U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 03:45 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,825,994 times

Advertisements

You cannot find a place that will make you happy. Happy comes within.
If an older mother is finding it difficult to maintain her home and grounds, help her. If she likes where she is, then she should stay there. If she can only stay with help, help.

It will be a heck of a lot cheaper than assisted living.

What to do when retired? Bus trips with other seniors,, go to Branson, see New England's fall colors, go gambling in Las Vegas etc.

Join the local historical society and be a volunteer docent.

Buy a sailboat, a motorcycle, get a pilots license, buy a horse. go hiking, go camping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 02:38 PM

702 posts, read 2,892,767 times
You have to be mentally prepared for retirement. Some people can retire early and do fine while others get bored and look for part-time work and get paid a fraction of what they were earning. My wife says that she can't retire and handle all that free time. She is not a person who can watch TV, she has to be doing something all the time. She also can't see retiring and then looking for a part-time job. When she is off on the weekend she always goes window shopping even if she doesn't buy a thing. I tell her that she will retire when she gets sick of the people she encounters at work. She is 64 now, but has to work to 66 for full SS benefits

Old 08-06-2007, 04:14 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
I tell her that she will retire when she gets sick of the people she encounters at work.

Based on that, I should have retired in my 40s or so.
I seem to do "nothing" extremely well. Slow down. Walk to the library, don't drive. Walk with the dogs instead of putting them in the yard. Read more. Go to some meetings of interest groups that I'm too tired to attend with full-time night work. Look into the Unitarian church in the next town.
As a single person who never had kids in the local schools, I think it's hard to have a social life. Most people are in couples, it seems. No family relations. I worry about isolation, and realize that my job has become my community (if not a great big dysfunctional family) but not enough to keep working when I don't have to.
And there's always volunteer work, stuff I can't afford to do or don't have the energy for while working. I hope to teach English to refugees and immigrants through local organizations, or do literacy tutoring. The local excellent music school has many free concerts. Adult Ed in Cambridge has weekday morning classes, ideal for a retired person.
Oh, and yes, I could consider more exercise. (Could hardly consider less).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or