Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 PM

23,399 posts, read 18,569,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGator View Post
Looking for suggestions on what to do for my first weekend here in Rhode Island?
Sorry, but strip clubs, etc are NOT what I am looking to become involved with AT ALL.

Family back in Florida g until the job I started Monday goes permanent - hopefully end of May. Then we'll move up here prior to school starting next school year.
But for the time being I am SERIOUSLY bored.
Work, Hotel, College work, Sleep, then reboot has been my routine this week.
Too cold to go out and rent a Harley Davidson and go out riding just yet.

BTW, this is not the first time we've been separated like this. The last time was just over a year ago and I had spent 2+ years deployed overseas with the Navy. Then I retired and expected that all the traveling was over and done with. However....!!!!!
Tell us more about your likes and hobbies and we'll maybe be able to point you. And your right the Harley riding looks like a few weeks away at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 08:16 PM

583 posts, read 1,323,241 times
Are you familiar with meetup.com? there are plenty of things to do and meet people. No need to go to Boston, Newport's parade get's crazy enough for Saint Patrick's day.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:48 PM

564 posts, read 1,876,218 times
I've totally missed this. Congratulations! And welcome to our state and company!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:42 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,050,733 times
If you like a beer once and a while or like to watch sports with others, try Dave's Bar and Grill on the Post Road, near the airport in Warwick. Like Irish company? try Shannon View a half mile down the Post Road. Chelo's is between the both and is cheap eats and good food. I am sure where you are staying they can give directions. Taking that ride up north? Lots of biker rides in NW Rhode Island. Glad to see you made it here and have one drive in the snow under your belt.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 PM

212 posts, read 414,772 times
This week has been amazing.
Good people to work with.
Great weather so far, except for Sunday (snow) and Tuesday (sleet), but otherwise it's been good.

Still gotta get the job to become permanent before I bring the bike up. Should be sometime late May.

Spent from 5 to 10 this afternoon/evening at Pot Bellie's in downtown Providence, right across the street from the Citizens Bank building. We had a meeting there at the bank from 3 to 5 then walked across the street to the pub. Had a good time.

Might hit the locations on Post Road sometime this weekend. Gotta just get out out and go do some exploring. Like what I'm seeing so far up here. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,993,725 times
Hey TiGator,

As a fellow Floridian transplant it's great to see another guy who seems to love Rhode Island as much as I do. Now just wait til the weather gets really nice! April and May are two of my favorite months here.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:47 PM

Had an interesting day, with more to come tomorrow:
Hit 'Ocean State Harley Davidson' around Noon, then headed out to the Navy War College just to see where it was and to go to the Navy Exchange. Did some sight seeing along the way there and back. Almost stopped by Jamestown, but will do that when my Wife and Son come up for a visit later this month.
Tomorrow may venture out to Mass, or go up to Providence to see more of the downtown area. Got a good view of downtown from the 14th story of the Citizens Bank building yesterday afternoon.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Hey TiGator,

As a fellow Floridian transplant it's great to see another guy who seems to love Rhode Island as much as I do. Now just wait til the weather gets really nice! April and May are two of my favorite months here.
Today the Harley dealer told me it's about another 3 weeks then bike season gets in full swing. May get my bike up here sooner than later just to be able to hit the road next month. Too bad Bike Week is going on in Daytona this weekend! Oh well.

Looking forward to the Spring. Have never experienced a New England Spring before.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:55 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,439,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGator View Post
Had an interesting day, with more to come tomorrow:
Hit 'Ocean State Harley Davidson' around Noon, then headed out to the Navy War College just to see where it was and to go to the Navy Exchange. Did some sight seeing along the way there and back. Almost stopped by Jamestown, but will do that when my Wife and Son come up for a visit later this month.
Tomorrow may venture out to Mass, or go up to Providence to see more of the downtown area. Got a good view of downtown from the 14th story of the Citizens Bank building yesterday afternoon.
Yes you MUST do that. The views from Jamestown of Newport and the bridge are stunning. Then if you drive through town along the water and up the hill on Walcott Ave (still heading straight) you will come to a fork in the road. Bear left at the fork head down the hill and on your right is Ft. Wetherill. Go in and head up the hill to the top of the cliffs. Park your car and get out and walk around for some AMAZING VIEWS of the ocean; entrance to Narragansett Bay; Newport Mansions just across the harbor entrance (on the left or east side) and Beavertail Lighthouse on the right at the southern most tip of Conanicut Island (where Jamestown is).

You can drive out to Beavertail too. That is another park and very exciting when the wind is from the south. You can also climb the lighthouse on certain days.

This is the best thing I could find to show you the views from Ft. Wetherill but this doesn't do it justice as you'll see when you get there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU5PyyKPC1w&feature=fvsr

Last edited by emilybh; 03-08-2011 at 08:10 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 05:53 PM

Unhappy Time's Up

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help, encouragement, mentor-ship, and ribbing you have me over the past few months. Seems that the bank I stated working for on February 28th has decided my personality and management style don't fit their model, so as of this afternoon I am not longer with a job up here. So, after almost $3000 of out of pocket expenses to get up here, settle in, and live I am now forced to head back to Florida tomorrow. I REALLY was starting to enjoy myself here and the area, but now that's all going to just be a memory after tomorrow.

All of my concerns and fears were put to rest as soon as I got here. AND the hospitality and friendliness of everyone I encountered here completely shattered all of the New Englander attitudes I had heard about and read about over the years.

I only wish I had been here long enough to get up to Boston, or ride through the back roads on my Motorcycle, or get out to southern RI or to Cape Cod this Spring / Summer. Maybe one day, but not today.

Again, thanks for everything. And if you're ever down in Florida drop me a line and maybe I can return the favor. Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island