U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-06-2011, 04:18 AM

104 posts, read 135,809 times

Advertisements

I am pondering the thought to move out of RI to either Pa or Ohio. MY dh has lost his job as a welder. There seems to be no jobs for mig welders within RI. CT or Ma. The few that do exist pay too little to survive. He is able to collect. In OH and Pa there are numerous welder positions with decent pay. However here I have a wonderful home in a great neighborhood. I could probably never find such a home to afford in either of the other states. can't get another mortage without a job. The housing market in RI is not good. If I were to sell I am hoping to get a sale that would allow me to move and buy an ok house elsewhere.JUst not sure if we should bite the bullet, venture out of state and checkout the homes, sell the house and move. I believe he can collect unemployment even if we move................ Are people still paying fair prices for homes in RI.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 06:18 AM

4,040 posts, read 5,453,237 times
I'd definitely try to move for a job. Both PA and Ohio have low cost housing so you should be able to buy again if jobs are in place.

Of course houses are selling in RI now. Make sure your place looks good and is in move in condition.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 PM

173 posts, read 153,712 times
We just moved to a town outside charlotte, nc...my husband found a job before we moved, which was the advice everyone gave us. IT was either take the job in nc or my husband would have been unemployed (he is a school teacher).

Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM

688 posts, read 1,330,852 times
Will you lose the house once unemployment benefits end? If yes, well, then you're living on borrowed time if your husband can't find a job within that period. I would probably at least take a trip into the area with jobs and take a look around what's on the market there. Who knows?

Old 08-18-2011, 12:32 PM

5,814 posts, read 5,730,708 times
This article is on CNN Money. Very interesting and timely.

Where the jobs are - Rockwall County, TX (1) - Money Magazine

Maybe you could rent your house, and rent wherever you decide to move to. That will give you time to take a good look at a particular area and decide if it's a keeper. Home prices are down quite a bit all over the country (very few areas have been spared); you have to do some serious homework. The suggestion of visiting a few areas once you have narrowed down your possibilities is a good one. A week in each area should tell you whether or not you can be comfortable, and how the job market is. I am not sure if the article mentioned Greenville SC as one of the areas for excellent job growth. Just south of the western NC border, it is not only family friendly and a beautiful lost cost of living area, but major companies are expanding there and others are building there. The city is a magnet for growth.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:24 PM

4,040 posts, read 5,453,237 times
It is truly sad that some people have to move from their own preferred areas for jobs- but that's always been true to one degree or another.

What has the OP decided to do?

A little homework on Greenville....
Just moved to Greenville and see nothing but thugs and drunks

Old 08-18-2011, 04:06 PM

5,814 posts, read 5,730,708 times
The original small-minded poster ranting about Greenville SC on that thread has to be talking about a different Greenville that the majority of us who have lived in the south for several years would recognize. Evidently Dallas/Forth Worth has been scrubbed clean since last time I was there two years ago.

Anyone looking for Utopia needs to quickly transfer to South Providence. Or, of course, the East Side of Providence. They wouldn't dare let anything ugly in there.

Hopefully the original poster of this thread has not made a rash decision in the last (only) 11 days. Plenty of homework needs to be done for such a life-altering relocation.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:03 PM

195 posts, read 309,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricutie View Post
I am pondering the thought to move out of RI to either Pa or Ohio. MY dh has lost his job as a welder. There seems to be no jobs for mig welders within RI. CT or Ma. The few that do exist pay too little to survive. He is able to collect. In OH and Pa there are numerous welder positions with decent pay. However here I have a wonderful home in a great neighborhood. I could probably never find such a home to afford in either of the other states. can't get another mortage without a job. The housing market in RI is not good. If I were to sell I am hoping to get a sale that would allow me to move and buy an ok house elsewhere.JUst not sure if we should bite the bullet, venture out of state and checkout the homes, sell the house and move. I believe he can collect unemployment even if we move................ Are people still paying fair prices for homes in RI.
It's a very, very tough call but if you have a "wonderful home in a wonderful neighborhood" then you have something a lot of people wish they had.

We had a wonderful house in a wonderful neighborhood (just over the RI border in MA) about 10 years ago and have missed it ever since.

Have you and your husband really explored all options? Can he travel to work somewhere in the northeast region, even if he's on the road more than he likes until something better/closer comes along? (You said you have, but can you dig deeper?)

Hope it all works out for you but leaving a place you love is not something I'd vote against if at all possible.

Last edited by Gregory P; 08-19-2011 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: asked a question already answered in OP

Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 PM

269 posts, read 390,024 times
I thought I had posted this but I don't think it went through.

We just moved out of RI and into the southern tier of NY. We left RI because there was no way we could afford a home we would love in a neighborhood we would love.

NY tends to get a bad rap about being very expensive...NYC is expensive...and so are the surrounding communities. But once you leave that region of NY, housing is incredibly affordable. Taxes are still up there, yes....but even in that regard, some counties have much lower taxes than others.

For an example (and those of you that have read here long enough have read my example often, I'm sure). We are about a week away from closing on a 3500 sq ft home that sits on just shy of 2.5 acres in the middle of an absolutely gorgeous farming community minutes north of Keuka Lake. We are smack in the center of the Finger Lakes region. Our new county is one of those counties with lower tax rates and so the property that we are purchasing for 115k (appraised at 145k...but needs some work to get it to that value) will have an annual tax figure of just over 2k a year. That includes all road taxes, fire taxes, school taxes, etc.

The weather here is very similar to the weather in RI...we are far enough south that we do not get hit with the amount of snow that Buffalo and even Rochester are hit with. Temperatures are equivalent.

Our home in RI...a three family on the Valley Falls/Central Falls line was bought for 270k and valued at close to 300k at the peak of the market. It's currently worth much less than that, but still much more than what it would be here in NY. Our annual taxes were over 4k a year and that did not include fire taxes or road taxes (figure an additional thousand for those two combined).

The biggest downfall that most folks find to moving here to this part of NY is that jobs can be hard to come by. For us, it was a no-brainer...my husband's job is such that he can find employment anywhere in the country.

For your husband...being a welder, I would say that he could probably find employment here in the southern tier of NY pretty readily. With the gas drilling going on (both currently and impending), I would think he'd have plenty of job opportunities here.

One caution...I personally would not buy a home in northern PA. While the gas drilling has brought all kinds of employment opportunities, it has also hurt the environment and brought down home values. For that reason, I would also caution against buying a property in the southern tier. Where we bought our home, it seems to be far enough north that we shouldn't see much of an impact, if any, of the drilling. It means an hour commute for my husband...but to us, it's worth it.

Good luck with the decisions ahead of you. We left for greener pastures and boy did we find them. It's beautiful here and leaving RI was the best decision we could have made. But...we had a job first and that was key. Definitely look for a job first and be open to where that job might be located. Do your homework...lots of it. :-) The folks here at city-date were very very helpful. :-) Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island