Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:31 PM

605 posts, read 1,092,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
actually, by crime index i believe providence will be tied for the safest city I've ever lived in.
Ya know what...go for it. You can show everyone that they are wrong.

By the way, the former chief of police cooked the crime figures so they look good, but hey you may have good luck, let us all know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 20,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geegollygosh View Post
Comparing neighborhood to neighborhood they're pretty similar to several places I've lived in chicago and cincinnati. but honestly, I was just being snarky-- even if the crime indexes are the same, it's totally possible that crime in the west end is random and senseless while crime in other neighborhoods I've lived in is concentrated around gangs or other specific factors and therefore wouldn't effect me as much-- that's what this thread is for... to feel that out.

Anyway, I know I'm coming off with an obnoxious attitude, but honestly this really isn't a 'i'm tough enough' thing, I'm just trying to push people to give me more details than "carry a gun" because that's totally unhelpful.

Your second response had some of the details I was hoping to get when I posted the thread, thanks. I'm fine with people being negative, I just want them to give me a feel for the neighborhood as they do it (like beth98 did).
It's ok, you are only coming off as obnoxious as I am! And I only think the concealed carry suggestion is unhelpful because it is borderline impossible to get here, unless you know somebody. Personal safety is a big issue here in my opinion, the police are going through a rough patch... Big financial issues, leadership issues, and a series of very public scandals (such as a drug ring, and the former mayor/current congressman's attorney brother conspiring with cops to shakedown drug suppliers in exchange for dropping cases. Among other even worse abuses.) Rhode Island has some beautiful areas, and some very affluent areas. But this state is generally a black hole, with the second worst unemployment rate in the country. And this is among the worst, poorest, least educated, most dilapidated sections. That's all I've got to say, get some heavy duty security locks, maybe a dog, and good luck.

And by the way, you need a car. RIPTA sucks, and they are cutting it back even further. And, everywhere in the city is lousy with gigantic, small dog-sized rats. I have hit many with my car on accident. They feel like clipping a curb.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Oh they're coming out of the woodwork now!!!! Dog size rats my eye!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Oh they're coming out of the woodwork now!!!! Dog size rats my eye!
Id say chihuahua sized...which is a small dog. Do you not keep your garbage outside? No dumpsters around? If so, are you sure you are in providence?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:07 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,315 times
You sure you aren't seeing rat sized dogs?

Meanwhile, OP, why are you set on the Armory district? Affordability? Proximity?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:21 PM

55 posts, read 118,230 times
I don't see the big deal everyone is making out of west end/armory. I've lived in providence a few months now and some areas are hit or miss ,but it's a city so what do you expect? I have a place in federal hill and just bought a multi unit family home in smith hill that i will be remting out and I enjoy the area myself. No place is going to be perfect, good luck

Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 AM

29 posts, read 59,484 times
I do have a car, hopefully it will help me survive in the case of an attack by a dog sized rat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post

Meanwhile, OP, why are you set on the Armory district? Affordability? Proximity?
I'm not really set on it, I've just got an apt that sounds good lined up there. I've been looking in other neighborhoods too, but this is pretty much a perfect situation in terms of roommates and budget so the location is the only potential problem.

But yeah, both affordability and proximity to where I'm working-- I'll be working in a suburb west of providence and doing a lot of driving around the metro area so I like that it is central. And I'm on a tight budget between not making much money and student loan payments so renting for $300 vs the $400-600 that I've seen on the east side would be really great and would be the difference between having a relatively decent budget for extras and emergencies vs. living with no extras and putting emergencies on a credit card.

Last edited by geegollygosh; 08-11-2011 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
LOL! Those must have been squirrels I've been seeing for decades. Yes, squirrels, with a genetic condition that prevents bushy tails.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geegollygosh View Post
I do have a car, hopefully it will help me survive in the case of an attack by a dog sized rat.
Nah, the car suggestion was to help avoid a different type of attack while waiting for the bus on Cranston street, particularly after 8 during the winter. Now you just need to be concerned about car jacked and going to Roger Williams park for a few hours type attacks. Or, going way back, ending up on a golf course outside of the creative capital type attacks. (any of you tourism board members want to explain what I'm referencing there? No, of course not) but I can see now that a 23 year old from corn country who has never been here before knows better than virtually every response on this topic, sort of makes the whole exercise pointless doesn't it.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:36 PM

29 posts, read 59,484 times
sorry to drag this trainwreck of a thread up again, but I have another question and I thought it made sense to use the same thread.

So while keeping the comments about my body being dragged out of a river to a minimum, I'd also like some non hysterical feedback about Smith Hill. Near Douglas and Goddard. Between these two areas (wood and messer vs. douglas and goddard), is one safer than the other?

Smith Hill is less appealing because its not as well located, looks to be kind of urban sprawl-y, and I'm not sure I want to live somewhere totally populated by students. But if it is significantly safer that's obviously a factor (although the crime index for the two look to be about the same?)

Those who feel they're wasting their time probably are. Feel free not to chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island