Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:30 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times

Advertisements

GOP hopeful says he was offered "anything'' to leave race - Projo Politics Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,164 times
The conservative voters are usually a bit more educated than the liberal voters. The latest commercial against Chafee may be extremely effective; blatantly indicating Chafee's support for a higher gasoline tax, a tax on groceries, a tax on clothing, and a tax on prescription drugs. Of course, Chafee wants more taxes so he can help defend and support the funding for the big pensions of the state workers. Robitaille is a republican anyway, he would be likely to grab more conservative voters than Chafee. I really hope Chafee loses. This guy is so horrible; he continues to ride on his dead fathers coattails, we need to get rid of this guy.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:10 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
quote: "The conservative voters are usually a bit more educated than the liberal voters."

Not on this planet.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:20 AM

Well the poster also thinks we are "over-protective" of women when they are raped, so what did you expect Holly? haha

Old 09-11-2010, 08:58 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times
Thanks for the link, RB. It's important to see how cynical these politicians are.

I'm inclined to vote for Chafee for the following reasons in order of importance:

1. He is third party. I will never cast a vote for either a Rep or a Dem so long as I live.

2. He is the only candidate to come out swinging loudly against the Curt Schilling/38 Studios boondoggle. That boondoggle is the most outrageously dumb, bad idea I've ever seen in my life. $75,000,000 handed to a new, unproven company promising to generate at least 275 jobs in RI? If they're going to be that stupid, why not just divide up the $75 million and give it to 275 Rhode Islander citizens picked at random? Surely this would be administratively easier and just as non-effective at stimulating the RI economy. More importantly, just think how happy those 275 RI'ers would be.

3. Putting a 1% sales tax on groceries, gas and clothing won't effect my lifestyle one iota. I agree that RI public pensions and salaries need to be reduced, especially for those earning the most. I haven't heard where Chafee is against that concept. Let's be frank, his proposal is a reasonable and painless partial-solution to a serious budget problem we have in RI. As Chafee himself points out, at least he's got some kind of proposal, as opposed to the silence of the other candidates on this crucial issue. A silence very much worthy of condemnation if you ask me.

One thing that's very important to me, back in 2003 when Chafee was a Republican, did he vote yes on the authorization to invade Iraq? Please people, does anyone know the correct answer? If so, well he sure won't be getting my vote after all. If anyone can tell me how what we are doing and have done in Iraq is any different whatsoever than what Nazi Germany did to Poland, somebody please say so (and then prepare for my rebuttal argument).

Old 09-11-2010, 09:06 AM

120 posts, read 235,102 times
He voted no on the Iraq war. Pretty sure was the only republican senator to do so

Old 09-11-2010, 01:37 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
quote: "The conservative voters are usually a bit more educated than the liberal voters."

Not on this planet.
I think it is the conservatives who identify with the importance of having e-verify with employers in the state, more so, than with liberals. Our state has very high unemployment, and many people don't seem to make the connection. Also, I think conservatives more so, understand the need to have pension reform for state workers, understanding that our state cannot continue to fund such generous retirement plans. If I hear someone bad-mouth Carcieri (who is considered conservative), its usually a liberal, and I think he has done the best he could possibly do under the circumstances he is faced with.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:39 AM

I agree with the first two points you made and I'm an educated person who leans left. I think there is a risk of over generalizing in this especially since there is so much blurring of "party lines" anyway.

RNRBoy, I keep trying to give you rep pts and the system won't let me, even though I've given other people many pts in the interim....

Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Same thing happens to me with you Holly haha

Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 AM

Chafee's record on tax increases does disturb me- I know this is politically motivated but it does include his voting record from when he was Mayor of Warwick:

Chafee’s ‘New Way Forward’ Will Send Rhode Island Backwards « THE OCEAN STATE REPUBLICAN | The Blog of the Rhode Island Republican Assembly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island