U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,637,346 times

Advertisements

I was in this discussion with my mom and bless her heart she is still working full time at the age of 68. She has always worked and come home sleep then back to work.

She lives alone in the same house she raised all 6 of us by herself she bought in 1968 and has no hobbies and doesnt have any good friends who are still living.

She knows she will need to retire soon and doesnt have much saved for it but the place she works at probably will be shutting their doors in 5 to 10 years.

Her house is dated to today standards small bedrooms, small bathrooms and the wiring been in that house since it was built in the early 60's and she could sale it but probably but for it to pass an inspection could be costly.

I do not know what to tell her to do and she doesnt know where to go and I feel for her because she sounded on the phone like she lonely.

How do people choose a location to retire single and have active lifestyle when only thing they ever known was to raise kids and work.

I hope this post wasnt too scattered lol but I do not know what to tell her of good options for her to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 11:13 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,534,792 times
I have a few years yet but I have always wanted to retire in the Caribbean.

I had planned on buying a place down there long before I retire and let it pay for itself by renting it out to people who are on vacation, you can rent them on a weekly basis and make some good money.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:58 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,252,021 times
It's all going to depend on what she likes. Taking some time to travel a bit might help her decide. She must be allowed some vacation time.

Some people just stay where they are at.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:18 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,904,692 times
Has she considered renting the property? Sometimes renting can provide a good income.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:40 AM

104 posts, read 642,292 times
Default Why Move?

Is there any reason your mother cannot stay right where she is? Obviously her mortgage is paid off by now; and all she would have is taxes and insurance...plus maintenance costs.

Moving somewhere else, unless she can pay cash for a home; will mean she has to start with another mortgage. Plus the cost of moving and getting set up in a new area....car registration, etc. And, she has friends where she is now; knows the area, etc. Starting in a new town means being much more alone that she is now.

And, if she enjoys working and the company will remain in place for 5-10 years, that doesn't sound so bad.

As far as where anyone should be....that depends on the place that is perfect for them.

Please let us know why she wants to move from where she is.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 24 days ago)

2,420 posts, read 4,319,868 times
Default choices...

Quote:
How do you know where to retire and be happy?
Where is the easy part... being happy is the choice you make.... but it is a good question.

Most of us fall in love with an area while visiting, vacationing, passing through these sort of activities. However, living there is very different. Happiness comes from commitment not the other way around. To often people refuse to adapt to a new lifestyle they knew was coming, battle tooth and nail to get their new world around them to change for them... ...well ... sorry doesn't work like that.

For my wife and I... it was mountain views, privacy, and our faith. Turns out the same things we have now are the same things we want then. Go figure!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,933,160 times
I am retired and I can certainly understand how your mother feels. After I took early retirement I realized all my friends were the people I worked with everyday. On the weekends they were busy with their own families. I did volunteer work for Meals on Wheels and another senior service.
Then I moved to a small town and knew no one but my daughter who moved here a couple of months before I did. There is a senior center here, but I found once again volunteering was the answer. I have friends here now and I have found a church that has a 55 plus group that travels places and takes day trips. If she likes animals the SPCA is usually looking for help. Volunteer at a nursing home or a hospital.
If you work everyday, when you get home you really don't feel like doing much but eating and going to sleep. There really isn't a lot of time to meet new friends.
I could have gone back to work but I love being retired. She will have plenty of things to do if she just looks around a bit.
I live OK on my retirement and SS from my late husband. It ain't the ritz but it is home

Old 08-02-2007, 06:24 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,995,880 times
I will retire next year and everybody that has already retired tells me that you will wonder at what point you found time to work, I'm looking forward to building a new home in a small country setting, my husband will work on his toys, "cars & bikes". I pan to spend a great deal of time landscaping my grounds - will have 5 acres to work with.

there is so many senior groups out there that she can join and then will be too busy for work

Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 AM

34,706 posts, read 33,724,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was in this discussion with my mom and bless her heart she is still working full time at the age of 68. She has always worked and come home sleep then back to work.

She lives alone in the same house she raised all 6 of us by herself she bought in 1968 and has no hobbies and doesnt have any good friends who are still living.

She knows she will need to retire soon and doesnt have much saved for it but the place she works at probably will be shutting their doors in 5 to 10 years.

Her house is dated to today standards small bedrooms, small bathrooms and the wiring been in that house since it was built in the early 60's and she could sale it but probably but for it to pass an inspection could be costly.

I do not know what to tell her to do and she doesnt know where to go and I feel for her because she sounded on the phone like she lonely.

How do people choose a location to retire single and have active lifestyle when only thing they ever known was to raise kids and work.

I hope this post wasnt too scattered lol but I do not know what to tell her of good options for her to consider.
What does she do now on her days off?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:01 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,353,710 times
My Mother had that same issue...she did have one hobby tho, her yard. So she took Master Gardener classes after she retired.

As to her house, she realized it was becoming more than she could handle. Yes, it was all paid for but like your mom's it was outdated and needed repair. Wouldn't have passed inspection either.

So she started sorting thru her stuff preparing to downsize herself. With my sister's help, she sold the house AS IS (it was bought for $35,000 in 1964 and she sold it for $109,000 in 1999). She went into a one bed/one bath apartment near my sister since I was still moving place to place. Her apartment was all on one floor, she did not have to worry over maintenance issues and being near my sister, she could still indulge her love of yard work.

She lived there three years.

Btw, my Mother retired at age 68 as well.

My question would be...is she close enough to any of the 6 of you to move near in a small condo/townhome to retain her independence but be close enough to be near if she needs help? And if the condo is in a senior community, it would be even better.

Also does she have anything she has done over the years as any hobby or put off doing because she has had to work and raise kids? My Mother always wanted to be a Master Gardener but could never find the time for the classes til after she retired. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or