Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:23 AM

76 posts, read 96,192 times

Advertisements

what are best streets in Federal Hill to rent? (for a 20 something woman)

I saw this great place on Willow Street right across from Dexter field, the place looks great, it is very spacious (1400 sqf) with 2 bedrooms and a small loft like office. on google maps the area looks nice enough, the price is pretty cheep (1350$ a month) it is in the Willow Street Commons part.
and it comes with: WASHER/DRYER, CENTRAL AIR, DISHWASHER, ALARM SYSTEM, HARDWOOD FLOORS, BACK PORCH, and 2 PARKING SPACES right outside your door. Condo community takes care of maintenance, landscaping, and trash/snow removal - very convenient!
it's a bit farther away then what i am looking for in federal hill but it is a small walk away to broadway and dean street and atwell street, less then an hour bus drive to school, and less then 20 minutes drive to downton, though it is about an hour bus drive to the east side, but less then half an hour bike ride to both school and the east side.

what about sessions street on blackstone neighborhood across from Brown uni stadium on the east side? there's a great place there 4 BD 2 baths and just under 1700$ which if i take a room-mate would be just fine. and it is pretty big 1300sqf, and it is on the second floor - which is find by me. and it is across from a temple (not that i practice much).

Last edited by gejufan; 05-13-2011 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 11:59 AM

9,244 posts, read 14,802,954 times
Go for Sessions st- much better neighborhood. Don't forget utilities (heat, electric, etc) though, on a 4 bed 2 bath, probably another $400 a month.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:02 PM

alright, what about east transit street? near india park?
there's a huge 2 story 2000sqf house there with 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, a huge kitchen and pantry, nice living room plus the basement have been converted into another bedroom with an attached bath -which is cool. for just under 1700$ sadly utilities are not including but the owner is more then ok with me having three cats.
my only concern is what will the heat price be in the winter for such a huge place.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:54 AM

688 posts, read 2,129,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gejufan View Post
my only concern is what will the heat price be in the winter for such a huge place.
No way to tell without seeing the house/windows and the heating system and knowing how warm/cold you'll keep the place. It's probably a significant expense though.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:32 PM

986 posts, read 2,327,117 times
The Armory District is safe enough, but, as you said, getting to the East Side will take longer (I'm guessing you're a student at Brown or RISD?).

That 2000 sq ft house will likely not be cheap to heat. I have a 1500 sq ft house and oil costs me over $250 each month on a budget plan.

I would concentrate your search on the East Side (Fox Point, the southern portion of the East Side is less expensive than most of the rest of the East Side). I would also look at Federal Hill right around Atwells. The Atwells bus will get you to the East Side without a transfer downtown. You also have the trolley, which does the same thing. I used to live right around Atwells and Dean and it's a perfectly safe neighborhood for a single female. My wife would take the bus to Brown from there everyday.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:36 PM

JWU actually, harbor-side campus. so you can understand the living difficulties. on the one side i want to be close to campus, on the other side i want to be close to the shops, and restaurants and bars and so on.

would you recommend renting a bit south from Atwell, like on the streets right before Broadway? what about the west side of Broadway?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
JWU actually, harbor-side campus. so you can understand the living difficulties. on the one side i want to be close to campus, on the other side i want to be close to the shops, and restaurants and bars and so on.

would you recommend renting a bit south from Atwell, like on the streets right before Broadway? what about the west side of Broadway?
There's a JWU dorm on Dean St just north of Atwells. There's a shuttle that runs up and down Dean Street to the campus. Lots of JWU students live in that area (same area where I used to live). The farther west you go, the more difficult it will be to get to campus because you lose easy access to that shuttle. West Broadway has an older population of people in their 30s and 40s. There are some not-so-nice streets over there as well. I would probably recommend staying closer to downtown. You'll have easy access to the JWU shuttle and easy access to the bars and shops on Atwells and downtown. It'll also be easier to get to the East Side.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:42 AM

hey, one place i saw is on 441 broadway street really close to knight street, it's pretty big and seems nice.
is that side of broadway really full of 30's- 40's?
from what i saw it is only about 20 minutes walk from dean.

i guess i'll have to think about it. it does seem like a very nice place, pretty cheep only 1200$ for 1300sqf and the owner is ok with cats (though we'll to see if three is ok with him/her). and it's not too far, i guess it will be like if i were to live on transit street?
i'll keep searching, after all i still have nearly two months to make a decision.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
hey, one place i saw is on 441 broadway street really close to knight street, it's pretty big and seems nice.
is that side of broadway really full of 30's- 40's?
from what i saw it is only about 20 minutes walk from dean.

i guess i'll have to think about it. it does seem like a very nice place, pretty cheep only 1200$ for 1300sqf and the owner is ok with cats (though we'll to see if three is ok with him/her). and it's not too far, i guess it will be like if i were to live on transit street?
i'll keep searching, after all i still have nearly two months to make a decision.
Knowing nothing about you or the place, I can't really make any recommendations. That end of Broadway tends to be people who have been out of college for a while. If that's what you're looking for, it'd be great. Broadway is a safe street and it's a MUCH shorter walk than 20 minutes to Dean Street. I'd say 10 at the most. I used to live at the corner of Dean and Federal Streets. I could walk to Julian's on Broadway (corner of Broadway and Vinton) in about 5 minutes. Knight St is just another block down.

JWU should have an off campus living/housing office. You may consider contacting them for help finding an apartment.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:39 PM

JWU does have off campus housing, they just don't have any off campus housing that is pet friendly, and i am moving to Providence with my 3 cats.

maybe it won't be bad as a first year place until i'll get to know the city a bit. if it is less then 20 minutes walk to dean then i could probably live with it for a year. how far along is atwell from it?

about myself: i am 25, single, I like good food, and to drink I just like to have fun as, i can imagine, any young female my age.

Last edited by gejufan; 05-16-2011 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island