Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:36 PM

490 posts, read 1,092,155 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in northern Rhode Island. However, unlike many others who were born and raised in northern Rhode Island; I do not speak with a Rhode Island accent whatsoever. In fact, when I inform people from other states who are familiar with the local accent/dialect of R.I. that I'm originally from R.I., they usually respond by saying something along the lines of, "Really?! I would have never guessed! You don't sound like you're from Rhode Island at all!" That being said, what is the actual extent of the R.I. accent in the State of R.I.? I've noticed that many people who live in Washington County and Newport County, whether they are transplants or they were born and raised in those counties, do not speak with an R.I. accent. Does the accent just loose ground there because there's far more transplants residing in those counties versus the more northerly counties in the state? Do people who live in the westernmost and northwestern-most towns in the state speak with an R.I. accent?

Also, it should be noted that many residents of the towns of East Greenwich and Barrington; which are located in Kent County and Bristol County respectively; do not speak with the popularized R.I. accent.

Last edited by WhatUpFLA; 04-07-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 03:20 PM

583 posts, read 1,319,686 times
It doesn't matter where you live in the state, I have heard accents in Newport that are as strong as in Pawtucket. It depends more on whether your friends and family growing up had accents, so their mobility had something to do with it, sure- as more people from other areas move in the accents fade away.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:28 PM

149 posts, read 261,178 times
I have a Rhode island accent but it has gone away in certain words because of the military. My whole family has it.. well some if my cousins don't but we all grew up in westerly so I guess some do some don't. ..

Old 04-07-2011, 06:23 PM

490 posts, read 1,092,155 times
vivalamam311,

That's interesting. Even though I'm from Rhode Island, I've never met anyone who was born and raised in Westerly. I think that Westerly is the only municipality in Rhode Island that does not belong to the Providence-New Bedford-Fall River metropolitan area. Also, Westerly is more culturally and economically tied to New London, Connecticut, especially since it's part of the New London-Groton New England City-Town Area (NECTA). Based on that information, one would assume that those who grew up in Westerly are the least likely of all Rhode Islanders to speak with a Rhode Island accent.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:39 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,980,056 times
I would say there are multiple accents in Rhode Island. I have met some people from South County who sound almost uppercrust English.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:36 AM

293 posts, read 561,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I would say there are multiple accents in Rhode Island. I have met some people from South County who sound almost uppercrust English.

That's a shocker for South County

I grew up in Northern RI and it was hit or miss, but I definitely heard many thick ones in my time. I never had it myself, which I attributed to my parents growing up in different parts of country. Living out west now, I always hear that I 'dont sound like' I'm from the east coast either. Though every now and then I'll pronounce a word 'funny' and get called on it. However, someone needs to tell the poor folks here that that soda crap ain't called 'pop'.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:51 PM

986 posts, read 2,323,956 times
The strongest accents are found in Cranston, Johnston, Warwick, the Providences, and Pawtucket.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 PM

630 posts, read 1,868,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Thats old money talkin' brother!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 PM

630 posts, read 1,868,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
The strongest accents are found in Cranston, Johnston, Warwick, the Providences, and Pawtucket.
Sadly,this qauint accent does make someone sound a few IQ points lower than they deserve credit for.I think some elected officials keep it in pocket,to deploy at public events,to sound more "man of the people".

Old 04-04-2012, 05:47 PM

504 posts, read 611,077 times
I have found that it is most prevelant and strongest in people from northern Rhode Island especially Providence, Pawtucket and Lincoln I have noticed it a lot, but you also hear it in Newport and elsewhere in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island