Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 13,487 times

Advertisements

I am moving from West Hollywood, CA to Providence, RI (possibly) next month and am wondering if anyone else has made this move. I grew up in Santa Monica, CA so have lived in the same area all my life. I'm in my late twenties and am in the food industry and environmental industry. Most people have told me that I will hate Providence because it's boring, cold, and mostly college-aged. I've also been told that it's not "liberal" enough for a person who has only lived in Southern California. True? False? I spent 2 days in Providence last spring and I didn't hate it, but I also didn't love it. I would be moving for work.

In the past, I've considered moving to Portland, OR and Washington DC, but DC has worse traffic than Los Angeles and is more expensive...I can't deal with that.

I'm really looking for guidance from someone who has made a similar move. I'm mostly nervous about the harsh (yes, harsh, from someone from S. CA) winters and "stuffy" people. I've never once driven in snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 AM

9,206 posts, read 14,763,261 times
It will be a very different experience for you- if you open your mind to it and adjust your negative attitude.

Perhaps if you attempt to appreciate the history, the sense of place and historic homes- all things southern CA is a bit short on- you will have an interesting time here. We go back to the 1600s- the state was founded in 1636. Pardon me if I sound "stuffy".

Old 05-23-2011, 08:35 AM

583 posts, read 1,319,502 times
Is that what they think out in Santa Monica? Hmmm. I've heard that everyone is very superficial in SoCo. Stuffy or superficial- which could be worse. RI is probably the most laid back NE state with our abundance of coastline, overall lack of crime. Our Hospitality and Tourism Industry is world class. Half the students at Brown and RISD come from California. Is it LA, Miami, or NYC -no. But we are close to Boston and NYC and its definitly not the sticks.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,412,933 times
It is very helpful for folks to read the Providence Journal (or any local newspaper), to get an overview of the area they are interested in.

www.projo.com

And for property values:

www.riliving.com (which is the Rhode Island MLS system)

Old 05-23-2011, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 13,487 times
My goodness. Unfortunately, Hollytree, you seem to be the one with the negative attitude. I was simply being open and honest about the advice I've been given and about my concerns. I guess since everything is about you, you have the right to take my post so personally. It's not my fault that Rhode Island has a reputation for having one of the worst economies in the country, very few jobs, high cost of living, and generally high crime for the size of the area. I simply want some sound, practical advice, but thank you for your comments.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 AM

9,206 posts, read 14,763,261 times
Perhaps you could understand it better if I had posted in the LA forum:

"I have to move to LA for a job. I hear the people out there are shallow and superficial, there is no culture, and the air pollution is so bad you can hardly catch a breath. Am I going to be miserable there?"

Savvy?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 AM

564 posts, read 1,863,923 times
RI doesn't have a lot of crime (unless you are speaking of elected officials raping the state)

the economy isn't great and the job market isn't too hot for a lot of folks, true, but if you have a job here what's the worry?

Cost of living is relative....I'd bet it's cheaper to live here than in LA.

As far as liberalism goes, we're full up with libs. Probably more rough around the edges union libs than crunchy granola Cali libs, though, so you probably wouldn't like it too much.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,912,645 times
RI is completely different than LA. It's more affordable and there is less traffic. Economy in both states is suffering, as it is in most of the USA. You'll find people in RI to be more down to Earth and "gruff" than the pretentious 50 cent millionaires that have taken over California. Sorry but some stereotypes hold true (I lived in LA).

It certainly gets cold in RI, but it's the warmest place in New England. Is it boring? Well, Providence is much smaller than LA, so obviously there is less to do.

As for being liberal, New England is not the type of area where it's "cool" to drive a Prius, be a Vegan and try to save the world by using paper over plastic. We're real here. Fiscally conservative (which is why you'll see wealthy people in a '95 Volvo) and socially liberal (live and let live).

If you want an east coast clone of California (in attitude and traffic), move to the Connecticut shoreline west of New Haven.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 PM

57 posts, read 187,287 times
You are right about college age. I have lived in Bstn for nearly 7 years and the northeast, traveled around a lot. Boston/RI -- Boston is far worse for 'young' crowd. If you are over 30 and female you will start filling old if you are not hooked up or pushing a stroller. RI is cheaper than Bstn area but it is VERY expensive and Boston is just as expensive as LA. Some people get away from Boston to Rhode Island. RI is also very small as a state. People are very provincial -- most people in NE were born and raised. If you are a transplant you are a college kid OR you've married someone who is born and raised bc that person has family there. And snooty -- I would say more cold. There is a post on Boston asking 'why people dont' make eye contact' -- and what will be glaring are the responses of Bostonians -- "we might have to be friendly." RI is New England territory. My impression was just a little more run-down and cheaper than parts of Boston. NH on the other hand is nothing like Bston/MA but still very provinicial. I think RI -- CT -- MA -- you're going to get a similar feel. I had clients in NE area from Miami who were living in icky apts (chefs relocating for a job) and they complained about prices -- Miami was cheaper and what you got was nicer. Young is a good word for the culture in NE or houses, homes and families.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM

583 posts, read 1,319,502 times
Any metro-area anywhere will be more impersonal and seem less-friendly. Providence is not nearly as impersonal as Boston, and near the coast in RI, people are more 'open' than in Providence. Hopitality and tourism is what this state is all about, which goes hand in hand with tact, something the OP didn't quite start off with here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island