Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

[quote=Marlow;905434]I'm not going to retire either. Barring health problems, my plan is to work at my current job for 10-11 more years and "retire" from it and then get a teaching certificate and do that til they kick me out. Then maybe I'll work part-time somewhere as a greeter or receptionist.

Some people retire well, but I think I need structure and somewhere to go to keep me from staying in my pj's and reading the paper til noon every day.[/QUOTE]

You say it like that's a bad thing.

I originally thought I'd work until 64-65. Instead, I pulled the plug at 62 at the end of last year. Although I didn't know it when I made the decision to retire, if I was still working I would be making over $1,000 less each month due to fuloughs, while working more hours to make up for them.

I wondered what I'd do with all that time on my hands but there's always something. Once we've moved to another state in the next couple of months there will be plenty to explore and see, fishing to take up, travel to do visiting children and grandchildren from coast-to-coast and nature photography to pursue once again as a hobby.

Work? Retirement taught me that it's a 4-letter word!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am pretty much in that boat as well with a chronic illness that is only getting worse and needs constant medical supervision. But that's the way things are. Some are fortunate enough not to have these problems and some are not. Even with employer-paid insurance co-pays can be killers.
Ironically, the very job I have to have in order to maintain my insurance is extremely stressful and doesn't help my condition.
People in other countries with whom I correspond can't even imagine this situation since their medical treatment does not depend upon whether of not they are working.
Being able to semi-retire (still needing to work part time) and having Medicare will be a blessing for me.
I think yopu need to really look at the cost inthose countries for medaicl acre and where iot comes from. one reason so mnay live inh governamnt housing and wiol never own a home. ASlso why they have a 30% under 30 unemployment rate.People here can get on medicaid when they get to that level and actually get better ;quicker medical care.Noopne wants to have to go blind i one eye for example before getting sergery for the other eye or not have the most effective medicine for their treatjmentor get notified they received the best benefit of treatment which means no more money for their condtiion.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:28 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Here where i live you would be lucky to find a job at 55 and the big companies get rid of people at around 60 how long you have worked there and your experience is not taken into consideration.
I retired at 60 and i have enjoyed these years get out and smell the roses as they say while you still can. There is a lot you can do as volunteers helping other people and the community. I say let the young have the jobs.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think yopu need to really look at the cost inthose countries for medaicl acre and where iot comes from. one reason so mnay live inh governamnt housing and wiol never own a home. ASlso why they have a 30% under 30 unemployment rate.People here can get on medicaid when they get to that level and actually get better ;quicker medical care.Noopne wants to have to go blind i one eye for example before getting sergery for the other eye or not have the most effective medicine for their treatjmentor get notified they received the best benefit of treatment which means no more money for their condtiion.
Believe me, I have made a study of health care and costs in other countries since I became a medical claims examiner in the 60's. I know of people here who go to other countries for serious medical care because it's better and cheaper. Just because Americans pay more for it doesn't mean our health care is better than other countries. In fact, the WHO has the US listed around 35th in quality health care. We are actually outranked by some of the third world counties.

Have you tried or are you on Medicaid? It isn't easy to get on it.

As far as owning a home, I had to laugh at that one. I have never in my life earned enough money for a down-payment on a home. But I never really wanted one all that badly either. What I always wished for was a medical plan I could afford and not have to be tied down to a stressful, low-paying job just because that was the only way I could get medical insurance.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i have buried a number of friends (9 to be exact) who had loads of vacation time on the books.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
If one loves their job and wants to keep it by all means they should do so if they can. But for me, the idea of having more free time to do what I would like to do is pure heaven. I love the idea that if I want to sit home one day and do nothing but watch TV in my jammys I would have the time is wonderful.

The idea that I can pursue daytime classes or volunteer or just do my laundry on any day other than Saturday or Sunday is such a luxury. To me it's all about the freedom to do what I want when I want.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If one loves their job and wants to keep it by all means they should do so if they can. But for me, the idea of having more free time to do what I would like to do is pure heaven. I love the idea that if I want to sit home one day and do nothing but watch TV in my jammys I would have the time is wonderful.

The idea that I can pursue daytime classes or volunteer or just do my laundry on any day other than Saturday or Sunday is such a luxury. To me it's all about the freedom to do what I want when I want.
Yes, indeed!

Old 08-08-2009, 10:25 PM

162 posts, read 633,393 times
I haven't put pencil to paper but I suspect my current accrued combined benefits, if I were retired, would be close to my current salary.

However, I love my job. I'm in my 3rd career. I worked for 35 years in two previous careers, then went back and got my master's degree so I could switch to my current field, where I've worked for 10 years.
I finally found my life's calling. Life is good.

I'm still accumulating savings and s.s. credits, and I'm not drawing any money from my investments. So even tho I could retire, I'm still financially benefiting. In fact I'm spending way less than I used to because I'm so content in my work that I don't feel the need to 'reward' myself by shopping, eating out, etc.

All that aside, Im not here to say I'll never retire. I might decide to retire next year or the next in order to pursue personal interests. It's a win-win for me.

I apologize if I'm gloating too much. However, since I worked 35 years in careers and jobs that made me miserable, I think I'm entitled!

Old 08-09-2009, 02:07 AM

51 posts, read 202,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miokie View Post
I haven't put pencil to paper but I suspect my current accrued combined benefits, if I were retired, would be close to my current salary.
Some would say that you are essentially working for free, given that you could get the same salary by retiring. However given how happy you are in your career, I like your plan!

I retired last year at 55. I enjoyed my work tremendously, and enjoyed most of the people I worked with. But the stress was high, the hours long. While I enjoyed my career, it was really just a vehicle to get me here, to retirement. We moved and now have two new areas to explore. I seem to be as busy as I've ever been, and there's always something else that needs to get done, or some place we want to go.

Retirement, like life, is exactly what you make of it. I can't predict how I'll feel in 5 or 10 years, but right now I'm loving every minute of it.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,018 times
I feel so sorry for all these people who say they won't retire because they don't know what to do with their time. Well I am 59 and I have a 2 hour commute into Wall Street each way, and sure I make good money, but once i hit 62 its Good Night Irene.!!!!!! Outta here.
There is so much volunteer work that needs to be done in this country theat you can fill every hour of every day. I am not referring to individuals that need to continue to work to pay the bills but i don't get it for people who are financially secure and have no outside interests. Personally i love dogs and defenseless pets. My stomach is in knots when i see these pictures of abandoned dogs who are abused by their owners. This is where I want to spend some of my spare time.
Sorry if i offended anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement