Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:40 AM

5 posts, read 16,704 times

Advertisements

I may have an opportunity to relocate to the Providence area, but I don't know much about it. Is this a good city for single people in their 30s? Is the city safe? What's nightlife like? Are there many young professionals? Do many people live in the city iteself, or is it more of a work environment with people living in the suburbs?

Are there any nearby towns I might want to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 06:29 AM

Would love some thoughts/responses on this - thank you!!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:15 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCT3 View Post
I may have an opportunity to relocate to the Providence area, but I don't know much about it. Is this a good city for single people in their 30s? Is the city safe? What's nightlife like? Are there many young professionals? Do many people live in the city iteself, or is it more of a work environment with people living in the suburbs?

Are there any nearby towns I might want to consider?
Okay I'm bored and enjoy cutting and pasting.

Quote:
Is this a good city for single people in their 30s?
Pretty much, yeah, as good or better as any other smallish, cool American city that hasn't yet deteriorated into a post-apocalyptic homeless beggar curbside crack-smoke barbecue party. (Hey, I've been to downtown L.A., folks.)

Quote:
Is the city safe?
Pretty much like LA is safe, i.e. mostly safe although there is the very real albeit unlikely possibility of your sudden demise. Do you want to catch stray bullets hanging around in, or in front of, nightclubs at 1:00 am? How about that 24 year-old student they fished out of the Providence River (or whatever it's called), left a bar ****-drunk at midnight, got pulled out of the river two days later, all beat up and stuff.

Quote:
What's nightlife like?
Not sure but I know it exists, and a fair goodly amount of it. Plenty of nightclubs, stripclubs, bars, music venues, theatre, etc. Lot's of college students and youngish partiers. Brown University, PC, Bryant, Johnson & Wales, et. al.

Quote:
Do many people live in the city iteself, or is it more of a work environment with people living in the suburbs?
Both. People commute in, but many live in the city for sure. In terms of being a real "genuine" city rather than an empty shell kinda place, I would give Providence a B or B+ letter grade. Providence is not a major city. BTW, it's probably a great city to "start off" in if you wanna try the "city life" and/or are a young person.

Last edited by POhdNcrzy; 06-20-2010 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: 'Cuz mistakes blow.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:55 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times
Providence is much much safer than Los Angeles. Just use common sense as far as where you go. The bad areas are mostly isolated.

Last edited by Rnrboy; 06-20-2010 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-20-2010, 12:20 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Providence is much much safer than Los Angeles. Just use common sense as far as where you go. The bad areas are mostly isolated.
I really don't wanna get into this, but I dispute that statement. Providence may be more dangerous than LA. Statistically overall, they are both pretty safe.

However, I think safety would be one of the chief concerns about Providence.

There is a lot of poverty and crime there.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:36 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,277 times
Providence for its size is very decent. It has lot's and lot's of neighborhood bars and downtown nightclubs, including some right on the water, and also has some nice older crowd clubs outside of downtown. Definitely a lot of people live and work in the city, or live in the city and work in the suburbs or even in Boston, which is an hour by train. In the summer you can venture down Narragansett Bay to some amazing beaches and parks too.

As far as crime goes, I'd say it's on par with most cities its size. It has its rough neighborhoods but unless you're looking for trouble you'll generally be okay.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:24 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
If you're in CT why not drive here and look for yourself? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 PM

I'm planning to come and visit mysef! But sometimes it's hard to tell with just a drive through or walk around.. the locals are the ones to ask!

Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 AM

583 posts, read 1,324,472 times
Geez, you're from CT? practically a local anyway.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:16 AM

Ha thanks.. I've spent lots of time in Newport, Block Island, Watch Hill, Westerly etc, but know nothing about Providence! Love the beach areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island