Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,797 times

Advertisements

Hi. My boyfriend and I are moving to Providence this summer, and we are looking at a few apartments in the Armory district (we are also looking at East Side apartments, but in general they are far too expensive for us). It is our understanding that the level of safety can vary significantly within just a few streets, but that the nice Armory areas are quite pleasant. Which streets are good places to live and which are more risky? We would appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,897 times
BTY the armory is not unsafe... I am single and lived there for several years with NO issues... :-) I can def help you

Old 07-20-2010, 08:55 AM

66 posts, read 220,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollymolly View Post
Hi. My boyfriend and I are moving to Providence this summer, and we are looking at a few apartments in the Armory district (we are also looking at East Side apartments, but in general they are far too expensive for us). It is our understanding that the level of safety can vary significantly within just a few streets, but that the nice Armory areas are quite pleasant. Which streets are good places to live and which are more risky? We would appreciate any advice.
If you look at a map of the area, the best "streetside views" are found on the streets directly bordering the large park in the middle. This is a general rule, of course, and I urge you to use good judgment however your statement about the varying levels of safety is pretty true.

So, on one side, that leaves you with Powhatan, Groton, Harrison, and Dexter between Westminster and Cranston. On the other, that would be Sycamore, Oak, Willow, Hudson, and Wood as well as Parade between Westminster and Wood.

Both sides of Westminster Street between Bridgham and Messer Streets are similar in feel.

If you are close enough to take a few drivebys, I would suggest visiting at a couple of different times of the day and walking the area around the park. Try a night during the farmer's market (and pick up some veggies while you're at it , a weekday, and a nice weekend day and see how it all feels.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:13 PM

605 posts, read 1,092,663 times
and carry a firearm.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
and carry a firearm.
A well-placed banana in a pocket will have the same effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island