U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2011, 02:37 PM

986 posts, read 1,280,665 times

Advertisements

Southern NH is a big area, what areas are you looking at specifically and what areas of RI are you looking at?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 PM

3,195 posts, read 3,568,350 times
I could live anywhere in RI and I'm looking in So NH, close to MA border area towns because it's more populated and has more amenities around. The rest of NH is beautiful but too remote for me.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:45 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,463,209 times
Im originally from a border town on the Mass side of RI. Many apts are in people's homes in New England. There are definitely apt complexes and more have been built the last 10 years or so. Still unlike the rest of the country with the many Apt complexes, many apts in New England are in two or three family homes.

RI taxes all your retirement income there are no breaks at all. I think for many retirees that is something to take very seriously.

As far as winters it can be either way if your in Southern NH. Some years better than others. Some storms seem to hit southern NE and to a lesser extent So NH. Other times its the other way around. Definitely going north into NH would be somewhat remote, and the winters can be long and brutal. Yes a big plus for NH and for the retiree is no taxes. No income or sales tax in NH. Yes the property taxes are sky high in NH. Of course if your renting in NH that may be a good deal for you, but Im sure the rent would reflect the owners taxes. Also be careful of rentals that include heat. You may find you do not control the thermostat the landlord does. Cost of living is very high in New England and housing is generally older. I personally don't feel NH has a fair tax base. It leans completely on the home owners Property tax to fund the state. I think NH is a beautiful state and so close to Mass, Boston and other areas. Mountains, ocean.

RI I always felt had a high crime rate for such a small state, Mainly greater Providence. The area of Mass I grew up adjacent to Northern RI has a nice homey feel to it. The crime and severity of it is much less and people generally know their neigbors. Definitely not transient like the West Coast. There is Lincoln RI and much of the Cumberland RI area that would be nice for you. All handy to fwys and shopping Medical. In fact that area has some very large newer apt complexes that might interest you.

If you decide on NH. The Nashua area would be a good bet for Apt complexes.

Yes New England is a great place but winters and COL are not for everyone.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I could live anywhere in RI and I'm looking in So NH, close to MA border area towns because it's more populated and has more amenities around. The rest of NH is beautiful but too remote for me.
What I'm saying is the border of NH and MA is big and varied. Are we talking the Nashua/Salem area, the Portsmouth area, or the Keene area?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Im originally from a border town on the Mass side of RI. Many apts are in people's homes in New England. There are definitely apt complexes and more have been built the last 10 years or so. Still unlike the rest of the country with the many Apt complexes, many apts in New England are in two or three family homes.

RI taxes all your retirement income there are no breaks at all. I think for many retirees that is something to take very seriously.

As far as winters it can be either way if your in Southern NH. Some years better than others. Some storms seem to hit southern NE and to a lesser extent So NH. Other times its the other way around. Definitely going north into NH would be somewhat remote, and the winters can be long and brutal. Yes a big plus for NH and for the retiree is no taxes. No income or sales tax in NH. Yes the property taxes are sky high in NH. Of course if your renting in NH that may be a good deal for you, but Im sure the rent would reflect the owners taxes. Also be careful of rentals that include heat. You may find you do not control the thermostat the landlord does. Cost of living is very high in New England and housing is generally older. I personally don't feel NH has a fair tax base. It leans completely on the home owners Property tax to fund the state. I think NH is a beautiful state and so close to Mass, Boston and other areas. Mountains, ocean.

RI I always felt had a high crime rate for such a small state, Mainly greater Providence. The area of Mass I grew up adjacent to Northern RI has a nice homey feel to it. The crime and severity of it is much less and people generally know their neigbors. Definitely not transient like the West Coast. There is Lincoln RI and much of the Cumberland RI area that would be nice for you. All handy to fwys and shopping Medical. In fact that area has some very large newer apt complexes that might interest you.

If you decide on NH. The Nashua area would be a good bet for Apt complexes.

Yes New England is a great place but winters and COL are not for everyone.

Hope this helps.
I had no idea that rent in NH was comparable to SoCal. That's crazy, but that reflects property taxes.

RI is pretty safe. It's small, but has a population of 1 million, most of which lives right around Providence and along the bay, making it a fairly urban state. So while crime might seem higher, it's concentrate (though I live in Providence and consider it a safe city if you've got even a hint of common sense).

Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 PM

2,885 posts, read 2,142,370 times
New Hampshire is a much better run state and overall has a cleaner, better maintained feel to it than RI (especially the roads) if those things mean anything to you. Also New Hampshire's "Live Free or Die" motto and stingy social benefits are a sort of blessing in disguise. Freeloading types have little reason to go there while Rhode Island has for decades been a welfare magnet and that combined with the loss of industry has resulted in many areas turning from stable working-class into transient Section-8 infested ghettos. I hear Nashua, NH has also seen an influx of this as well, however. But I'm sure it's nothing compared to Pawtucket, Woonsocket or Central Falls.

If urban amenities are more important to you I would say Rhode Island takes the prize. Manchester has nothing on Providence when it comes to culture/food/architecture and all. My advice would be Rhode Island for city/ocean and New Hampshire for rural/suburban/woods/lakes. Not that both places don't offer the other as well...I don't know here I go rambling on again. You really have to come see both places to get a feel of what you like.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 AM

4,005 posts, read 5,334,755 times
Nashua seems boring to me compared to RI- I visit people who live there. Doesn't seem to have a lot of public attractions.

Crime in RI is easily avoidable. There are plenty of quiet safe areas especially in the suburban ring towns.

However, I have lived on the East Side of Providence for 25+ yrs and in that time, when I lived near Miriam Hospital, someone stole a wreath off my porch. I have lived in the Blackstone neighborhood of the East Side now for a number of years and have experienced no crime so far.

Are you sure you just want to rent? I'm seeing small houses- under 1000 sq ft- equivalent to apts-that can be had in decent middle class neighborhoods well under $150,000. Rhode Island Living

Old 04-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Nashua is boring. The only place in southern NH worth living, IMO, is Portsmouth and right outside it. The stuff along Rt 3 and I-93 just over the NH line is pretty much a big shopping area for MA residents to save money.

And I agree on buying vs renting here in RI. If your mortgage is close to or less than what you'd pay in rent, why rent? Housing prices here are super low right now.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:55 AM

542 posts, read 636,544 times
Have you thought about Portland, Maine?- it's nicer than all those comporable cities in NH, and I believe there is an active retirement community because of the compact, walkable amenities. In terms of weather it wouldn't be any different than NH probably. Portsmouth, NH definitly has some underated charm. Personally I think the South Kingstown, RI area would even be a better place to retire though.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 AM

5,747 posts, read 5,533,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I live in a 1-bedroom now and pay $1350 (but they've given me an increase break the last few years because I've lived there so long (keeping my fingers crossed that continues). I live a very simple but comfortable life without many frills but I like to live in a nice place and nice suburban area. I spend almost zero on entertainment. I want to pay like $1K a month for an apt when I retire. Course I can look into 55+ places which might be less costly.

Researching apts in So NH, the rents are about the same as here but surprisingly there really aren't' that many apt complexes. I guess most people own there. Here in SoCal renting is very common because homes are so expensive and probably 50% of the population has to rent.

This current article may interest you.

Best, worst states for retiree taxes - 2 - boomers - MSN Money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island