U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:41 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,842,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I'm just going to accumulate as much vacation time as possible over the years, so I can travel anytime I want to or even work part time. But to retire entirely, I'm going to get bored.
Whatever floats your boat! Everyone enjoys walking down a different path.

But, I have to wonder why you bothered to come to this forum. It's sorta like posting on the pets forum "I will never have a pet" or posting on the travel forum "I never want to travel."

If the working world is so exciting I can't imagine why you're wasting time reading about something that doesn't interest you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 04:56 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,996,439 times
You're right one has to wonder, is the poster hoping we can convince them to change their ways. Like I say if it blows your skirt up go for it. I'm looking forward to the times I can sleep in if I want or not, dress up or not. Oh what a wonderful yet scary idea.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:13 PM

13,345 posts, read 25,601,842 times
I've never had a significant period of time in my life since age 16 where I didn't work, and the need to make a living has always come first (although I've tried mightily to make work meaningful). I consider myself an honorable failure in that venture! My only concern about possible retirement is financial, as I could be tempted to do it sooner than would be prudent. Now, I must admit that I work in a job that can offer part-time and on-call work, and many people "retire" and then pick up work for trips, etc. I consider "retirement" to be when you take your pension, if you have one, and any paid work is for extras, or because it's work you want to get done (like volunteer work).

Old 12-25-2007, 09:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,476,211 times
I am retired and age 62.
There is not a night that I go to bed that I don't reflect on the 19 years I had a 2:00AM alarm set to do hard physical work on the job, 10 years working rotating shifts at a 24/7 plant, or 4 years at a 12 hour nightshift. (I forgot about the many years setting a 5:00 AM alarm to milk my cows on my dairy farm also.

I am neither bragging nor complaining about my past 44 years--------just stating how gratefull I am that they are no lomger part of my life.

Guilty about cashing my SS check?---------you gotta be kidding

Old 12-26-2007, 10:54 PM

10,394 posts, read 9,405,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I am retired and age 62.
There is not a night that I go to bed that I don't reflect on the 19 years I had a 2:00AM alarm set to do hard physical work on the job, 10 years working rotating shifts at a 24/7 plant, or 4 years at a 12 hour nightshift. (I forgot about the many years setting a 5:00 AM alarm to milk my cows on my dairy farm also.

I am neither bragging nor complaining about my past 44 years--------just stating how gratefull I am that they are no lomger part of my life.

Guilty about cashing my SS check?---------you gotta be kidding
I am with you! When I retire in a few years I will have worked 47 years....more than enough! The only reason I would consider even part-time is if I need the additional $$...otherwise: ADIOS alarm clock, bosses, corporate BS, workaday stress, etc., and HELLO freedom to go to sleep when I want, get up when I want, do what I want, and if the weather is crappy...stay inside!!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 PM

5,181 posts, read 8,707,888 times
Smile Retirement - diff views

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I
Now, I say this in as kind a way as possible, but if you do not plan to retire there is no reason for you to post on a site dedicated to retirement--is there? We really don't need to hear from people almost "proudly" saying they will never retire when there are people that want to get good advice as to what to do and how to handle their retirement. Does that sound unkind? Forgive me, but I have just met so many self-employed or powerful professionals that do not understand that the average little guy just wants out at some point to enjoy their personal life. Once again, if you define yourself by your work, keep working. But for the rest of us here, we really don't want to hear about it.
As a self employed person not totally of choice, I understand your opinion.
However, I am using this site to find out about retirement and options so I can educate myself. I have no one I can talk to about this. My husband would agree in a heartbeat. I find some comments very uplifting and that's something I don't see sometimes. I am open to the comments here and I am learning things I never thought of. Retirement was a scary thing for me to think about. I have few rode models in this. I am just trying to use this site to read comments, to learn what is ahead of us, what people have done, not done, what they liked, didn't like, etc.

BTW, I did work in corporate America for a while but because I am blind in one eye and weak sight in the other, it became an issue only when others wanted my job. So, I have had to work 2 jobs most of my life to make up what most people do. But I am grateful for the sight I have. My husband did work for a large company also but politics played a part. He is now self employed also.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,850,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
My husband says he will never retire - he's a pharmacist - unless his body or mind gives out on him. I hope that's true - his work is his life in many ways. True to being a pharmacist, he does require structure. I work from home, so all I'll be doing is turning the computer on a little less.

Since he doesn't want to retire and I do, we've decided to move mine up....it's the best of both worlds! I get to play and he gets to work and we are both EXTREMELY pleased with that plan!
My wife is a pharmacist. Unfortunately she was not amenable to your plan when I presented it to her. If I give you her number, would you please have your husband call her and sell her your "best of both worlds" (I play, she works) concept.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:02 PM

955 posts, read 1,956,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I work in Human Resources for a very large employer, and have been involved in the recruitment of hundreds of people. I push for the managers to hire older workers but in general unless you are on the executive track it is nearly impossible to be hired when you are over 60. Those people who want to work past 65 better have some serious luck getting hired. Age discrimination is serious.
It is a real problem and one that is just ignored. I often think that hiring managers are just intimidated (afraid for their own skins) when they see the wealth of experience that older workers can bring to the table.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:54 PM

702 posts, read 2,894,519 times
Default Over 65???

Let's face it; who wants to hire someone over 65 and then train them only to have them retire a couple years later.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 PM

5,181 posts, read 8,707,888 times
Smile When I hired people....

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Let's face it; who wants to hire someone over 65 and then train them only to have them retire a couple years later.
I had a personal experience with a woman who came to me when she was 68She did not look 68, act 68 at all. I thought she was around 50. She was interviewing to be my nanny, grandma for hire, babysitter, all around mom while I worked. She worked for me for 20 years. She left this world 02/10/05at the age of 88. We could not have made without her; we became her family. We miss her and think about her every day. She made my life a breeze. When I got home, the laundry was done, the beds made, the home immaculate, everything in place. My children miss her dearly. The experience taught them a lot about the elderly and what they can teach us!!

In my business, I have no age problem as long as they can do the work. I know pretty quickly if they can't cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or