U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:43 PM

5,808 posts, read 5,722,744 times

Advertisements

She doesn't have to reside in Providence. It is so easy to get to Providence to work from anywhere in RI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 01:54 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,026,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avh9000 View Post
It's not my fault that Rhode Island has a reputation for having one of the worst economies in the country, very few jobs, high cost of living, and generally high crime for the size of the area.
So says the guy from California! Pot, meet kettle!

Here's a plus: We won't be sunk to the bottom of the ocean due to the "big one" any time soon.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
As far as liberalism goes, we're full up with libs. Probably more rough around the edges union libs than crunchy granola Cali libs, though, so you probably wouldn't like it too much.
HA! Well we do have a lot of college kids so....

Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM

3,217 posts, read 3,636,153 times
Default one of the worst economies in the country, very few jobs, high cost of living, and generally high crime

sounds like SoCal to me....I mean, I live there so I know what I'm talkin' about.

Seriously, though, if you go with an open mind for the adventure of living in a completely different environment (which it will be), who knows??? East coast and west coast are completely different. RI is a beautiful state, close to Boston if you really need a big city "fix", alot of partying in Newport. Cape Cod is very close by. I mean, if you hate it, then you can always go back to San Monica (which certainly has its own set of issues by the way).

But if you are already feeling that you won't like it, then I suggest not going. Find someplace else that would suit you better...there's lots of cities out there to consider.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:04 PM

986 posts, read 1,301,017 times
Much of what they're saying is fairly accurate. RI is a friendly place. It's friendlier than Boston and NYC and much moreso than CT. We're not superficial, like SoCal. There's less traffic. We're liberal, but, as they said, not overly crunchy granola (though I usually associate that with SF rather than LA). We're definitely liberal, but the Catholic church does seem to have a strong presence here (my biggest complaint when it comes to politics).

The weather isn't always cold, but it's not dry like CA. It's humid and hot in the summer (though right now it's cloudy, rainy, and cool, but quite humid). The winter is cold, can be snowy, usually icy, often wet and slushy and messy. I wouldn't trade it for anything, but many don't like it. Fall is usually beautiful with drier air and temps in the upper 60's or low 70's.

Providence is very laid back, far moreso than any of the other major cities in the northeast (the only exceptions might be Burlington, VT or Portland, ME).

Old 05-24-2011, 01:42 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,513,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Perhaps if you attempt to appreciate the history, the sense of place and historic homes- all things southern CA is a bit short on...
OMG, Holly, I guess you actually don't know anything about the LA area??!. Time for hollytree to take a sightseeing trip in LA!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,513,619 times
Default Face it, the weather here stinks real bad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
It's humid and hot in the summer (though right now it's cloudy, rainy, and cool, but quite humid). The winter is cold, can be snowy, usually icy, often wet and slushy and messy. I wouldn't trade it for anything, but many don't like it.
Yup, count me in that latter group who don't like it. Jim, I'm dying to know what you love so much about endless days and nights of overcast gloom, wetness, 98% relative humidity, rain, snow, clouds and cloying dampness??

One thing I've figured out, it's not the cold that's the issue here in RI, it's the humidity. Also, the frequency of month-long stretches of horribly wet rainy deeply-overcast days is simply appalling.

RI has one of the most bizarre and distinctly HORRIBLE climates in the world. It's the one issue I simply can't "get over" living here. Everything else I can put up with, but not the weather.

July, August, and September it's like POOF, welcome to Aruba. Fantastically wonderful (really)! But what about the other atrociously HORRIBLE 9 months of crap weather???!?!

Quote:
Fall is usually beautiful with drier air and temps in the upper 60's or low 70's.
Hah hah ha. Yes, RI does have a dry season (July-October). During this "dry season" you can actually have a few moments where the relative humidity dips under 85%. It's the only time of the year I feel like a human being living here.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:18 PM

986 posts, read 1,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Yup, count me in that latter group who don't like it. Jim, I'm dying to know what you love so much about endless days and nights of overcast gloom, wetness, 98% relative humidity, rain, snow, clouds and cloying dampness??

One thing I've figured out, it's not the cold that's the issue here in RI, it's the humidity. Also, the frequency of month-long stretches of horribly wet rainy deeply-overcast days is simply appalling.

RI has one of the most bizarre and distinctly HORRIBLE climates in the world. It's the one issue I simply can't "get over" living here. Everything else I can put up with, but not the weather.

July, August, and September it's like POOF, welcome to Aruba. Fantastically wonderful (really)! But what about the other atrociously HORRIBLE 9 months of crap weather???!?!

Hah hah ha. Yes, RI does have a dry season (July-October). During this "dry season" you can actually have a few moments where the relative humidity dips under 85%. It's the only time of the year I feel like a human being living here.
The weather doesn't drive me out, though I could use more snow (which is why I'm hoping to move to VT at some point).

I can deal with some of the humidity, and fall is always really nice. The cold here is bone chilling because of the humidity, but if there's snow, I don't mind.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:57 PM

7,534 posts, read 8,406,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post

I'm with you on this. Last dry summer here where we got a good long break from the dampness (I believe they called a drought) was 1998. Last summer and 2005 were nice summers. But it seems intermittently every other summer is at least 1/2 rained out. I've been back east 6 years. I grow less tolerant of the omnipresent dampness every year. The dampness here year round is a bit of a drag. But yes August - October in New England is bloody brilliant, like Shangri La, or maybe it just seems that way compared to the rest of the year. No hard feelings, I lived a mostly good life here, but I gotta go west. I'd rather be in more sun, just not SoCal.

On a side note, they are having effd up weather all over the US right now. I'm totally grateful for the lack of tornados and destructive weather.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
The weather doesn't drive me out, though I could use more snow (which is why I'm hoping to move to VT at some point).

I can deal with some of the humidity, and fall is always really nice. The cold here is bone chilling because of the humidity, but if there's snow, I don't mind.
If you counted the days of humidity over 70% here you might take up one month out of the whole year. As usual Pohdncrzy is so far off the mark, and his comments are so exaggerated that one wonders if it isn't purposeful...

Most days in Rhode Island the humidity is under 60%. And don't let this May fool you, I've been here almost eight years now and it has by far been the worst weather of any May since. May is normally one of my favorite months here. I asked my boss about it (he's a native), and he says he can't remember the last May that was this bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island