea.

As for me, I learned a long time ago to avoid shopping with my wife. I'll never change her behavior and she won't change mine. And that's fine with both of us.

Men hunt but women gather.

When I'm looking for something I'll usually go to one store, kill it and bring it home. Done.

When she shops, she visits all the stores, looks and tries on many things and generally comes home empty handed. That way she can repeat the event the next day at a plethora of new stores.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:33 AM

1,322 posts, read 837,119 times
Gee, I must be a rare female! I hate shopping. I go get what I need and get out. In fact, my daughter hated shopping with me and would call her grandmother when she wanted to go shopping

Old 05-20-2015, 05:48 AM

58 posts, read 25,731 times
Quote:
I have been in many shopping malls over the past two weeks as we generally do NOT shop unless we are on vacation. I have not seen many sad, bored, lonely old men at the Shopping Mall.

What I do see are a lot of tired and impatient husbands wondering when the heck their wives are going to come out of the store. When my wife says, "I will be in that store for ten minutes. It is 1:30 pm and you can time me." Translated, that means, you have time to walk half way across the Mega-outlet mall, stop at Starbucks, wait ten minutes for them to do a "pour-over", walk back, arrive at 2:05 pm, find a seat, and take a rest. She will walk out at 2:15 pm and tell me "see, I told you that I would be back shortly."

No you don't need another bar lol! I have been single a long time but I can never understand women who take their husbands to the mall, I mean who needs it? Why do you go along with them? Is it to check how much they are spending, or to make sure they don't buy clothes you don't like? It's so annoying when men stand near the changing cubicles to look at what their girlfriends are trying on. They just get in the way. And don't even mention the supermarket - they take so long to decide about everything OMG. Just get on with it and get out. (Did you guess, I hate shopping?)

Old 05-20-2015, 06:01 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,746,934 times
A couple of weeks ago it was cold and raining. I went to the mall and walked around for exercise. I did not see any old men sitting around. In fact the mall seems to attract mostly teenage girls and vain women. Unless you are interested in the latest fashion there is really not much reason to visit. Except for my exercise trip, even my wife does not visit except for every couple of years. I understand there is a morning exercise group that walks the mall as soon as it opens.

Personally I cannot even understand how the stores in the mall survive. The rents must be very high. Are there that many people who are interested in clothing? I know my interest is very minimal and keeps decreasing as I age. I have past the point where I need to impress anyone especially with my appearance.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:19 AM

29,788 posts, read 34,885,423 times
Quote:

Bada Bing! I wonder how many of the people who say such about us older guys and Malls are either married or male and a senior.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:21 AM

29,788 posts, read 34,885,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyathome View Post
No you don't need another bar lol! I have been single a long time but I can never understand women who take their husbands to the mall, I mean who needs it? Why do you go along with them? Is it to check how much they are spending, or to make sure they don't buy clothes you don't like? It's so annoying when men stand near the changing cubicles to look at what their girlfriends are trying on. They just get in the way. And don't even mention the supermarket - they take so long to decide about everything OMG. Just get on with it and get out. (Did you guess, I hate shopping?)
Some couples like to do things together and actually combine stops for his, her and joint needs. We do it. Lunch after is nice.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:35 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyathome View Post

Why do I allow myself to get dragged to the mall?

Well, generally, we do about 90% of our mall shopping on vacation or when visiting our parents. We love our parents but after they tell us the same stories for the third time, we need to bail for a while. And a mall is a great place to walk when you don't belong to a gym locally or when the weather is inclement.

Also, in these cases, we generally have one car.

As for supermarket shopping, I always try to leave my wife at home. She slows down the entire process by at least 40% and she wants to second guess as to whether I selected the largest, most fresh melon and the like.

But then you are single and you probably would not understand ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or