U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 AM

700 posts, read 2,945,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I have a friend who was terminated at age 59. He had enough money to retire early but had no plans. He was reasonably healthy for his age prior to losing his job. He bragged that he didn't have to go to work or even get out of bed if he didn't want to. For the following three years he did nothing but watch TV 24/7. He boasted he had seen every movie ever made at least twice. At the end of those three years he developed congestive heart failure and diabetes soon followed. He lost part of his foot due to diabetes complications. He is almost housebound now and has no energy for the simplest things. He depends on his children for most things. His TV is going stronger that ever.
If you want to meet your local undertaker a lot sooner just park your bottom in front of a TV.
Amen! As the old saying goes......."use it or lose it." Even if you're housebound for some reason and watching TV,you should move around every little while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 06:30 AM

34,713 posts, read 33,745,076 times
This thread started in 2007. By now, all of the shows she watched have probably been canceled.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:40 AM

29,838 posts, read 34,924,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Some times I wish they had never invented TV. I suspect that the boob tube has stopped people from communicating for 50 years. Without TV maybe more people would spend time talking.

My retired Mother in law is addicted to the TV set. She turns it on when she wakes in the morning and basically watches it until the evening news ends at 11:30 PM. She may talk a little but the TV is her main source of communication. Most of her comments are about something that is on the TV.

Do you know anyone else who has moved into retirement who just sit in front of the TV all day?
Does she live with you? Are you sure that is all she does? You are living your life are you really aware of what she is doing while you are working etc?

Old 09-25-2009, 11:55 AM

6,655 posts, read 18,709,981 times
Today a person sits for hrs in front of a TV.

Many many yrs ago a person would sit in a rocking chair on the front porch and watch the rain coming down and the smell of fresh air.

You could see the traffic slowly going by or nod hello to a walking neighbor.

Now...those were the good ole days I recall of my grandfather sitting and smoking his pipe in the rocker and today I'm 78 and wish I could do the same...(but not the smoking part)

Steve

Old 09-25-2009, 04:37 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,494,871 times
I think there are at least 50 or 60 million others.

If she had a better way to cope she probaly would, beats drinking.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,044 times
Default Too much TV

My husband's (married one year) job at a paper mill requires him to work only 14, 12 hr shifts a month. Every other moment is spent on the couch, his dog in his lap, watching TV for 12-14 hours EVERY day. He rarely says anything. I hate it and had no idea he was like this. He does make (literally) 20-25 trips a day, out the front door to smoke (with his dog, of course). I was gone to the MD yesterday. He didn't even so much as wash a dish. Thanks for the vent!

Old 01-25-2011, 04:11 AM

34,463 posts, read 41,580,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirl61 View Post
My husband's (married one year) job at a paper mill requires him to work only 14, 12 hr shifts a month. Every other moment is spent on the couch, his dog in his lap, watching TV for 12-14 hours EVERY day. He rarely says anything. I hate it and had no idea he was like this. He does make (literally) 20-25 trips a day, out the front door to smoke (with his dog, of course). I was gone to the MD yesterday. He didn't even so much as wash a dish. Thanks for the vent!
Sounds like you'll be moving on from this guy real soon,as he wont give you much of a life and he probably wont live long once he retires,thats if he makes it that long.Surprised he doesnt also drink lots of beer when lazing about.
Sounds to me he wasnt looking for a loving relationship or a charming lifemate to share lives together,he was just looking for a house slave or a replacement Mommy..Dump the bum!

Welcome to the forum gagirl61

Old 01-25-2011, 06:03 AM

12,806 posts, read 14,125,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirl61 View Post
My mother didn't do much better, and until my father died and she married another man her life was nothing but anger and depression. Move on if you can, he's a selfish SOB.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 AM

434 posts, read 993,290 times
Welcome, gagirl61. Living with someone who has the TV on all the time would drive me nuts. Forgive me if this question is too personal, but did you marry him without spending much time together so you didn't know about his TV habit? If not, if this TV-watching behavior is new, maybe it's a sign that he has health problems and needs a checkup or maybe you two could benefit from seeing a marriage counselor. I wish you luck.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,772,783 times
Can the mother-in-law's doctor become involved? Being completely sedentary like that is a major risk to one's health. No way to force the lady to change, however, despite the sad and destructive nature of her lifestyle. All you can do is suggest, recommend, and encourage. (Will she allow anyone to take her on outings?) Some people just refuse to change. I know a man who refused over a lifetime to get help for his drinking and just drank himself to death at age 61. His liver was completely fried, and I'm amazed he lived that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or