U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,944,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
... My stomach is in knots when i see these pictures of abandoned dogs who are abused by their owners. This is where I want to spend some of my spare time.
OK, when you get the USA animal neglect under control, you can go to Thailand. The dogs are pathetic here. I saw a REALLY nice HEALTHY 'stout' dog guarding the door of a gold trader... and then I realized how RARE that is to see in Asia.

I have many friends that do horse and dog rescue, they quite enjoy it. That is a fine way to NOT retire. I'm a farm kid, so enjoy my pets as WORKING stock, but we all wear out eventually... Unfortunately my pets go more frequently than I. All that training... to start OVER. (again). I'm too old to do that again (I think).

But... A good working stock / hunting dog !!! A very NICE best friend.

Training farm dogs would be a rewarding and helpful thing for someone to do in retirement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,963,963 times
Interesting reply, not sure you are agreeing with me or not but at the end of the day there are tons of great "Volunteer" work that needs able bodied and minded individuals to help out.

when I pack it in it will be at the end of 7 Relocations and 40 years of commuting and working 1-12 hour days.

Enough of these suits and 655.00 a month Ferry tickets............

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
OK, when you get the USA animal neglect under control, you can go to Thailand. The dogs are pathetic here. I saw a REALLY nice HEALTHY 'stout' dog guarding the door of a gold trader... and then I realized how RARE that is to see in Asia.

I have many friends that do horse and dog rescue, they quite enjoy it. That is a fine way to NOT retire. I'm a farm kid, so enjoy my pets as WORKING stock, but we all wear out eventually... Unfortunately my pets go more frequently than I. All that training... to start OVER. (again). I'm too old to do that again (I think).

But... A good working stock / hunting dog !!! A very NICE best friend.

Training farm dogs would be a rewarding and helpful thing for someone to do in retirement

Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I'm just going to accumulate as much vacation time as possible over the years, so I can travel anytime I want to or even work part time. But to retire entirely, I'm going to get bored.
You might feel that way right now, I don't have a clue your age and haven't read all the responses to your posting, but time has a way of changing us. Many of us for different reasons did continue to work part time, yes, we enjoy travel and yes, sitting at home can get boring, but as our age advances the energy level declines. I just realized this when I started to get the garden ready this year. The enthusiasm isn't quite the same and what I used to do in 2 or 3 hours, now takes twice as long cause I have to take more breaks. I never thought I would retire either, but I decided last year to give up my part time job. I have no regrets. If you don't want to get bored, get involved with your church, your community, the senior center or volunteer at the local library. There is no reason to sit around, but there are lots of reasons to retire.

I just noticed OP posted his remarks 6 years ago, and he hasn't been back to CD since 2008. I wonder if he got so busy working and traveling he didn't have time to post here anymore?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:13 AM

9,576 posts, read 10,920,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Personally i love dogs and defenseless pets. My stomach is in knots when i see these pictures of abandoned dogs who are abused by their owners. This is where I want to spend some of my spare time.
Sorry if i offended anyone.
You couldn't do anything better at any point in your life. I have two rescue dogs as well as a formal feral cat. When I die my money goes to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. You certainly didn't offend me; I'll take animals over people any day.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just noticed OP posted his remarks 6 years ago, and he hasn't been back to CD since 2008. I wonder if he got so busy working and traveling he didn't have time to post here anymore?
Sad thought, but he might be dead.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You couldn't do anything better at any point in your life. I have two rescue dogs as well as a formal feral cat. When I die my money goes to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. You certainly didn't offend me; I'll take animals over people any day.

Thanks Happy, I prefer to be around dogs than people anyway after all these years working....Pets-Dogs are very loyal and will never stab you in the back to try to get ahead.

Ha!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I'm just going to accumulate as much vacation time as possible over the years, so I can travel anytime I want to or even work part time. But to retire entirely, I'm going to get bored.
At some point either the company will want a younger employee ;you job wil face cut backs or somethig else like health will make you likely retire.So better plan for anythig that can and by larger per centage likely has ppen as you get older.Life never stay the same especvially as we age.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 AM

Well stated Tex, at most firms, unless you are the COO, CFO, President, Chairman, once you hit 60 or so you will notice a change in the-your work enviroment. I just turned 59 and I am a Senior Vice President of a Wall Street Brokerage firm and every now and than I am noticing a change in the enviroment. They all know I plan on retiring at 62 or 63 so it doesn't bother me but I am no fool to think that if we experience a decline in revenue or if we have expense issues my name could be on the list.

Its known as "Welcome to the Business world".... Never assume you are untouchable.
Its like being a aging professional athlete, its part of the Business.!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
At some point either the company will want a younger employee ;you job wil face cut backs or somethig else like health will make you likely retire.So better plan for anythig that can and by larger per centage likely has ppen as you get older.Life never stay the same especvially as we age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or