Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:49 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times

Advertisements

From Cumberland or Lincoln is a straight shot down Rt. 146S into Providence or Cranston, only 9 miles or so. Also you will have Rt. 295 which is marked N & S but will take you east or west. (that confuses a lot of folks, you have to see it on the map). Much less traffic into Providence or Cranston coming from northern RI than from southern RI and easier to get to Boston and other MA amenities from northern RI. Taxes are lower, communities are well kept and a great place to raise children and get involved. The bedroom communities of RI have always been, East Greenwich, Cumberland, Lincoln, North Smithfield, and Barrington. You can check the RI MLS (I know you have an agent, but you can look up listings to get a feel for style, taxes, etc.) on www.riliving.com and you can read the Providence Journal online as well, at www.projo.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGator View Post
I'm just down the road from you in St. Augustine.
Good info here.
Not ever living north of Memphis, TN all this stuff about pellet stoves and heating oil is making me wonder just what the heck am I getting ready to get into.
Keep in mind that there are a decent amount of places up here now that have central air powered by gas. If you can get one of those you won't have to worry about heating oil or pellet stoves, and your costs will be far far less.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 PM

212 posts, read 415,110 times
Flying up to Cranston on Tuesday for a mid-afternoon face-to-face interview. After that I'll be literally sitting in a hotel room waiting to fly out Wednesday morning. Couldn't get a flight out after my interview is over. Would be a great opportunity to get to SEE the area if only for a few hours. But, not gonna happen this trip. Heck just seeing SNOW for the first time in 21 years is gonna be different as it is. My Son is MAD at me - he's never been in snow before! And my daughter was about 6 weeks old the last time it snowed down here.

All the areas everyone has been describing sound like it will all be worth it once we get up there - IF things work out. I'm just trying to soak everything in and it's taking some time to get it all straight so that we can decide what to do when the time comes.
This is all like when I used to transfer from one base to another every 3 years before I retired. Lots of preplanning in the hopes of getting things somewhat figured out ahead of time.

I DON'T like the fact of my retirement pay getting hit with taxes. Luckily my VA Disability Check isn't taxed. But, I'm a realist and know that all the state governments have to do what they have to do to get revenue to run things. Just have gotten used to no state income tax down here is all.

Thanks.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM

5,205 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Good luck on the interview and dress warm, my family is telling me that they are in single digits until Tuesday and quite possibly snow on your arrival day. You will get a good little taste of winter. Remember real Rhode Islanders know they are flying into Warwick, not Providence.

Good Luck

Old 01-23-2011, 06:36 PM

212 posts, read 415,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Good luck on the interview and dress warm, my family is telling me that they are in single digits until Tuesday and quite possibly snow on your arrival day. You will get a good little taste of winter. Remember real Rhode Islanders know they are flying into Warwick, not Providence.

Good Luck
Thanks!
I've got my so-called warm clothes for down here. Should get me thru my time up there.
Yeah I noticed that when I scheduled the flight.
Thanks!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:38 AM

I'm curious how you made out. You flew into single digit lows and you hopefully made it out before the storm started. What did you think of the little bit if RI you saw?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:40 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Maybe the weather scared him off haha. I've been living here over 7 years now and it's never been close to this bad!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 AM

The storm after Christmas was enough for me!!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:05 AM

121 posts, read 271,036 times
Default CT or RI

I would prefer ct, yes the taxes are high,but then again I am not sure they are indeed higher than RI. Putnam, Brooklyn, Thompson, and plainfield are nice areas of CT with at least access to highways. These ares you willfind rural homes. Check out zillow, they often show property taxes on homes for sale and allow you tolook back4 years on property tax info. That way you can see if there where any large increases. RI is very congested, I would definitely chooseCT overall. Goodluck!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:43 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Apparently you have never seen Foster, Glocester, Exeter, Hopkinton, etc.
To say they are congested is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island