U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:21 PM

490 posts, read 810,572 times

Advertisements

Just move to San Diego or Phoenix instead. You'll thank me, bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 549 times
Hi avh9000,

Im actually in the same boat. I may be moving from Los Angeles, CA (Pasadena) to Providence, RI.
Are you still in RI, how did everything work out for you in the end?

I've been researching this all day today. The most frustrating part: I've done tons of searches online for people moving from the west coast to east, but this seems to be non-existent!!

Google actually 'corrects' my search terms to show me posts for people 'moving from east to west' since this is much more common...its almost like google says, 'ok, no one in their right mind would ever move from west coast to east.. let me correct that for you'

Any feedback you have would be great to hear.

Thanks,

Your fellow Angeleno

Old 10-03-2017, 07:37 AM

5,805 posts, read 9,606,091 times
It would be helpful if you told us why you are moving. Are you a student? Do you have a job offer- where? Are you looking to rent or buy? What kind of community are you looking for?

Old 10-03-2017, 10:11 AM

3,894 posts, read 4,006,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avh9000 View Post
I am moving from West Hollywood, CA to Providence, RI (possibly) next month and am wondering if anyone else has made this move. I grew up in Santa Monica, CA so have lived in the same area all my life. I'm in my late twenties and am in the food industry and environmental industry. Most people have told me that I will hate Providence because it's boring, cold, and mostly college-aged. I've also been told that it's not "liberal" enough for a person who has only lived in Southern California. True? False? I spent 2 days in Providence last spring and I didn't hate it, but I also didn't love it. I would be moving for work.

In the past, I've considered moving to Portland, OR and Washington DC, but DC has worse traffic than Los Angeles and is more expensive...I can't deal with that.

I'm really looking for guidance from someone who has made a similar move. I'm mostly nervous about the harsh (yes, harsh, from someone from S. CA) winters and "stuffy" people. I've never once driven in snow.
Conquer this, relax, and everything else will fall into place. Providence is a cool town, like JV Boston (except better Italian food ). As someone who relocated from New England to Texas, the key to happiness is to keep an open mind and appreciate it for what it is. Don't worry about stuffy people. Rhode Islanders are pretty salt of the earth.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:04 PM

9,293 posts, read 12,621,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Conquer this, relax, and everything else will fall into place. Providence is a cool town, like JV Boston (except better Italian food ). As someone who relocated from New England to Texas, the key to happiness is to keep an open mind and appreciate it for what it is. Don't worry about stuffy people. Rhode Islanders are pretty salt of the earth.

He may have already settled in, or didn't make the move. His post/question is dated: 05-22-2011, 10:17 PM
(But at least you get credit for trying.)

Old 10-03-2017, 06:14 PM

249 posts, read 81,594 times
[quote=lespaul4;49705990]Hi avh9000,

Im actually in the same boat. I may be moving from Los Angeles, CA (Pasadena) to Providence, RI.
Are you still in RI, how did everything work out for you in the end?

I've been researching this all day today. The most frustrating part: I've done tons of searches online for people moving from the west coast to east, but this seems to be non-existent!!

Google actually 'corrects' my search terms to show me posts for people 'moving from east to west' since this is much more common...its almost like google says, 'ok, no one in their right mind would ever move from west coast to east.. let me correct that for you'

Any feedback you have would be great to hear.

Thanks,

Your fellow Angeleno[/QUOTE. Oh, he's here. I put a dollar in his cup on the corner of North Main and Smithfield this morning. Which is where you'll be if you move here without a job. Providence isn't even remotely "JV Boston". One is a thriving, economically vibrant world class city full of excitement and opportunity and the other ain't. Hey, you'll probably find as I have, that Providence isn't without intrinsic charm of it's own, but there's simply no basis for a comparison with Boston except to note that they're both cities on the east coast. Apples and oranges, black and white, night and day. The truth is this kid: Providence is a poor city in a poor state. They're both near broke. In fact if you don't hurry up and get here, there's an even money chance that Providence will have filed for bankruptcy before you arrive. Roads are third world, sidewalks are crumbled, parks and schools are a mess. There's just no money and it shows, in spades! Taxes are through the roof as you'll find out as soon as you try to put a car on the road. I'm gonna tell you something and you can take it to the bank: Unless you've got a great job waiting or special circumstances as I have, you'd be out of your mind to move here from Pasadena. Please don't take my word for it, perform your own due diligence. But don't listen to other posters here. To a man (and woman) they're suffering from an incurable ailment. Insecure, defensive, myopic homer syndrome.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:37 PM

249 posts, read 81,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Perhaps you could understand it better if I had posted in the LA forum:

"I have to move to LA for a job. I hear the people out there are shallow and superficial, there is no culture, and the air pollution is so bad you can hardly catch a breath. Am I going to be miserable there?"

Savvy?
I gotta give credit where it's due. This is a great post, an oldie but goodie!

Old 10-03-2017, 06:40 PM

3,894 posts, read 4,006,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
He may have already settled in, or didn't make the move. His post/question is dated: 05-22-2011, 10:17 PM
(But at least you get credit for trying.)
Oh...that's right. I didn't notice. This thread is in first grade now. My bad

Old 12-02-2017, 01:15 PM

12 posts, read 4,239 times
I did it. 5 months in after a decade in CA--4 years in LA; 6 years in the Bay.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:24 AM

959 posts, read 938,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene44 View Post
I did it. 5 months in after a decade in CA--4 years in LA; 6 years in the Bay.
And? How's it going in RI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island