Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 09:32 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,323,392 times

Advertisements

Actually, we have heard of some of these places, but this is still an interesting article highlighting some out-of-the-usual places:

great-places-to-retire-youve-never-heard-of: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

1. Calitri, Italy
2. Chiang Mai, Thailand
3. Coronado, Panama
4. Cuenca, Ecuador
5. Istria, Croatia
6. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
7. Punta del Este, Uruguay
8. Buenos Aires, Argentina

There was erroneous info on Kuala Lumpur given. The amount of money to desposit for the retirement program is NOT $150,000, but rather RM150,000, which is equivalent to ~US$45,000 now.

Any other opinions regarding these places. I have only been in Kuala Lumpur, and I like it other than for the face it is not close to the ocean, and traffic is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 10:10 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,458 times
Financially appealing I guess, but offers little appeal to me otherwise. Interesting though.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:11 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,990 times
Punta del Este is a beautiful place but besides the 2 months of the year when there is tourism in the summer the town is fairly dead. It's a shame as it's a beautiful city. But keep in mind although it's safe, there is lots of petty crime like home break ins. You see, many of the people that have homes there live in Argentina, Brazil or Chile and they are only there in the summer. And the thieves know that so they break in. We all have alarms on our homes but these thieves can break a window and get in and out and steal LCD TVs, etc.

I had my house broken into twice even though I live around the block from a police station. Had a few LCD TV's stolen.

Also, the biggest negative there is that it's expensive. A nice house is not cheap but the biggest complaint is the utility bills are sky high. If you have any type of yard or a pool, your water bill will be insane. I'm talking like $500 US a month. Sometimes in the summer my electricity bills would be $600. Internet is like $100 a month. DirecTV is high as well.

In the summer if you have a nice place close to the ocean, you can rent it out for lots of money. I used to rent my house out for $8,000 a week! People basically own homes and even use it those 2 months or they rent it out during high season and it covers all the expenses for the entire year.

Buenos Aires used to be a really affordable city after the financial devaluation but with 25% to 30% a year inflation..... it's not so cheap anymore. Grocery stores are about the same price as the USA now, restaurants are about the same price. Taxis are still cheaper but they have gone up tremendously. Still, it's a fun city to live in. If you already own a property here you can live VERY cheap because utilities are subsidized here by the government so you get these insanely low utility bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement