U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 PM

5,348 posts, read 9,126,719 times
Fall River is not a perfect fit for everyone, no.

However, I don't understand why it's looked by some as as if it's some sort of desolate remote island. I always get a kick out of people who say, "Fall River has no nightlife," or, "there's not shopping in Fall River" etc. I'll be the first to admit that Fall River doesn't exactly have the best nightlife for a city of 90,000 people (though Nightlife is not NEARLY as bad as some like to claim, there are some great spots), but it's not exactly a typical city of 90,000 people either. Fall River is a city of 90,000 that is part of a larger metro area (Providence, 15-20 minutes away) and on the fringe of an even larger one (Boston). It's 30 minutes to Newport Rhode Island and even New Bedford has something going on (in terms of nightlife) down the road. There is PLENTY around Fall River.

To the OP: If you have an aversion to driving 15 minutes or so for a good mall (there are about 4 large indoor malls within this distance), then Fall River isn't for you (grocery stores are closer than that). If you don't plan on ever venturing more than a mile or so from your front door, you MAY find Fall River boring. However, if you want value and you don't mind having to drive 15 minutes for shopping or nightlife, you can do VERY well in Fall River.

My advice would be to view Fall River as somewhat of an urban suburb rather than an independent city of 90,000. To take it further, it's an urban suburb that has some very attractive areas (and yes, plenty to avoid too) that can be had at very reasonable prices. If you take this approach, I think you'd find Fall River to be just fine.

As far as the "tough nut to crack" thing goes... well, welcome to New England. It's hardly just the Portuguese. Sure, they can be close-knit but if you're personable, you'll find that most people are personable in response. I haven't met anyone on these forums in person; but in real life, most of the people I hear complaining about "rude New Englanders" aren't pictures of friendliness themselves.

Good luck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 08:02 AM

2,125 posts, read 2,914,741 times
Sorry to everyone that I started such a debate over Fall River. My reason for recommending that the OP take Fall River off her list and concentrate on areas closer to Newport was that her job is in Newport and traffic in the summer can be a nightmare.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:16 AM

5,348 posts, read 9,126,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Sorry to everyone that I started such a debate over Fall River. My reason for recommending that the OP take Fall River off her list and concentrate on areas closer to Newport was that her job is in Newport and traffic in the summer can be a nightmare.
No need to apologize, that's a legitimate gripe. Considering the condition of the Sakonnet River Bridge and typical beach/tourist traffic, it may be a pain commuting.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:51 PM

15 posts, read 17,436 times
All of your points are valid and I have taken them into consideration. As I was milling around Middletown and Newport I asked then locals what they thought of fall river and they all said avoid it. So I did. I totally lucked out and found a great apartment in the center of Middletown and Newport. I do plan on venturing out once I settled in but so far I am scoping out the necessities. Everything I need is here except target...so sad. But I will travel to reunite with my beloved bullseye. Other than that thus far everyone seems to be very friendly....I just wonder where the younger people are?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,275,032 times
Glad you were able to find a place But really FR isn't bad at all
Welcome to RI- if you ever see a vehicle down your way with military sticker on the windshield and South Dakota plates, wave, it will be me

Old 10-20-2010, 09:08 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,914,741 times
Glad you found a place so quickly. I'm no expert on the younger hangout places in Newport, but one of our friends who is in her early 30's liked Pour Judgement.

Target isn't too far it's in Dartmouth, MA. Take rt. 24 to I95 East to exit 11 Reed Rd, head South to hwy 6 and head East for a couple miles. Target will be on the right side, a little further up the road is a large BJ's and some other shopping. Maybe 30-35 minutes to get there.

Clement's Market in Portsmouth isn't Whole Foods, but it's got a pretty good selection Welcome To Clements' Marketplace

Hope you enjoy the area and your new job.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 AM

542 posts, read 619,927 times
There's also a Target in Warwick on Route 2, the state's big shopping area. There are plenty of social things to do on meetup.com-- Newport Friends group, or the Providence Newcomers, to name a few. Being a small state most people venture all over it for things to do, although there are some that never get off the island.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:01 PM

885 posts, read 560,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
Hah! But yes, Rnrboy is probably right. You could do worse than picking Warwick.
I've lived in Warwick 16 out of 40 years and San Diego for another 16 years. I prefer Warwick. I think it's a great place to live. I left San Diego to come back here.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:37 PM

15 posts, read 17,436 times
I just went to Warwick today. Unfortunately I didn't see it all but I liked what I did see.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 PM

885 posts, read 560,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashinod View Post
I just went to Warwick today. Unfortunately I didn't see it all but I liked what I did see.
If you can get away from the strip mall area to some of the cute neighborhood by the water, like Pawtuxet, Apponaug, Tidewater, Warwick Neck it's got some really cute areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island