Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 01:56 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times

Advertisements

What's up with this limited seasonal beer.....................is it really that good? Family and friends say it has been doing real well since it came out.

Anybody here care to comment?

I know it is not brewed in RI........but the history of the two products is neat (RI signature drinks). The can looks awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 12:40 PM

108 posts, read 181,683 times
It has been selling like hotcakes. My friend, who is a bar tender, said that during the initial intro they had to call on some favors to get their hands on it.

It's now more widely available after the initial push. It's not bad. Tasty beer but nothing compared to the hype. It's worth picking up a 6pk.

Last I heard gansett is trying to bring the brewing back home. I think that they had to get sales to a certain threshold first. I believe they brought the corp HQ downtown a few years ago. They do a lot of local stuff so while it's not my favorite beer, I make a point to buy it from time-to-time to support the local cause.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:34 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
I wonder if "Narragansett" even sells outside of NE, where it is basically only selling due to the novelty factor. It is not very good beer (nor is it cheap). Let's see how the Shandy does in the long run, will it last?

Old 05-26-2014, 11:03 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
We can't get Gansett out here, but if you like a good shandy, try Leinenkugel's.. very refreshing.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:35 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
There is a restaurant here in town selling Narragansett and supposedly it is one of it's biggest sellers...............although we do have a lot of RI and Mass transplants here.

Our ABC has two six-pack's on the shelf and one seasonal that has been there for a while.

I would like to try it even if for just the novelty of it!

Yingling is extremely popular here in our area, it has caught on quickly!

When I was asking at the ABC store about the gansett shandy they recommended Leinenkugel's

Old 05-26-2014, 05:54 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,184,886 times
The Shandy release isn't suppose to "last", it's a limited release. I'm not a fan of Shandys myself but the combination of these two local brands is a gold mine - if you check their facebook page, people are having a hard time finding it already. I hope Narragansett is better prepared than they were for their Autocrat stout release that disappeared before I blinked. It seems so, they're doing a batch of the Shandy every other week for the summer. I have to admit, it's an attractive can, and I'll probably give it a try if I see it around.

I'm surprised that anyone would find Narragansett to be expensive - it's usually the cheapest beer on tap wherever I go, and the six packs are pretty cheap, especially if you remember that it's 16 oz not 12 oz. Honestly, I don't think it matters whether or not they're ever as popular outside New England. The trend is towards regional beers anyway, and look how long Yuengling has been around despite only being available in PA until recently.

PS - supposedly Yankee Spirits in Attleboro has a decent supply right now.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:47 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
The Shandy release isn't suppose to "last", it's a limited release. I'm not a fan of Shandys myself but the combination of these two local brands is a gold mine - if you check their facebook page, people are having a hard time finding it already. I hope Narragansett is better prepared than they were for their Autocrat stout release that disappeared before I blinked. It seems so, they're doing a batch of the Shandy every other week for the summer. I have to admit, it's an attractive can, and I'll probably give it a try if I see it around.

I'm surprised that anyone would find Narragansett to be expensive - it's usually the cheapest beer on tap wherever I go, and the six packs are pretty cheap, especially if you remember that it's 16 oz not 12 oz. Honestly, I don't think it matters whether or not they're ever as popular outside New England. The trend is towards regional beers anyway, and look how long Yuengling has been around despite only being available in PA until recently.

It's an amusing summer relief, if summer (if spring!) ever arrives, but I prefer Del's straight-up, with two shots of Stoli.

Expensive? I guess that's a relative term but it's probably the cheapest beer available, though the special brews like Bock and Porter cost more.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-27-2014 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: huh?

Old 05-26-2014, 07:00 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:

Relatively. In the store it's usually the equivalent of Bud and Coors (6 pack), not like a Busch or PBR (as the original Narragansett was). I just don't see the point. On tap, I've seen PBR cheaper than I've ever seen Gansett.

Last edited by massnative71; 05-26-2014 at 07:10 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:

The Autocrat stout was great and locally one pub had it on tap. It was the equal of Guinness. It was suppose to come out again in spring, but ? nowhere to be found. Probably using the brewing space with this Shandy which I will never try. Narragansett sells well locally, Mass and Ct included and has long passed the novelty factor. Surprisingly it is found in many Florida locations and sells well. Narragansett expensive?, wow, always one of the least expensive by case or on tap.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:42 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
It's an amusing summer relief, if summer (if spring!) ever arrives, but I prefer Del's straight-up, with two shots of Stoli.

Expensive? I guess that's a relative term but it's probably the cheapest beer available, though the special brews like Bock and Porter cost more.
Alfie! We missed you!

I'm with you, I prefer my Dels with vodka, and my beer with...beer.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-27-2014 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island