Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM

34 posts, read 71,743 times

Advertisements

Any ideas for a "convenient" place for us to live with my husband having to commute up to the Boston area and me commuting to Colchester. I realize that we will both have a least an hour commute, but that's just what we are going to have to do... The train to boston for him (Ruggles station) says it will take about an hour from the providence station, which is not too bad - since he can read and whatnot on the train.

Any suggestions for a place to live (we are a couple in our 30's, no kids yet) that is close to one of the train stations for him but wouldn't put me past about 1 hour 15 from my work in Colchester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 AM

986 posts, read 2,330,677 times
Ugh, that's one hell of a commute. Not one I'd want to do, but Providence or Worcester would be my choice. You'd have about an hour drive and he'd have about an hour on the train, though the train from Worcester doesn't go to Ruggles.

Providence is probably the nicer of the cities and stopping at Ruggles makes it a good choice The drive from Worcester to Colchester is a bit more direct, making for an easier commute for you, but the train doesn't stop at Ruggles and it looks like it's about 1.5 hours from Worcester to Boston by rail.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Thanks Jim, yeah, it's not ideal by any means but it's what we have to deal with. Any thoughts on areas of Providence to focus our search? Would be nice if it were near one of the train stations...

Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msshell View Post
Thanks Jim, yeah, it's not ideal by any means but it's what we have to deal with. Any thoughts on areas of Providence to focus our search? Would be nice if it were near one of the train stations...
The train station in Providence is downtown. Most of the city is pretty well-connected to the train station by buses. There's a train station in Warwick by the airport. The only other close one is in South Attleboro, but might put you a bit too far from Colchester (it'd add 15 min to your commute).

Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 AM

9,265 posts, read 14,849,760 times
Renting or buying? What kind of place do you want? Budget?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:39 AM

We'll be renting to start - and would like to spend in the neighborhood of $1500/month give or take. Ideally, we'd like something with a small yard or patio (we have dogs) 2-3 bedrooms and 1.5 baths... obviously a safe area and somewhere where it's not too far of a walk or drive to restaurants, shopping, etc...

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM

Your best bet would be downtown Providence, but dogs and yard rule that out. Maybe try North Attleboro, Ma area. Any other suburban vicinity would do, but you'd have to drive and park to the train station, thus adding to your time.

Really, if I were in this unenviable situation facing this particular dual commute, I'd ditch the dogs and live downtown.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 PM

lol - i guess you're not a dog owner/lover?

the yard is negotiable - it would just be ideal. downtown seems like a good option and we will probably head out there this weekend to scope it out.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:17 PM

Everyone suggests downtown to people who need the train. While it's easier to get to the train station, downtown is quite expensive for what you get.

I'd suggest the Elmhurst neighborhood of Providence. It's got everything you want, and your husband can take the bus downtown (goes right to the train station, no more than 15 min ride, or he can drive to the train station in South Attleboro, 15 min drive). Most of the houses here have yards, porches, driveways, etc. There are parks and restaurants and shops nearby (including a great bakery). You're a short drive/bus ride from downtown and Federal Hill (Little Italy on steroids... best Indian, Jamaican, Chinese restaurants are up there too, along with some more local/creative stuff).

North Attleboro would be way too far for the commute to Colchester, probably closer to 1.5 hours of driving, plus you'd be driving through Providence instead of just out of Providence, which can add to your driving time if there's traffic.

Warwick is an option. It's suburban and there's plenty of parking at the train station (the Providence train station garage fills up fast).

Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM

If it's not downtown, then it's really 6 of one, half dozen of another, because the cheaper rent in the neighborhoods makes you spend more time to commute to the train and also pay for parking. Both will have long commutes in any scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island