U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM

3,173 posts, read 3,365,196 times
Default Bridges in Rhode Island

I'm sure this is going to sound like a ridiculous question but...I have a fear of driving over bridges. Would I be able to navigate around RI without going over any really long bridges? Which bridges take you where?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:35 PM

3,877 posts, read 4,984,163 times
Sure, just stay in the west bay- but you'd miss a lot of spectacular scenery.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:59 PM

7,188 posts, read 7,502,229 times
I'd say confront your fears and just drive over the Newport Pell Bridge and then realize you made it and that it wasn't that bad after all. Your reward will be arriving in scenic Newport, the gem of Rhode Island.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 AM

3,877 posts, read 4,984,163 times
Here's a link to the Mt Hope bridge which connects Bristol and Portsmouth.
It's a beautiful view linking 3-4 communities.

Panoramio - Photo of mount hope

Perhaps if you thought of the idea that bridges are not just suspended in the air but are actually anchored firmly to the ground several hundred feet under water on enormous concrete structures. As you drive over think "I am firmly on the ground".

Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 AM

2,043 posts, read 2,200,416 times
Speaking of the local bridges, how well are they kept clean during winter?

Old 08-27-2010, 09:53 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,353,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Speaking of the local bridges, how well are they kept clean during winter?
The weather report usually indicates the degree of danger of travel over the bridges during, or after a snow storm. They freeze first.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 AM

102 posts, read 200,867 times
Our bridges are plowed and salted as well as possible at the time of freezing or snowfalls. Drivers have to realize that because the bridge roadbed is suspended and exposed to cold air penetrating it from above and below, the surface will freeze over more rapidly than roads over land.

I knew a fellow who was so afraid that he might go over the edge of a bridge or the bridge might collapse as he passed over it, that he kept a steel "ripping" bar under his seat to smash the window out so he might escape. Poor fellow is gone now -- but not a result of a bridge accident. Hahaha.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM

2,043 posts, read 2,200,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxsie454 View Post

I knew a fellow who was so afraid that he might go over the edge of a bridge or the bridge might collapse as he passed over it, that he kept a steel "ripping" bar under his seat to smash the window out so he might escape.
Was just telling my husband we needed one of those, along with those new utility things with a pin hammer on one side to break window and cutter to cut seatbelt- with my toddler son, I fear the same thing as they guy you posted about. I didn't grow up with a bridges over water so it is going to take some time to get used to

Old 08-29-2010, 06:06 PM

842 posts, read 1,184,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Was just telling my husband we needed one of those, along with those new utility things with a pin hammer on one side to break window and cutter to cut seatbelt- with my toddler son, I fear the same thing as they guy you posted about. I didn't grow up with a bridges over water so it is going to take some time to get used to
They will close the bridges, at least the Mt. Hope, Jamestown and Newport bridges, in icy weather. The Braga Bridge in Mass. will also be closed. None have ever fallen or had cars fall off of them. They close these bridges more often in windy weather. These bridges are not great places for high profile vehicles in winds of 45 knots or more.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,365,196 times
thanks, I realize it is an unfounded fear, but most "phobias" are, it's a fear of heights. Guess I better get out and practice on the Coronado Bay Bridge here...don't want to miss Newport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island