U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM

102 posts, read 214,218 times

Advertisements

Some R.I. companies including FM Global Insurance, and Fidelity Investments in Johnston have been hiring quality people all thru the recession. Boulevard sounds like a bright enough guy to know that there are always jobs which open up in good growth companies for candidates offering outstanding potential.

Spring actually saw a healthy change in the R.I. employment scene characterized by an increased turnover of already gainfully employed people who were switching jobs. They seized opportunities to move out of jobs in a painful market, and into jobs more suitable to them. They found jobs in this terrible market!

The question is, what's wrong with Rhode Island?

The answer includes that we have high unemployment. We have too many entitlements. We have a state legislature that is doing little to control spending. So does New Jersey. So does California. So does Michigan. So what?
So what is next? There will be better days soon! Prepare for those days now. Don't sit back for three years when there may be more jobs, but there will also be more talent out there contending for them. When the companies start hiring you want to be in their thoughts at the onset!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 05:52 AM

4,037 posts, read 5,444,887 times
Hoxsie, your optimism is appreciated but I fear a little unjustified. I've been here a number of decades and would have to say that the most actual change I've seen in the state was centered in Providence when Cianci was mayor.

The candidates for governor so far don't look so promising to me. Caprio's website only mentions boosting small businesses, part of the problem sure, but will he really do anything about the state's other major issues? Is he too much a part of the current machine? Where's the rest of his platform?

Chaffee's website has more ideas, and some progressive ideas. But I don't see enough substantive reform there to generate an overhaul of spending without the simple fix of simply imposing another tax!

Getting back to the OP- though I do think politics are going to be critical in terms of jobs here- he might find a job with his NYC background- esp. in something like advertising- since that would probably impress the locals.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:26 AM

66 posts, read 128,278 times
I also just read a very poorly-worded story in the ProJo this morning regarding a proposed real estate property tax increase and a removal of the exemption for absentee landlords.

The reason I say it was poorly-worded was because I couldn't really figured out where the City Council was in this process and I couldn't decide how I felt about the term "absentee landlord". I mean there is a negative connotation there, but are property management companies considered to be this? I mean there is a big difference between the converted, managed XYZ Mansion Apartments on Benefit Street and the decaying 4-family across the street from me.

I don't know, I was more stuck on the issue of decreasing property values in the city by an average of 30% and then raising taxes by 25% AND removing the $6k valuation exemption on motor vehicles. Owning a home in this city is rapidly become a very scary thing to be doing.

I'd think very carefully about coming here - and if I did, I'd rent. And ask lots of questions about job security.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,036 times
I'm a n00b here, but not elsewhere. Some of you may recuhnize me from around the inter-webs. So...

I hope you see, bouelvardian, that one thing that's wrong with RI is that people LURVE to tell you what's wrong with RI, as above. And, in all fairness, there is much truth in what they say. But is it really all that different from elsewhere? NIMO.

Corruption in Chicago? Payoffs in Queens? Couldn't happen...

Like everywhere, Providence is not one thing, but lots of different things at the same time. What are you looking for? You may or may not find it.

Somebody said "if you're a certain type, you'll like it a lot". And that really is so. There's a part of PVD that thinks it's awesome and that everybody like us should move here. (Descend upon me, ye hating hoards!)

If you're young, young-ish or young at heart, creative, educated, entrepreneurial, socially motivated, plugged into your local civic network, like to ride a bicycle, file several 1099s each year, etc., there's a contingent here.

A few things not mentioned and / or another perspective, etc. The Democratic Party machine was very much a true statement six months ago, but it is unraveling as we speak. The key political drivers were Patrick Kennedy's retirement and the FBI investigation of nearby Central Falls. (Which, frankly, is just the kind of bold-a$$ corruption described above.)

That open seat created a political free-for-all, and the kind of incumbent fear you've seen across the country is going a little nuts inside the Democratic party.

The longtime, political-family type chairman of the RI Dems committed what I call "retirement / seppuku" in running for the Kennedy seat. He's been replaced by a 20-something up-and-coming progressive. Symbolic, no?

His attorney-general brother, who is BFFs with the soon to be arrested mayor of CF, is famously failing to take the Dem's endorsement for Gov.

(Caprio is of the machine and it would suck if he wins, IMO. Linc may be a little odd, but he's consistently surprised me by doing the right thing.)

In short: the Machine is breaking apart as we speak.

=======

Economy: I actually work in this space, not as a decision-maker, so take it FWIW. I've been self-employed for about a decade, so I have a different perspective on "work" than others might. As with corruption, is there any job anywhere that doesn't depend on a network of connections? I realize there is plenty of patronage, but we're not special in that regard.

If RI has a problem, it's that educational attainment, while "ok" by a stats POV, is so poorly distributed as to create two separate economies. There are jobs being created right now in certain fields. If you're a programmer, especially open source, especially RUBY or PHP or (what's that other one...?) there are openings. The RI Nexus jobs board has a lot of jobs, full time and otherwise.

As to the brain drain of Boston, there's some. But not everybody thinks Boston is that hot of a town. (The anecdote about where Boston's head is is that nobody in that town would give Facebook a look. Nobody.) A good portion of the PVD scene generally faces the other way. That is, we're looking at you, kid. Xmas eve finds us at 113 and B'way with the Columbia Univ wing of my wife's family. (212 and 718 ex-pats are a dime a dozen.)

But those jobs are going to people moving from elsewhere. Our chronically unemployed lack skills, even the most basic math and language. (Real sign in real company: Put Invoices in Draw. That's how they say drawer.) It's primarily white poverty, former mill-working families with few options. These folks seem to be leaving the state at fairly high numbers, following the low skill jobs south and west.

Rotation is my watchword, then. Out with the old, in with the new.

I like it.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,806,231 times
Interesting thread. I strolled over here because I needed a diversion from the NYC forum and it's the same conversation over here! I grew up in Queens, NY and moved to Providence back in the 80s. I lived in the East Side on Sessions Street, next door to Brown Stadium. I loved my neighborhood. It was city but suburban, close enough to Brown for fun but far enough away to be surrounded by people of all ages. It was also not too far from a tiny African American neighborhood, which made me less isolated. I worked in Cranston, East Greenwich and Warwick (Hoxsie), and my coworkers were warm and friendly and some of the most caring people I have ever met. They treated this stranger from the "big city" like family and it was good because I was young and alone. I eventually returned to New York for better dating opportunities. Anyway, to make a long story short, I have considered moving back to RI for the same reasons expressed by the OP. I live in Queens again, and it's getting harder to survive here as a middle class person. I thought that Providence might be the answer but I visited last summer and found that it's nothing like the RI I remember. Downtown is built up and flashy, and all of the manufacturing companies are gone. The people I knew have been in and out of work for years and prices are high. I think I paid under $400 for my large studio (1 large room, huge kitchen and large bathroom). What does a 1BR in my old Providence neighborhood go for now? Does RI still impose a car tax?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 PM

688 posts, read 1,329,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
What does a 1BR in my old Providence neighborhood go for now? Does RI still impose a car tax?
Hard to say. $650 probably. And hell yes, the excise tax for cars is alive and kicking.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:08 PM

567 posts, read 525,586 times
Yes, Interesting... I have friends from New York tired of congestion, high rents and high taxes strolling over to the RI neighborhoods looking for relief.
RI is ok to rent, maybe use the transit system, (i.e. bus), and purchase a bicycle, but don't buy real-estate, you then are considered wealthy, and subject to those high RI property taxes.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 8,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I do love Boston, but I'm worried about the greater expense and the winters. I have major weather issues -- the reason I'm so focused on Rhode Island right now is that I've always loved New England and when I found out it had the most moderate weather in New England, well, sold.
I'm really not following what you see as so different between the weather in Boston and the weather in Rhode Island? Winters are not mild in Rhode Island. We regularly get a week or two where the temps dip to the teens, often with accompanying windchill. Low 20sF is typical. Any mild weather here would be felt in the Boston area, too.

If you live closer to the Ocean, say South County, they may get a bit less snow and maybe the temps are different by a few degrees. But the overall difference between Boston and Rhode Island weather is not noticeable.

As far the employment picture: keep in mind that what you were paid in NYC for your management position is most likely nowhere near what you'll be offered for a similar position in Rhode Island. Even before this latest economic freefall, wages and salaries in Rhode Island were well below what you could command in Boston for the exact same position.

So just because you were able to afford a certain home in NYC doesn't mean you'll be making the same income that allows you to buy the homes you reference in your post.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:53 PM

542 posts, read 648,393 times
I don't know, in May or June when its 63 in Boston, and 71 in Providence on some days, that makes a significant difference to me.

The rate of poverty for Whites in RI is under 10%, low 20's for African-Americans and nearly 30% for Hispanics. Poverty and lack of education breeds all sorts of problems and corruption, and leaves its legacy for future generations. Only 17 or 18% of people 25+ in this state get a Bachelors Degree, but it's not too different stats anywhere else in this country.

I hate to say it but everywhere Italians go in this country is corruption. Now I'm a small bit of Italian and embrace that heritage dearly in terms of food and antiquities, but....... Midwestern states with midwestern Protestant values and ethics have historically made better management decisions and are better off for it. This has nothing to do with race, or color, but with culture.

RI seems to have a lot of conservative Catholics who vote democrat, seems conflicted. If I get hit on, it's usually by some Catholic Italian guy, ok they are known to be more passionate, but hey you are Catholic too, aren't you supposed to behave more- I was not raised religious so this is interesting and somewhat confusing to me.

What I learned in school was, which no one ever seems to mention is, Providence competes for job creation with it's neighbors regionally, and we all increasing compete with larger Metros like Boston, ultimately because of infrastructure and globalization, and other things. RI's small size is an asset, but without progressive solutions, nothing will make us stand out from anyone else.

Last edited by Saltatrix; 08-04-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 AM

14,572 posts, read 12,503,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Problem is taxing groceries is punitive for poor people and I doubt that it will stop your property taxes from continuing to rise. Would that it were true!!! I sure do hope you're right RNRBOY!!!!
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. Sounds like RNRBOY is engaging in some delusional thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island