U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 PM

60 posts, read 100,527 times
Default RI vs Mass Middle & High Schools - RI any easier?

My kids are bright, caring kids, but they're getting buried with work and demands in our suburban school district in Western Mass.

They are in 5th and 6th grades, and teachers and schools are under heavy pressure to improve their statewide MCAS test scores. It's really a shame. Learning is rushed, not inspired. Growing up in NY, we had Regents exams, but this is ridiculous.

As we consider a move to R.I. (job transfer), I'm wondering if there are difficult state tests at the various grade levels in your state. I want my kids to learn and enjoy school, not dread it. Testing isn't learning, though I know we need measurement.

It may seem strange to seek out an "easier" education, but some parents will understand exactly what I mean.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 05:42 PM

215 posts, read 142,538 times
RI may be the same way or worse. The schools in RI are focused on the NECAP test reults and most schools are underperforming. The public school system here needs a major overhaul!
Presently, besides private schools, the only districts performing well are Barrington and East Greenwich. And by this, I mean the elementary, middle and high schools. Some districts have great elementary schools but terrible high schools, academically.
My daughter is currently in the public school system, and I am looking for a good private school for her. After much research, I have decided that private schools in RI is the way to go.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island